Bronson Carbon

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
'Excuse the dirt'? Seriously... hot SC

I'm interested in what you have done with the centre of the pedals around the spindle, added a coarse finish or ground some metal off?

The bar extensions don't look like Deluxe or ODI, what are they?

Austen

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Killer build up, everything looks the part
Interested to know how the brake rotors go, there's a few on eBay with different branding that are priced reasonably

Gripo

Eats Squid
Really this bike came about about on a cause and effect thing.....

I rode some 650b wheels in my old Haro X3> http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?273683-10yrs-on around the new year and loved it, then a week later Damian-SideFx posts a WTB Tallboy LT.....loved and still love the ride a TBLT offers but several weeks later the feel of smaller wheels got me again.

Build was rather budget/basic at the start with the running gear from the TBLT and the 26" Fox 32/150s getting me rolling, so over the next few months it all came together with some new bargain Fox 34/150 forks from 'lobstar" @rotorburn and a Reverb on sale from the LBSand little bits from eBay inspired by Norman.

Down sized the fleet last year to 2 bikes - with the Bronson my only dirt bike and the Highballc just a backroad CX type bike...two different rides at opposite ends of my riding scale.

ChopSticks mitchy_ I've found that the finish of the matte black frames to be way more durable than the paint/clear coated hence why I have this one, but I really hate the orange/blue combo.....geez SC get a better graphics person.

The orange on the Bronson is an odd colour to match in print (ie. the fork graphics) or with Ano....it's not orange and not gold, so to appease the eye I've tried my best to distract it with the blue bits, hence why I won't be doing any orange bits. I think I've succeeded?

Chopsticks SB66 thread has been a great source and motivation...like der, why do I need a seatpost QR if I'm running a dropper and some Ti bits for the seatpost all contributed to making the 500g+ dropper a goer on my bike.

SOTTA the downtube guard is a home made job and certainly protects the underside from shiste', I tried one from the US but it isn't wide enough for my liking. There's also a VPP mudflap that's attached to the bottom of the seat tube, again help protect the lower linkage.

Ev sane I'm liking the pedals and settled on them and like most flats it will depend on what shoe you use and their tread pattern, I only ride cheap running shoes. I've also added some "grip tape" that I purchased from Mitre10 as insurance.

moman sane I wouldn't call them bar extensions persay, they are there to protect the carbon bars and to add a touch of blue....they simply allow me to put my hands right to the end of the bar....Deluxe is the brand.

Wellsey The Bronson got a new 28t ring and chain for the clean up shoot....I was running a 26t from the TBLT, my mantra is spinning (the doc recommends) and to be able to climb and not push, top gear still see's 30kmh!

johnny BT180 It is a great bike BT if you loved the Heckler you'll l.o.v.e. the Bronson.... but there are a lot of other great bikes out there...wish I could have enough time?$'s to enjoy a TBLTc/TRc 650b etal in my shed. Johnny while I was waiting a week or so for a lens to arrive I went out to the shed every arvo to have a beer and look at the Bronson....was almost a ritual....

Austen These rotors have been available under the names of Clarks/Superstar Co/Uber over the past few years. I like them as there is more surface area than a Hope and they were lighter than a Shimano ICE, also they are a proper floating rotor...ping!

fop1 Zelvy's seem to be doing fine and quality is great, I wouldn't hesitate to get another set. Zelvy have dropped the price on a complete Hope Pro2 Evo set to $1250 (I think) which is a bargain. Mine were near that using my own hubs built up by my LBS.

Improvements sometime down the track..... I might look at the Fox 34 Push cartridge from NSDynamics with adjustable Hi/Lo speed compression etc. and maybe CC's new Inline air shock....can't see too much more weight loss possible, carbon cranks won't last in my Gripsport rack...

Some good and bad bits.......bad (disappointments) first!

Fox.....I love you but you need to be more progressive and realize your mistakes, CTD sux the 2014 dampening is better but still not your RLC. Then there's the weight, you need to be more honest....your fork isn't 1940g it's 2100g with a cut steerer/star nut/15mm axle....speaking of the 15mm axle, you need to get the 15mm Kabolt to the market asap.

Thomson....your new 60mm is just a chunk of alloy, I wanted to run it so much but the fact is it's the same weight as a good old Truvativ 60mm Holzfelller.
Then there's the Covert dropper, you took too long with release dates shifting....1st of May suuurreee, maybe next time around.

Good and simple things.

Marsh Guard....yeah, I thought they were for the POM's and a bit of N'duro wank, but they work wet or dry.... simple get one!

