Bullying - again

NCR600

Likes Dirt
i'm not sure of your point here? you've basically said you don't need welfare? that's great?
Wrong.
I need welfare as much as anyone else does. What I don't need is capitalist money changers and spivs. Neither does anyone that produces something as opposed to someone who shuffles lucre around and lives off the sweat of engineers, scientists and the rest of the people who actully produce something for the benefit of society.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Seventyseven, for an economist your social thought processes are surprisingly irrational! The polar opposites between your love and belief in money and your hatred of people is astounding. You should know better than to let your true character seep into your economic arguments.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I get the feeling that people don't enter into it too much, it's about the bottom line to the exclusion of all else.

Zero tax, market driven, user pays. You want it, you can afford it, you take it. Simple.

Middo

Likes Bikes
I just want to thank FR Drew, Arete, S, NCR600 et al who have repeatedly taken the time to point out the flaws in 77's sociopathic ramblings, in a more succinct and measured tone than I could. Keep it up guys.

Heaven help us all if he ever works his way into a position with corporate or political influence.

floody

Wheel size expert
floody gets it. what i'm simply saying is that let's pick an arbitrary amount of time (for the sake of demonstrating the principle), let's say a year, for the dole to go on for. if you can't find yourself a job within a year (i would imagine this is a more than reasonable amount of time for someone to find work) then you just have to deal with the consequences once it ends. society could dictate how long that period of time was (hooray for democracy).

what is so wrong with that?

Mmmm kind of. I'm more saying its just not right for someone fit and healthy to fiddle the system staying on welfare for many years and then bring children into the government subsidised equation. All well and good for the masses to support individuals and extant families in hard times, but I baulk at the idea that they should be allowed, nee encouraged to increase their (thus our) economic burden by creating children while on the social payroll.

A case in point is someone I once knew, who, while on welfare for the bulk of the 00s and half of 2010, with no ailment or disability (beyond an unrealistic attitude and expectations), brought into the world a 4 and 6 year old, was extended a loan for a $15k car, had a 'drift project car' and so forth. Job opportunities were rejected for not allowing him to be a free spirit, for stopping him from seeing his children during work hours - ironic that not seeing his kids from 9-5 was quoted as a reason not to go through with a job, because it would 'hurt their development' - reasons of uniform, too boring, not enough pay versus welfare subsidies and so on.

As I say, all well and good to help someone when they're down, but a whole other kettle of fish to kick in to help them because they're down, then consciously decided to make their existence even harder with family and economic burdens. Hopes and dreams do not support children or satisfy debts. Hard work does. I just think living on welfare - if you are not disabled or ill - should be adequate, not comfortable.

I suppose there is always the problem of where to draw the line though and stamping out the above sort of rorting would inevitably disadvantage some actually in need.

Last edited:

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
seventyseven, maybe you missed the point that I was taking the piss based upon you being a tool in the post you made at abut 5:15 on the 24th. Sorry, I should have just said "seventyseven, don't be a wanker".

If you bothered to think deeper rather than just retort, you would see that what I was proposing would remove benefits from most of the public service, all of the arts, the publishers of green left weekly, the scientologists, real estate agents, lawyers etc etc etc. It was a joke.

On many points we disagree, this is true. My feeling is that we've got ourselves into a very unsustainable situation world wide, many countries are environmentally rooted now through man's actions.

Cost/benefit analysis only works if the full impact of an action is given its correct value. Triple bottom line accounting isn't a brand new concept, it simply makes it clear that grabbing what you can and hang the long term consequences isn't financially viable. For this reason, companies with a financial interest in this sort of action don't use it because it runs counter to their profit margin.

People who are willing to develop a resource have done great things and are vital to society. You won't get me denying that. But if obtaining and developing that resource doesn't account for the damage done and comes at the detriment of other systems then we aren't paying the correct price for it. If we can pay to remediate the damage done or provide alternative ecosystem and people are still willing to buy the commodity at the price this entails then I say go for it. If the price is unviable, then exploiting that particular resource in the way proposed is not cost effective and it shouldn't happen.

It costs money to put a toilet in your house. Is it appropriate to just go to someone else's place and crap in their loungeroom? That way you don't bear an unnecessary cost and cleaning up the crap is someone else's problem. This is basically what you've been advocating.

If the above is your viewpoint and you're fine with that, then yes, you're correct, I have a very dim view of "people like you". That doesn't make me anti capitalist, that just makes me anti selfish wanker who doesn't give a rats about anyone else.

Or maybe you do get it and you're just having fun poking people like me with sticks to get a rise. That's fine too.

BTW, yes, I agree that some folks shouldn't be allowed to breed, I just don't place jobless as the only criteria.
on 3x line accounting - agreed, for the most part. but the problem is that many of these things cannot be quantified. if it's something like the BP oil spill that had $X cost of cleaning up, you can get a bit closer. but how do you value say, a gram of carbon? do you just stick an arbitrary price on it?

expanding on that problem, why stick a price on it at all? if consumers cared about the environment and didn't want the polluters to pollute, then they would simply stop buying their products. if they continue to buy them then society has decided that despite the pollution, the companies products are of net benefit to be produced (because hey, they're buying them).

i really don't get your analogy about shitting in someone elses place either. how am i doing this to anyone?

interesting about your last paragraph. what criteria are they?

Welfare is an evolutionarily mutualistic/altruistic scenario. The population sacrifices some resources to the direct benefit of the individual. In return, the population as a whole gets a more stable social and resource structure, in which amassing and maintaining resource stocks in the first place is more effective.i'm sorry. how? how can the population as a whole amass/hoarde more resources when they're being forcibly given to others? i assume is that once the others are "on their feet" so to speak they then produce/collect/gather/hunt enough surplus resources that their previous gifts end up being paid back or even earn interest? if that is the case then there is no need for welfare as people will just lend them the resources. You also act to maintain population diversity, which is important in variable selective environments. Population and individual fitness are selected for or against in this manner by population benefit vs individual costs which is averaged out over evolutionary relevant spatial and temporal scales.

In most applications of social darwinism, an incorrect, oversimplified version of the scientific theory is adapted to justify an otherwise unacceptable stance or behaviour - zionism, greed, bigotry, etc. In this way it's about as logically relevant as creation "science" in which you try and apply evidence that actually opposes your point of view to justify it and resultantly make absolutely no logical sense.
i'm not entirely sure of the point you're trying to make here, are you saying that people often do good things for others and evolution dictates that we will?

if that's the case, then i absolutely agree. this is why charities exist. what i'm against is FORCIBLY taking resources from those who do NOT want to donate it and then effectively giving those who take them an infinite supply of said resources.

if people can survive on charities, that is great and i think it's a good thing that society donates money to them. but the thing with that situation is that society is giving them EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT THEM TO HAVE.

if we were to remove welfare, then the exact amount of altruism/otherwise desired by society would occur. forcibly taking (taxing) people and then paying it out in welfare is ensuring that there are levels of this ABOVE what is desired by society as a whole and is therefore an unnatural level of subsidy/encouragement of people to do nothing.

so you still think that because your not a pro rider its fine for them not to let you ride a bike for the rest of your life ? thats kinda what your saying,
that analogy doesn't work. in your analogy, everyone else would have to be paying for the bike. i'm sure if you were to buy someone a bike as say, an investment that you get x% of their race winnings you'd have conditions of use yes? the dole is not a gift, it's an "investment" or so people would have you believe.

Uhh where did I ever mention capitalism increasing GDP? You totally missed the point - I said that the nations with the most highly MODERATED capitalistic approaches in the world (Norway, Sweden, Australia etc) typically demonstrate the highest standards of living. It's not a coincidence, it's what happens to societal productivity when the weak are helped to become healthy, educated and productive rather than told "too bad, fight harder for your scraps". I suggest you visit those countries when you get a chance, you'll find them on Planet Earth. They are quite pleasant places! rubbish. if these people were of net benefit (i.e able to pay their welfare back in future) then they wouldn't need welfare - someone would lend them the money. i'm not saying that welfare doesn't necessarily already work like that, i'm saying that if it's the case then welfare isn't necessary.

There is such a ridiculous number of assumptions in your post that I literally can't believe you even bother. Minimum wages aren't unrealistic in their present sense, and in fact they prevent a lot of abuse of employees simply because people don't get trapped in the situation where they are too poor to get out of their job and/or living situation. If minimum wages (and Australia's is about the highest in the world) actually forced people out of the labour market, why is it that our unemployment rate of ~5% is also one of the lowest in the world? Basically because your theory isn't representative of reality. rubbish, rubbish and rubbish. minimum wage does several things: it ensures that any jobs valued below its level no longer exist. it ensures that those who do not have labour valued at its level are sacked and can no longer earn an income, it results in the rest of us having to pay MORE taxes in order to keep those people alive (on the dole) and it ensures that those who are willing to work at lower rates cannot compete with those who will work at higher ones. e.g you pay someone skilled to work at $15 an hour, but there are two unskilled guys who work at half pace you could pay $7 an hour, saving you $1 an hour and providing an extra person with work - that situation is now illegal. to add onto this, because you've saved yourself $1 an hour you have cut costs and therefore can offer your products at a lower price - the $7 an hour those two earn is all of a sudden more valuable.

Can you live on half the money in the US and achieve the same standard of living? No you cannot - stuff simply doesn't cost twice as much here as it does there. Hence why anybody employed full time in Australia generally has a decent standard of living, yet the poor in the US (and Canada) can be seriously MEGA poor. Go have a look one day. Education rates in Australia also shit on both those places. ok. let's assume you're right. why do you have to have X living standard at all? why does this have to be provided for you? that's just encouragement for you to sit on your ass and do nothing (or drink yourself into a stupor every day). in fact, a lower relative minimum wage like you think they have there is only going to make finding work for these people easier.

Basically, you're a "capitalist" because it suits YOU - since you've obviously been born into a social stratum where you're all but guaranteed to come out on top. i'll cover this in my non-bolded response

It has been demonstrated that countries with low government interference with economics often have enormous GDPs (USA being the prime example) but also leave considerable numbers of people living in poverty with a shit quality of life. The problem with those uber-capitalist societies is that one mistake can fuck you up entirely - if you're a low income worker in the US and can't afford health insurance, one hospital visit for something relatively minor can literally bankrupt you, and financially force you into a hole you can't dig yourself out of because you now have a debt you need to work full time for bugger all money just to make minimum repayments, meaning you can't get an education and get a decent job, nor borrow money because your liabilities outweigh your assets. In Aus/Sweden/Norway/NZ, where tax rates are higher, minimum wages are higher and healthcare is heavily subsidised if not free, that situation is FAR less likely. correlation is not causation. also, your solution to something being too expensive because there is "too much" demand for it is... to increase demand for it.

Essentially, you've made up a whole lot of swiss cheese theory that doesn't actually reflect the real world, just because you've decided it's an apt analogy to (wrongly) compare evolutionary survival of the fittest in an individual context to complex societies, from a position you were lucky enough to be born and raised in where you have a huge headstart on most of society. I guarantee that if you were the one trying to get ahead and start your own business on the $6.50 minimum wage in the US instead of the $14 minimum wage here, you'd be singing a different tune for starters. and what if my labour was only worth $13.99 an hour and i'm left on the dole? not only do i now have an even lower income, but everyone else have to pay for it as well, resulting in their net incomes being lower to boot. to compound this further, the dole doesn't pay $13.99 an hour because if there was the extra cent an hour wouldn't be worth an hour of my labour. so essentially the dole has to be low enough that the extra $X an hour is worth going to work for. if the dole is $400 a week, then minimum wage is only $4 net per hour. to add even further, what if my labour was worth $13.50 an hour? i've essentially just been given a pay cut with the mini wage/dole in place, as i'm now sitting on my ass "earning" an effective $10 an hour
do you have any education in austrian economics?

i didn't think so. you've made a lot of correlation=causation assumptions and i'm afraid just don't understand things. minimum wage for starters. it's the most anti-poor law there is.

and for the record, i come from a working/low class and middle class family. i'm not some asshole that cares about nobody else at all, quite the contrary. the more i learn about my field, the more libertarian/leave everything alone i become.

also, about us having 5% unemployment and it being one of the lowest in the world, this is true. however you also need to factor in participation rates. but this is irrelevant until you examine the cause of said unemployment - the money streaming in from mining. i can't begin to describe just how fucked we are when those rocks run out. (long story short, our unemployment rate isn't because we're taxed high and have high minimum wages and a lucrative unemployment sector)

on education, that's another madness. the whole idea that all education=good education is ridiculous.

currently the law is that you absolutely HAVE to go to school (not learn anything, just go) until you are at least 18 (16 in some states). why? this is ridiculous. let's say we keep public education in place, and let parents (and kids once they're a little older) decide how long they go to school for. how many people do you hear of dropping out of school at illegally young ages that have done perfectly fine for themselves? this is proof that not everyone needs to go to school and finish year 12. to compound this further, how many people out there do you know that at work use NOTHING they learned in school? exactly. if such knowledge was either needed before work, or could not be taught on the job then employers would simply NOT hire these people and they would be forced to either find alternative jobs or go back to school.

the entire system would look after itself.

Wrong.
I need welfare as much as anyone else does. What I don't need is capitalist money changers and spivs. Neither does anyone that produces something as opposed to someone who shuffles lucre around and lives off the sweat of engineers, scientists and the rest of the people who actully produce something for the benefit of society.
not getting your point here? you're saying you don't need the people that provide you with work?

Seventyseven, for an economist your social thought processes are surprisingly irrational! The polar opposites between your love and belief in money and your hatred of people is astounding. You should know better than to let your true character seep into your economic arguments.
not at all. austrian economics ftw.

I get the feeling that people don't enter into it too much, it's about the bottom line to the exclusion of all else.

Zero tax, market driven, user pays. You want it, you can afford it, you take it. Simple.
essentially yes.

Last edited:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
77 your posts about Egypt were interesting. Since then, it's been a bit of a worry...
Did you realise that virtually ALL parents receive government benefits, regardless of income? There is an upper limit but it is huge. Well over 99% of parents receive benefits.
Off with their heads, huh?

