Building a long-distance road bike?

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
As the miles I'm racking up on my Surly Steamroller has grown, so has my interest in building up a geared, long-distance road bike.

I've had a bit of a look at what the Audax boys are riding and I've pinched a few idea's from their rides.. What I'm hoping to build is a simple, reliable and low maintainence bike. ....But I don't want to go to a pure touring style of bike.. I'd like something that handles with a little zing.. I'm coming from the XC and Track disciplines so like my bikes to be more on the 'racier' end of the scale.

I'd like a steel frame, easy to repair and the ride characteristics are good. The Surly Pacer frame appeals most thus far as it is fairly similar to the Steamroller.. but is it a good choice for a long-distance bike?

and for gearing, I want to keep things super simple. I was thinking about a single front chain ring and a low number of gears on the back, but with a little spread.. Can anyone give me some advice about 7 or 8spd gears/hubs/cassettes? What is availible? What would fit? I don't want to use a 9 or 10spd.. I'd rather have the security of a thicker chain and I've heard that you can build a stronger wheel on a 8spd?

And what about shifters? I was thinging about using the frame mount for the rear derailluer shifter.. what can I buy? Or are these type of shifters totally out of date?

alexb618

Likes Dirt
you can get down tube shifters for the current dura ace 10speed (part number SL 7800) so you can def still source this style. once you decide on the gearing you will have to find the matching shifter... if you go a 7 or 8 speed though they might be harder to find new.

salsa make a nice steel frame which may suit you, cant recall what its called sorry

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't worry about chain strength too much if I were you, unless you have your own reasons?

I've run plenty of 9 speed chains on single speeds and had no issues to speak off. I like your 1 x ? idea - it's very popular with 29er riders in the states. If you want a super strong rear wheel I'd consider going a 1 x 5 using a modified 9 speed cassette - you can do this with a single speed freehub style hub, although your selection will be reduced if you go a 130mm spaced frame.

As for frames, perhaps a steel cx frame might suit - if you want a bit more relaxed position and a sturdier frame - I'd happily ride mine around on the rode. My Voodoo Wazoo has pannier mounts etc too, if that kind of thing float your boat. Maybe not 'zingy' enough though...

Perhaps sir may be interested in the Soma Smoothie ES instead?

PS by long distance do you mean touring long distance, or 100k rides?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Dawes are pretty famous for their touring bikes. A former work colleague of mine used to dream about having a Super Galaxy. Check out the Audax Sport or Supreme http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/audax-supreme.htm (Is that who you meant by Audax boys?)

Re the gears, check out the Shimano SLX thread, there's an internally geared hub with that groupset that might fit the bill. You could then run a 1x chain, and the rear wheel would be a lot tougher as it would be zero dish.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
I like your 1 x ? idea
As I'm already riding long distances and over big hills on 1 gear, why bother with speccing the bike with a whole heap? I reckon 7 or 8 gears would do me.. I'd just like the ability to drop it a notch for HUGE hills and pick it up just a tad for long flat strectches..

Perhaps sir may be interested in the Soma Smoothie ES instead?
Have considerd this frame and the Salsa Casserole.. dunno about the Cass.. something doesn't asthetically gel with me there.. but the Smoothie does look nice.. still, I think the Pacer is leading the race..

by long distance do you mean touring long distance, or 100k rides?
No, not touring.. 100km rides or longer.. say starting at 100km and up to 400km or even as long as 600km.. Kinda wanna do 'em at a little pace.. and I won't be carrying a shedload of gear either.. minimalist eh..

Ah.. Ta for the advice on gearing eh guys..

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Have considerd this frame and the Salsa Casserole.. dunno about the Cass.. something doesn't asthetically gel with me there.. but the Smoothie does look nice.. still, I think the Pacer is leading the race..
The style is a bit cardigans and elbow patches...

The La Raza would also be another to throw into the mix (and looks much nicer).

As for the gears - how about some down tube friction shifters and a 5 speed cassette made up of Surly (or Chris King for bling) steel cogs - it would last forever

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
how about some down tube friction shifters and a 5 speed cassette made up of Surly (or Chris King for bling) steel cogs - it would last forever
5 Speed? Well. I didn't know such a thing existed eh.. also regarding someones earlier question of Rolhoff.. I don't have that much coin..

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you just wanting to build this purely for the style??
I dont see whats wrong with a roadie off the shelf... 9/10 speed is plenty strong enough if you look after your gear.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Are you just wanting to build this purely for the style??
If you are mean style as in a steel framed enduro styled roadie? Then yes. If you are implying as in fashion.. then no.. I just want something that I can ride all day over a long distance and not axe my back on.. So built for comfort and has a little bit of speed.. so not quite a tourer, not quite a racer.. I think 'Audax' style best sums it up I suppose..

I dont see whats wrong with a roadie off the shelf...
Price, spec and geometry. Within my price range there is little that appeals and most of what is availible stock I would modify and upgrade anyway so I'm better of building and getting exactly what I want.. (proably will buy a bit of 2nd hand spec)

I don't want a aluminium or carbon frame.. I'm after steel and their isn't a whole bunch of steel completes about..

9/10 speed is plenty strong enough if you look after your gear.
Well, I'm not saying that it's not but I'd rather have a more spaced out cassette like a 8spd and run the thicker chain.. simply for realiability etc etc

floz

Likes Dirt
Just a thought - you should have a look at a steel frame I have in the shed when you come up in March. Its a custom built job with Colnago stickers, Columbus reinforced tubing, internally routed cables etc. Can't remember exact size off the top of my head. I was going to do something with it but it will probably never eventuate. I used to race on it back in the day and it was fast handling but it was good for riding around all day too, I was quite comfortable on it. Nothing real flash, its a creamy sort of colour, could do with a strip back an a paint or powder coat. I bought it 2nd hand with magnesium forks, but new carbon ones would be a better match. Can send photos if you are interested.