Reverb....yeah, you don't think you need one till you ride one and I'm a convert, I reckon that even if you are a pure XC hound that you need one.
The extra weight will go unnoticed maybe 350-400g (dropper-seatpost=actual weight) but RS could knock another 50-70g off it easily with a lighter CNC top/bottom seat clamp, Ti bolts and by reducing the width of the clamp for the bar button. I'd expect dropper relaibility will come with time.....

X9 GXP DM Cranks....DM is the way to go, again makes things simple...awesome.

X01...sorry Shimano lovers (I was) it works incredibly well, 1X simple and has the range...love it.

NW rings.....enough said.

Last edited:

VEX33D

Likes Dirt
Nice review and justification for component selection.

Great overall build, definitely on the dream frame build list.

space_ghost

Likes Bikes
Love the bike, work of art.

I'm interested in the pedals too, were you able to source them local or did you import them?

s e r e n i t y

Cannon Fodder
Thanks for the inspiration Gripper. Fantastic bike.

In terms of suspension do you see yourself changing the front forks to the lighter Rockshox Pike or the rear suspension?

Gripo

Eats Squid
To the fellas above....

The pedals are Xpedo Spry XMX24MC, saw them while trawling through bikerumour.com so have a look there...great review.

I then put the pedal name/model into google and came up with eBay adds, bought mine off eBayer "yem-jacky".

I won't be going Pikes....though I almost had them, LBS wouldn't price match mountainbikesdirect.com.au and when I went back to look at their website the price had miraculously gone up to what the LBS said they could do....suss?

Anyway I'm prejudice against RS stuff, has the look and feel of cheap assed Suntour gear.

Also I've invested some $s into a very light bolt up axle for Fox 15mm forks....but as stated above the Fox is fixable, at a price.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Are those pins xpedo ones, Gripper?

I grabbed a set of Sprys after seeing the pics you posted, but I think I'd like a sharper/thinner pin. I was going to measure up the thread on the spares, but I can't find where I put them, hoping they're the same as Straitlines and such.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are those pins xpedo ones, Gripper?

I grabbed a set of Sprys after seeing the pics you posted, but I think I'd like a sharper/thinner pin. I was going to measure up the thread on the spares, but I can't find where I put them, hoping they're the same as Straitlines and such.
Jagwire S-hooks on their way John!!

Hi up Ev, beleive he swapped out his stock xpedo pins for others...
I got a set of Funn pedal pins from CRC a while back, but they're no longer available from them.
A quick search showed that T7 have them currently in limited colours, see HERE.

Didn't get on with these pedals with stock pins, but the funn's transformed them. Still not great with regular shoes, but they're now awesome with my 5.10 freeride vxi's.

Gripo

Eats Squid
The pins are Superstars Co. and are thinner....they have the same thread as generic grub screws I have as spares, so should be all good Wombat....check first though.

wombat

Lives in a hole
The pins are Superstars Co. and are thinner....they have the same thread as generic grub screws I have as spares, so should be all good Wombat....check first though.
Sweet, haven't had much time on them but I already think the standard pins are too blunt to give the traction I'd like.

jgdj18

Likes Dirt
Nice bike. Have you tried changing the tyres on the zelvy rims yet? I have heard that changing the tyres on some other 35mm rims can be very hard. Any insight?

dhr85

Likes Bikes
well done with the built gripo! : )

I got a Nomad Carbon 26er and want to replace the frame to a new nomad carbon 27.5 or maybe bronson, after seeing your build and weight
i really should rethink all my ideas and go with the bronson, im impressed it can be so light for a 27.5 inch wheeled enduro.
Looks very sexy too, i actually like the bit of orange colour on it, i think you just need to get used to it otherwise paintmybike.com can help
ya out for a little quote but i see you're not close to brissy.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
That is a stunning piece of machinery right there. That weight is amazing without resorting to ridiculous tactics, while still maintaining function. A job well done for sure. Ride with pride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gripo

Eats Squid
update...

Finally maybe......

Bronson had a make over several weeks ago with some decals, these are the same ones I had made for mint355's Bronson (copycats). With my impatience, I didn't have as much luck as Clint at applying mine so I gave up and blacked out all the colour with matte black 3M wrap, then stuck my vinyl decals over....looks good. Knowing I can change the colour at anytime with a phone call is a bonus!

I also gave into the Pike phenomenon, how could all those people be wrong, right...well they are. Over and above current generation Fox forks in the way they ride, the Pikes hark back to the days of Marz smoothness with old gen Fox control and weight, awesome.

The shock yep, same deal awesome....but it's only just been installed, running a base tune off CC lounge that someone had for a Bronson. It's already making me wonder what the hell Fox are doing, seriously.....

A couple other changes is some wider 750mm Thomson carbon bars and Extralite axles front and rear.

Attachments