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
77 your posts about Egypt were interesting. Since then, it's been a bit of a worry...
Did you realise that virtually ALL parents receive government benefits, regardless of income? There is an upper limit but it is huge. Well over 99% of parents receive benefits.
I have been watching this thread with interest/ for kicks

I'm going to jump in at this point however

The most significant benefit that parents recieve is family tax benefit part A - essentially every family with an income under $150k recieves a signficant tax cut so long as their U18 kids remain dependents - they also get a whole host of cash benefits whilst their kids are in school

Lets be very clear - a family income of 150k does NOT put you in the top 1% of earners in this country - not even close.

But I understand you were referring to the other smaller benefits that are available to just about every parent (you used the figure 99% - i suspect this was just a literary device, not a statistic as such) The only reason that families with incomes over 150k have access to these benefits is because our taxation system is inefficient. I dont begrudge a family with a massive income getting their $550 hand out for education related computer expenses because - lets face for it - they've paid so much in tax, its hardly a travesty to give them a little bit back

The Henry Tax Review that everyone has been waving about for a couple of months says (in a round about way) that cash handouts are generally inefficient - they would be much more efficiently given to the Australian people as tax cuts (for example, your marginal rate of taxation for your first 30k earnt could drop by 6c/$1 earnt rather than giving you the $800 of primary school age kid handouts they are currently getting)

So you are right Knopey, it seems a little odd that a couple of benefits are still granted to 150k+ income earning families (even if they dont get the biggies eg Family Tax Benefit Part A and the whole host of benefits which go to the people who are eligable for it) this is not actually the fault of the families, it is the fault of our taxation system - they are acting in an entirely rational fashion to get what is offered to them

As per usual, blame the government, not the people

77 only goes after the heads of people who exploit the government, not those who get given back what was theirs in the first place

On a side note, its not relavent to my above post, but I did learn in economics 111 last year (its actually subject 2 in the first year economics line up - somebody should sort out their numbering system) that minimum wage laws are bad for workers - yes, I was taught that as fact and it wasnt open for discussion - and I found the reasons why to be compelling. (I only mention this because it seems to have come up quite recently in the thread)

Keep on raging everybody!

-Andrew:)

seventyseven

nope, cancel the welfare.

people seem to think that this is all of a sudden going to make people $X poorer. this is not the case. if people have $x less, then they're going to demand less as well. less demand = lower prices. that means that the $N-X that they'll have after the cancelling of the welfare will have a higher purchasing power than it otherwise would have.

FRDREW - found an interesting article about externalities. http://mises.org/daily/5085/Accounting-for-the-Unaccountable-The-Case-of-Externalities thought you might like it. it gets to my point a little bit better - just how do you value an externality? you can't really. if you let the market decide, then the demand for the externality-causing producer will be an objective sum of all the subjective players and values of said players in the demand market.

Last edited:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Lets be very clear - a family income of 150k does NOT put you in the top 1% of earners in this country - not even close.

But I understand you were referring to the other smaller benefits that are available to just about every parent (you used the figure 99% - i suspect this was just a literary device, not a statistic as such) The only reason that families with incomes over 150k have access to these benefits is because our taxation system is inefficient. I dont begrudge a family with a massive income getting their $550 hand out for education related computer expenses because - lets face for it - they've paid so much in tax, its hardly a travesty to give them a little bit back

The Henry Tax Review that everyone has been waving about for a couple of months says (in a round about way) that cash handouts are generally inefficient - they would be much more efficiently given to the Australian people as tax cuts (for example, your marginal rate of taxation for your first 30k earnt could drop by 6c/$1 earnt rather than giving you the $800 of primary school age kid handouts they are currently getting)

So you are right Knopey, it seems a little odd that a couple of benefits are still granted to 150k+ income earning families (even if they dont get the biggies eg Family Tax Benefit Part A and the whole host of benefits which go to the people who are eligable for it) this is not actually the fault of the families, it is the fault of our taxation system - they are acting in an entirely rational fashion to get what is offered to them

As per usual, blame the government, not the people
Oh totally, I may have been misunderstood here - I definitely was not saying people on 150k were in the top 1%, nor that these people should not receive something.

I wasn't even blaming anyone :) Just pointing out that a blanket statement as I've quoted below from someone else often results in absurdities, such as no one being allowed to be a parent. Because as you've said, there are the other smaller benefits that are available to just about every parent. And the black and white rule as wished for in his ideal world don't allow parents to receive anything - as he said below ;)

77 only goes after the heads of people who exploit the government, not those who get given back what was theirs in the first place
Unfortunately I don't think he's making that distinction well enough, as below (emphasis mine):

honestly, if there wasn't such a potential for abuse of power, i'd support a licence to have children. the one & only plausible criteria: must have a job and/or cannot be receiving any "benefits"
No raging here :)

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
77, re your post at 6:30...

Sorry, it simply doesn't work in practice.

People don't buy electricity based on what it will cost to fix global warming or buy a ream of printer paper based upon what it will cost to remediate old growth forest...

You can't put a product on the market when you as a developer have made no financial contribution towards remediation and say "if people wanted remediation they'd pay more".

Your whole argument time and time again has been that the purchase will go to the cheaper product. If the remediation is never costed in, it'll never be paid for.

All well and good to say develop an asset and sell it, but if you don't cost in the long term expense related to developing that asset, then you aren't selling it at its true value.

So, for example... I can buy a car for 15,000 and that's attractive. However, I borrow resources either tangible now or through long term impact (air, water, finite minerals and hydrocarbons, air quality, CO2 emissions, pollution) in the building of that vehicle. Steel may cost x dollars per tonne and plastic, aluminium, electricity, glass etc etc etc and all that goes to paying for the car. However... The other inputs and impacts aren't costed in the purchase price. Sure I want to buy the car that is being sold to me for 15,000, but in reality, it may actually be worth double or triple that if the long term impacts of the inputs were costed. If for every kilowatt of power expended in the mining of the ores, the refining, the petrochemical plant that produced the plastic, the power to run the car factory, the cost of recycling etc was toted up and then I had to pay for that amount of green power on top of the retail price, how much would the car cost? When the total amount of Fe on the planet is limited, how much is steel a tonne? In a supply and demand economy, in the long term, is the price we're charged realistic?

So you build a car, put it on the market for 15,000 and I buy the car for that price. Who pays the extra? If you're not and I'm not, then future citizens do (even though they didn't get the car).

Alternate example: You run an icecream sundae shop. I want to buy an icecream sundae but with the amount I'm paying, I'm only paying for the icecream, the nuts and the chocolate sauce, your staff wages, plus your base profits on those items. I'm not paying for your rent of the store or your power bill (those costs are months away, not something that gets paid now). Is the icecream at the price you charge it to me financially viable?

As for the shitting in someone else's house, you've said that you don't want to pay any more than you need to and you don't care about the cost of the longer term environmental impact or the effect on future generations for remediation. The analogy holds perfectly. You want to crap, but there's no need for you to pay to have a toilet and pay sewerage fees, you can just shit wherever you want. The effort/cost of the cleanup doesn't concern you. So, you take a dump, no cost to you, and the problem is someone else's.

Re my last point, I think if you want to raise kids you need to be willing to put in the time and effort to give them a basic set of values. When did politeness become something parents should ask for, rather than something that they should expect? Give a shit about other people, put in your fair share...

Hell, why enter a bike race to win a medal? It'd be easier to wait for the guy who wins to pick up his medal and then mug him in the carpark after the event. You still get a medal, you got it fair and square by fighting for it. If it meant so much to the guy who won it he should have put more resources into protecting it. You value it more than he does, so you get it.

The above illustrates precisely how a raw demand/expense model works when devoid of all value standards. Academically it's fine, supply, demand, value, resources expended... It's just that in the real world it's not workable. Pure economics works fine in an economy, just not in a society.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Huh? I was taught in my first macro course that dollar for dollar, transfer payments were more effective than tax cuts.

S.

ex offender
rubbish. if these people were of net benefit (i.e able to pay their welfare back in future) then they wouldn't need welfare - someone would lend them the money. i'm not saying that welfare doesn't necessarily already work like that, i'm saying that if it's the case then welfare isn't necessary.

That is such a ridiculous gross simplification that I can't believe you can even take yourself seriously. Welfare operates on the assumption that statistically, supporting members of society when they need it will give them the ability to become productive again later. You assume that "if you were going to be productive in future, somebody would lend you money" - yeah that gets RIGHT into the ins and outs of motivational psychology. Oh wait, no it doesn't, it just assumes that anybody would be immediately able to prove their future worth and that they are motivated solely by achieving the highest income-to-work ratio, which obviously occurs when work is zero and income is anything above zero. Welfare at the moment IS doing its job IMO - most people who get some kind of payment from Centrelink go on to become productive members of the economy and of society. A small percentage just bludge for most of their lives, but even they are forced to at least pretend they're trying to find work.

rubbish, rubbish and rubbish. minimum wage does several things: it ensures that any jobs valued below its level no longer exist. it ensures that those who do not have labour valued at its level are sacked and can no longer earn an income, it results in the rest of us having to pay MORE taxes in order to keep those people alive (on the dole) and it ensures that those who are willing to work at lower rates cannot compete with those who will work at higher ones. e.g you pay someone skilled to work at $15 an hour, but there are two unskilled guys who work at half pace you could pay $7 an hour, saving you $1 an hour and providing an extra person with work - that situation is now illegal. to add onto this, because you've saved yourself $1 an hour you have cut costs and therefore can offer your products at a lower price - the $7 an hour those two earn is all of a sudden more valuable.

Actually it doesn't "ensure" job loss, far from it. It encourages a higher output per worker, which in turn pushes technological advances, process improvements and economic efficiency. Increased economic efficiency = increased productivity per unit labour time, which in turn brings the cost of living down and pushes the value of the individual up. There is not a direct correlation between minimum wage (or any wage) and cost of living in this context. When minimum wage goes up, people don't just get sacked willy nilly; you seem to believe that just because you state your belief in a hypothesis that it must be true!

ok. let's assume you're right. why do you have to have X living standard at all? why does this have to be provided for you? that's just encouragement for you to sit on your ass and do nothing (or drink yourself into a stupor every day). in fact, a lower relative minimum wage like you think they have there is only going to make finding work for these people easier.

hahah jesus. It's an AVERAGE living standard! It isn't handed to you on a plate, it's the average that's made achievable by your surrounding environment (if we are to assume that levels of human natural aptitude and motivation are roughly equal everywhere in the world). Norway's unemployment rate is 3.4 percent. People clearly aren't having trouble finding work there, despite the fact that pay rates for entry level jobs are typically over $3000au per week... weird hey? You are wrongly applying the idea that I am claiming correlation implies causation, and ignoring the fact that your hypothesis doesn't generate the predicted results in the real world, and therefore can be largely seen as falsified - funny given your claim of being into Austrian economics, which is largely denounced as being unfalsifiable and therefore not of any scientific merit.

correlation is not causation. also, your solution to something being too expensive because there is "too much" demand for it is... to increase demand for it.

Where did I ever discuss demand? Insurance doesn't follow supply and demand predictions, it's not a commodity! You also falsely assume that I am implying causation, and ignore the fact that outcomes of applications using free market theory and those using highly regulated economies DO NOT MATCH what you state "would" happen.

BTW, you get paid well below minimum wage when you're on the dole in Australia - in fact the dole is less than half of what you get on a full time minimum wage. There is plenty of monetary gap there to prod anyone to work, and IMO you can only JUST get by on the dole - which I too believe is the way it should be. $240 a week will cover rent and food alone if you're frugal.

do you have any education in austrian economics?

i didn't think so. you've made a lot of correlation=causation assumptions and i'm afraid just don't understand things. minimum wage for starters. it's the most anti-poor law there is.

Nope, you're simply assuming that I am claiming that the countries with the highest standards of living in the world are that way specifically because of their economic policies; I am not. I am simply pointing out that your hypothesis that entirely free market economies provide both the best economic conditions and the best quality of life for the people who live there, does not reflect the real world outcomes of various states and their economic management systems. If you were to put it forward as a scientific theory, it would be rejected on those bases alone.

and for the record, i come from a working/low class and middle class family. i'm not some asshole that cares about nobody else at all, quite the contrary. the more i learn about my field, the more libertarian/leave everything alone i become.

I would say the more you learn about your field, the more you start to assume that money alone is the only thing that motivates people to actually want to work rather than sit on the dole, and that unbridled competition is actually a good thing for society - you haven't paid ANY attention to crime rates or quality of life in any manner other than income and cost of living.

also, about us having 5% unemployment and it being one of the lowest in the world, this is true. however you also need to factor in participation rates. but this is irrelevant until you examine the cause of said unemployment - the money streaming in from mining. i can't begin to describe just how fucked we are when those rocks run out. (long story short, our unemployment rate isn't because we're taxed high and have high minimum wages and a lucrative unemployment sector)

on education, that's another madness. the whole idea that all education=good education is ridiculous.

currently the law is that you absolutely HAVE to go to school (not learn anything, just go) until you are at least 18 (16 in some states). why? this is ridiculous. let's say we keep public education in place, and let parents (and kids once they're a little older) decide how long they go to school for. how many people do you hear of dropping out of school at illegally young ages that have done perfectly fine for themselves? this is proof that not everyone needs to go to school and finish year 12. to compound this further, how many people out there do you know that at work use NOTHING they learned in school? exactly. if such knowledge was either needed before work, or could not be taught on the job then employers would simply NOT hire these people and they would be forced to either find alternative jobs or go back to school.

hahahahah. That is all I have to say.

the entire system would look after itself.

"Would" it now? Reality begs to differ. In places where it's been left to do just that, it hasn't. The countries with the most unregulated economies are, at this point in time, mostly NOT shining beacons of economic stability let alone high standards of living, whereas by some amazing coincidence of excuses and reasons unrelated to economic policy, numerous countries with highly regulated economies seem to largely be doing pretty well for themselves!

not at all. austrian economics ftw.
http://www.webcitation.org/5u40jRL5e
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Keynesian_Economics

Austrian economics is a mentally attractive theory because it's clean, simple and holds ideals rather than indulging in relatively complicated mathematical models to manage and forecast economic input and output. Basically it's Entirely Theoretical Economics 4 Punters IMO. But no, I've obviously never bothered educating myself on it, and I just argue with you because I'm one of those bleeding heart lefties who wants everyone else's tax to support me.

Anyway, that's about as far as I care or know enough to bother arguing, I've said my piece more than once now.

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Huh? I was taught in my first macro course that dollar for dollar, transfer payments were more effective than tax cuts.
I'll be honest, I dont recall enough to argue the point forcefully, but I believe that the arguement favouring transfer payments assumes zero burecratic redtape/ ie zero cost to rolling out transfer payments

failling that, perhaps this is one of those odd macro/micro disagreements which is difficult to test in the real world

failling that, perhaps Ken Henry is wrong

*shrug*

Bermshot

Banned
I'll be honest, I dont recall enough to argue the point forcefully, but I believe that the arguement favouring transfer payments assumes zero burecratic redtape/ ie zero cost to rolling out transfer payments

failling that, perhaps this is one of those odd macro/micro disagreements which is difficult to test in the real world

*shrug*
Bully......Bullies everywhere man!

seventyseven

http://www.webcitation.org/5u40jRL5e
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Keynesian_Economics

Austrian economics is a mentally attractive theory because it's clean, simple and holds ideals rather than indulging in relatively complicated mathematical models to manage and forecast economic input and output. Basically it's Entirely Theoretical Economics 4 Punters IMO. But no, I've obviously never bothered educating myself on it, and I just argue with you because I'm one of those bleeding heart lefties who wants everyone else's tax to support me.

Anyway, that's about as far as I care or know enough to bother arguing, I've said my piece more than once now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0QN-FYkpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgMclXX5msc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfascZSTU4o

how about these videos? peter schiff is an AUSTRIAN economist.

keynesian economics is wrong in almost every single aspect. the U.S is just learning that now.

That is such a ridiculous gross simplification that I can't believe you can even take yourself seriously. Welfare operates on the assumption that statistically, supporting members of society when they need it will give them the ability to become productive again later. You assume that "if you were going to be productive in future, somebody would lend you money" - yeah that gets RIGHT into the ins and outs of motivational psychology. Oh wait, no it doesn't, it just assumes that anybody would be immediately able to prove their future worth and that they are motivated solely by achieving the highest income-to-work ratio, which obviously occurs when work is zero and income is anything above zero. Welfare at the moment IS doing its job IMO - most people who get some kind of payment from Centrelink go on to become productive members of the economy and of society. A small percentage just bludge for most of their lives, but even they are forced to at least pretend they're trying to find work.

not at all. i never mentioned highest income to work ratio at all. i simply mentioned being able to pay back money lent/owed. way to beat a non-existent straw man.

also, please watch the following two videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGgjU-h_xQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FSoXKapKQs&feature=related

now these are U.S statistics yes, but that doesn't make the point invalid. just look at the trend. how do you think this is all going to be paid for?

Actually it doesn't "ensure" job loss, far from it. It encourages a higher output per worker, which in turn pushes technological advances, process improvements and economic efficiency. Increased economic efficiency = increased productivity per unit labour time, which in turn brings the cost of living down and pushes the value of the individual up. There is not a direct correlation between minimum wage (or any wage) and cost of living in this context. When minimum wage goes up, people don't just get sacked willy nilly; you seem to believe that just because you state your belief in a hypothesis that it must be true!

no it doesn't. short of productivity being negotiated and coming to fruition it encourages NOTHING of the sort. it just means that all those performing below it are sacked. also, if such a thing was to occur (that companies could negotiate with worker representatives for productivity increases) then no minimum wage would need to be in effect - the negotiations for pay level X would occur regardless. if such an outcome could not be achieved then raising the wage is not an economical decision. and no people don't just get sacked willy nilly. but they do get sacked, or companies end up having to move operations offshore because they can't afford to operate anymore. the entire workplace is fucked then.

here's an extract from a piece i wrote last year.

