Brake pad types?

Riedy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys.
I am in need of some new brake pads, but problem is I dont know what type of brake pad to get. I have juicy 3's and am wondering what pad type would be better suited to DH riding/racing. Semi Metallic or Sintered?
Which would last longer? Which would have better modulation? Which has better stopping force?:confused:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Avid Juicy 3’s arent suited to dh racing full stop (as there a budget xc brake at that!) and different pads wont stop the massive fade you’ll get mid way through a run. Save up for some Avid Elixirs if your on a budget or Shimano Saints if you want the power!

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
to answer the OP's question

After a quick google for some text to back up my thinking...

Choose from:

* Organic / Resin: The Resin brake pads are an organic compound that is best suited to dry conditions. Providing good stopping power and great modulation, the Resin pads are also quiter than their Metallic counterparts. However, the Resin pads will wear faster in the wet and so are an ideal brake pad for dry, Australian summers.

* Sintered Metallic: The Sintered Metallic compound is an all-round brake pad that is ideal for wet conditions. Although a little noisier than Organic pads, the Sintered Metallics provide consistent stopping power through all conditions, reduces braking fade on long downhills and feature improved wear life.

Hope this helps.

Avid Juicy 3’s arent suited to dh racing full stop (as there a budget xc brake at that!) and different pads wont stop the massive fade you’ll get mid way through a run. Save up for some Avid Elixirs if your on a budget or Shimano Saints if you want the power!
evObda2: I know your trying to help but the question wasn't whether the brakes are suited to DH, it was about which pads are better. Maybe it would be better to just answer the question and add a little advice about the type of brake at the end? I know as a relative newbie I'd much prefer that kind of response. :)

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
evObda2: I know your trying to help but the question wasn't whether the brakes are suited to DH, it was about which pads are better. Maybe it would be better to just answer the question and add a little advice about the type of brake at the end? I know as a relative newbie I'd much prefer that kind of response. :)
Its merely pointing out that no matter what pad choice, there isnt going to be much difference in feel, modulation, brake fade and power if you are using juicy 3’s for his specified dh/race use.

My advice was, instead of wasting money on trying all types of different pads and beating a dead horse.. Save for some brakes which will be more suited to his/her specified use.. which is dh/race. :)

frensham

Likes Dirt
Hey guys.
I am in need of some new brake pads, but problem is I dont know what type of brake pad to get. I have juicy 3's and am wondering what pad type would be better suited to DH riding/racing. Semi Metallic or Sintered?
Which would last longer? Which would have better modulation? Which has better stopping force?:confused:
Try these guys. http://www.discobrakes.com They have a few different compounds and good descriptions of what to expect in terms of braking etc. Prices are good and free delivery!
You don't mention what compound you are using now and what the issues are. Brake fade? Noise? Performance? You won't get much in the way of modulation (regardless of compound used) from Juicy 3s but a bigger rotor up front will help with the downhill performance.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In the theme of the thread, I have a question.

Is there any difference between semi-metallic and sintered?
Or are they the same pad, with just a different description?

macca21

Likes Dirt
semi-metallic and sintered are different^^^

Organic pads:
Fast wear-in time
Best modulation (softest pad material)
Wear out faster
Least 'bite'
Quietest

Sintered pads:
Longest wear-in time
Least modulation (hardest pad material)
Long-lasting
Get hot the quickest
Least affected by heat increase (no organic material)
Most 'bite'
Noisiest
Least affected by weather conditions

Semi-metallic:
Made of both organic and metallic material, hence SEMI-metallic
Semi-metallc pads' characteristics are in-between the two above.

Go with the sintered ones i reckon, last heaps longer than semi or organic pads and you'll need all the power you can get with 3's.... get a set for both ends and then start saving for new brakes like evObda2 said.

Last edited:

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my experience semi-metallic have almost all the strengths of each (organic and sintered) as long as they're ridden in dry conditions only. However i've only used semi-metallic pads in formula brakes, and I guess performance and feel would vary slightly for different systems.
Another thing to keep in mind is that sintered pads will wear your rotors down at a faster rate.

Last edited:

Riedy

Likes Dirt
Off the SRAM web-site - This is what stock Avid Juicy 3's come with.

Juicy 3

Intended use - Trail / All-Mountain / Freeride

Finish - Satin Black

Rotor Sizes - 160 / 185 / 203mm

Rotor - G2 Clean Sweep

TRI-ALIGNTM Caliper Positioning System TM - Yes

PAD TYPE - Organic

Fluid type - Dot 4

PAD CONTACT-POINT ADJUSTMENT - N/A

Split Clamp design / Matchmaker compatible - N/A

Power Reserve Geometry TM - Yes

Tool -free pad replacement - Yes

ambidextrous - Yes

Drip -free bleeding - Yes

SPECIAL FEATURES - N/A

Now - My Avid Juicy 3's came stock with my 09 Norco Atomik. I was thinking get Sintered pads as I do need more braking power and will replace the stock Dot 4 fluid with Dot 5.1 as it is better than Dot 4 fluid as Dot 5.1 can handle heat better than Dot 4. Also will give the brake a full brake bleed.
That should give me loads of power i say:D
Also to those who say get new brakes, don't worry as I am saving for new brakes, most likely Avid Elixer CR's. But at the moment will be using Juicy 3's, so I want to get the most out of them that I can get out. And most of my riding/racing takes place in Summer so I ride/race on dry tracks.

:cool:

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do yourself a favour and buy a set of EBC pads. they have several different types and personally i have used the dh race brakes and they were a were un comparable to normal pads.

i belive jensonusa have it

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
Its merely pointing out that no matter what pad choice, there isnt going to be much difference in feel, modulation, brake fade and power if you are using juicy 3’s for his specified dh/race use.

My advice was, instead of wasting money on trying all types of different pads and beating a dead horse.. Save for some brakes which will be more suited to his/her specified use.. which is dh/race. :)
I see your point mate. Its turned into a good discussion now so no great loss.

macca21

Likes Dirt
Usually organic - softest pads have the most bite?
the softest compound actually compresses a bit when it contacts the rotor, so you only get the max power once the pad has compressed as far as it can. unlike sintered pads that don't compress because of the hard compound, giving max power from the beginning of pad-disc contact.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
O will replace the stock Dot 4 fluid with Dot 5.1 as it is better than Dot 4 fluid as Dot 5.1 can handle heat better than Dot 4.
I would probably advise against this, although if your hellbent on doing it, email someone at Avid first

Riedy

Likes Dirt
I would probably advise against this, although if your hellbent on doing it, email someone at Avid first
I had a look on Avids web site, and it clearly says that all* Avid brakes can be ran with Dot 4 fluid or Dot 5.1 fluid.

Also this is what im going to do:
Sintered pads
Give it full brake bleed
Replace Dot 4 fluid with Dot 5.1

^^That should give me a far bit of power?:confused: