Brakes Other than Shimano and Avid for Downhill?

horsey

Likes Dirt
saints and formula the ones are both awesome brakes! difficult to say which I would pick as my number one choice.

but the best brakes I have tested are the new 2011 XTR's. they are just simply awesome!! hopefully this technology makes its way into the next version of saints...

datnat

Likes Dirt
+1 for Hope V2's...

Well I have just purchased a set of front and rear kits from Wiggle. They had the cheapest price I could find, delivered and they only sell them with the floating rotors (V2) of a 'normal' rotor (M4), with the option to upgrades.

While I haven;t given them a real workout yet, the initial feel is excellent, a bit of time and patience required to set them up, but once this is done they are very impressive. The fact that the amount of pressure applied to the lever (modulation) dictates the brake 'force' is a real plus for me, the build quality is excellent, and so far the avaliability of parts is good (olives, seal and rebuiold kits etc). Bleeding the brake is easy compared to some other brands, with videos on YouTube the best I have found so far. Another website offers some great run throughs of basic maintenance jobs complete with pictures! http://steveukmtb.wordpress.com/hope-braided-hydraulic-brake-hose-assembly/ ( shortening the braided hose - my first job!)
They have replaced some Avid Codes, and while they were a good brake, the adjustibilty, build quality and most importantly the modulation has proved to be a worthy upgrade.

I fussed over the M4 or V2 and went with the V2 for the slightly more braking power afforded, and they were about $7 cheaper per end!

Hope (no pun intended) this helps in some way.

scblack

Leucocholic
Formula don't just offer 'the One' in the DH/FR arena.
Have you considered the new FR version of the Ones?
Shares the same caliper as 'the One' but with the master cyclinder of the RX. (Around $120 cheaper for F+R using CRC as a guide).
I did look at that too. FR version approx. $500, "The One" approx. $600, Saints approx. $370.

Sorry to repeat myself, but I could not see the value beyond Saints.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
As much as I'd liek to hear your review on new Hopes, or Formulas. I think your best and cheapest option is to get new Saints, then you'll have spares.
Possibly get the new(2011)XTR levers if they're compatable. Or just get the whole XTR brakes, and use the Saint calipers you have for the front, and keep the two spare calipers for spares.
That's what I'd be doing, but I've not given it as much thought as I would.

macca21

Likes Dirt
formula the ones are great, the slow spring back in the lever that you felt would be the pistons being 'sticky'. the levers on mine spring back just like any other brake.
maybe your brakes need to have the pistons pumped out a bit and then bled? might help keep them there...
another option would even be the formula megas, i believe that's what minaar used to run on his honda.
consider second-hand brakes? i got my formulas, (2008 the ones), for 350.
they have massive power but unlike the saints they have great modulation as well.

Red.

Likes Dirt
9 out of 10 reliability? Are you on crack? I run a set of Elixir Rs on my downhill rig, and they require a constant look out in the maintenance department. No doubt, they're great brakes, but you need to maintain them meticulously.

I'd advise against using any of the higher end Avid brakes (XX, XO) as these are designed for XC, but I'd have a look at the new Codes or Code Rs, not too heavy but certainly look the goods!

Can't help you on the Hope brakes though mate.
I had a set of Avid Juicy 5s for 3 years with out a bleed and are still going good, I dont think the AVID elixirs R and CR are as good as the old brakes coz i think they stuffed the Reach Adjustment up, because i have not seen any xx or cr maggs messing up at the lever.

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
saints and formula the ones are both awesome brakes! difficult to say which I would pick as my number one choice.

but the best brakes I have tested are the new 2011 XTR's. they are just simply awesome!! hopefully this technology makes its way into the next version of saints...
Are you talking about the XTR race or trail? I'm not sure they'd be powerful enough for downhill though...

Snip
Hope (no pun intended) this helps in some way.
Thankyou very much for the information. Appreciate it :)

As much as I'd liek to hear your review on new Hopes, or Formulas. I think your best and cheapest option is to get new Saints, then you'll have spares.
Possibly get the new(2011)XTR levers if they're compatable. Or just get the whole XTR brakes, and use the Saint calipers you have for the front, and keep the two spare calipers for spares.
That's what I'd be doing, but I've not given it as much thought as I would.
I agree the Saints are great brakes. Few things I don't like. Dislike the lever, I think it's just how far it is away from the bar. Dislike that you can't buy individual parts from Shimano. Also don't think the modulation is as good as 2 piston brakes of similar quality. They have a very 'off or on feel'. Not much of a grey area. I think I'm just wanting to try something different aswell. I won't deny they're good brakes.

Currently you can't buy XTR lever separately. Just the whole thing (lever/caliper/hose) which I doubt would be powerful enough. They would fit onto Saint calipers. They both have the same 'banjo' fitting but currently my Saint calipers have a problem anyway so they'd be no better than what I have now.

Currently the 3 main options I'm considering are:
-Hope Tech V2's
-Avid Elixir Cr Mag
-Formula The One

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New XTR come in 2 versions. 1 for xc and 1 marketed as a trail brake.. Im seeing that as a competitor for the Elixir CR. So it may worth checking out. Actually wish they were out by the time i finished my xc bike.
Ive had Elixir R’s for dh and they were great. Some people go on about problems, but i never had a problem with them. Good feel and good braking.
I now have Elixir CR on my xc bike, again no problems, good feel, decent braking (even on 6” rotors_.
On my dh i use the new Saint. Yes they do have a more on/off feeling than the Elixir’s but i suspect that’s due to the increased power and i tend to run my levers very close to my lever for quick last minute one finger braking (almost touching on lock up). The other thing is you get used to the modulation and your finger gets used to how far it needs to pull. The old single piston Saints had more feel, but less power.
Ive ridden “The One’s” on a mates bike and they felt ok. I dont think there all there cracked up to be, or it could have just been the set i rode. To me they were the same as my elixirs but with more bling and a huge price tag.

To be honest i think the more modulation you have the more you tend to be inclined to ride the brakes.

Id go elixirs if on a budget, cant really go past them (half the people on the WC tour use them). Or Hope’s if you want something different. Or wait for the new Codes.