The 2008-2009 financial year saw Australia’s national inflation rate hit an 8 year high of an average of 4.4% (Trading Economics), peaking at a full 5% for the September quarter. Coming after a Reserve Bank drop in the cash rate to just 3%...
Now that the inflation rate has dropped to just under 3% for the March-June quarter of this year, the Gillard Fair Work Australia panel has increased the minimum wage by $26 a week to an equivalent $15.00 per hour even...However, that doesn’t tell the whole story. This increase doesn’t just apply to the 100,000 or so workers on the minimum wage, but extends all the way up the awards structure to those earning close to $100,000 per year, covering some 1.5 million workers (Stutchbury, M). This has come at a point just when the Reserve Bank of Australia is considering raising interest rates in order to try and put a cap on and stabilise Australia’s inflation rate... Unsurprisingly, these figures correlate to Unemployment rates. In 2008 the ACTU (Australian Council of Trade Unions) made a claim for a $26 per week minimum wage rise and in 2009 it made a claim for a $21 per week rise. It received nothing in either year. The result was that through the “Global Financial Crisis” of 2008 and 2009, Australia’s unemployment rate increased from 4.6% to a peak of just 5.8%. The United States meanwhile increased their minimum wage some 11.9% in 2008 from $5.85 to $6.55 per hour and 10.6% from $6.55 per hour to $7.25 per hour in 2009.

The United States then went from a 5% unemployment rate in January of 2008, to some 10% in December of 2009 (Trading Economics). In two years, an incremental increase of minimum wage by 24% was followed by a doubling of the unemployment rate. Taking the Australian figures, proportionately the United States unemployment rate increased some four times that of Australia’s. (no S, i am not suggesting that this is the only cause. rather, just one of the contributing factors). Like the U.S, Australia also went through a period of negative growth (technically, a recession is defined as two quarters of negative growth) - at the end of 2008 we had a period of -0.9% growth (ABS). Previous to that was almost twelve months of a decrease in growth trend. , a blunt rephrasal might be “current minimum wage implies that labor worth less than $15 per hour is essentially worthless. If you can’t produce at a rate greater than $15 per hour, your job isn’t worth having”. The reason that this results in some jobs being lost is that business face a law of diminishing marginal utility. Each person it employs does not necessarily provide it with as much benefit as the one before or after them - you can only fit so many people in a workshop before it becomes crowded for example. The result, is that there is a lot of productivity and both consumer/producer supluses missed out on because these jobs are priced out of the market. In other words, a deadweight loss.

There is a third alternative which was not mentioned by Stigler in his original thesis, and that is the increase in the prices of whatever goods/services the industry produces. However, this is not always viable due to demand elasticity and an increase in minimum wage can in fact cause businesses to close their doors (Anderson, P). Economically, this is simply drawn as a graph with the cost curve outside of/above the demand curve. Peter Anderson, chief of the ACCI (Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry) also stated that the most recent increase “Will be a dangerous setback to economic recovery in the small business sector” for precisely that reason.

The more sinister motivation behind union proponents of minimum wage I postulated earlier was summarised perfectly by Sukrit of the Australian Libertarian Society. He states as follows;

“In fact, minimum wages do help certain people. In particular they help the members of trade unions, many of whom are already earning wages above the minimum wage. By making it illegal for employers to hire at market rates (the rate that is deemed mutually suitable to both employer and employee) they minimise competition for the jobs of organised labour and keep their salaries higher than would otherwise be the case in an open and free labour market.”

To summarise that statement further, unions are proponents of minimum wage because it eliminates competition for jobs, jobs held by their members.

Whilst this may appear particularly cynical to the outside reader, they should note that there was not a single mention of the calculated 12,000 jobs that would have been lost (in the Fair Pay Commissions modeling) should the proposed minimum wage increase requested by the ACTU in 2009 in any of the news articles, statements made by members of or by the ACTU or even anywhere buried in the ACTU website.

). Perhaps the most recent and relevant example of this is the closure of Blundstone’s manufacturing operations in Tasmania to move to an offshore location. The reason for the move? To quote Blundstone itself; “We are no longer able to compete in a high labor cost environment” (Gunn, S).

The result? 300 jobs lost. Taking away the unskilled workers ability to compete in the labor market (which by definition they have little ability to compete in due to having no skills) effectively leaves them completely disenfranchised

hahah jesus. It's an AVERAGE living standard! It isn't handed to you on a plate, it's the average that's made achievable by your surrounding environment (if we are to assume that levels of human natural aptitude and motivation are roughly equal everywhere in the world). Norway's unemployment rate is 3.4 percent. People clearly aren't having trouble finding work there, despite the fact that pay rates for entry level jobs are typically over $3000au per week... weird hey? You are wrongly applying the idea that I am claiming correlation implies causation, and ignoring the fact that your hypothesis doesn't generate the predicted results in the real world, and therefore can be largely seen as falsified - funny given your claim of being into Austrian economics, which is largely denounced as being unfalsifiable and therefore not of any scientific merit.

but you don't factor in purchasing power. a dollar here is not a dollar there is not a dollar somewhere else etc.

i also never said that raising minimum wage precludes the possibility of a low unemployment rate, far from it. way to make another straw man. i'm simply saying, perhaps those countries could be EVEN BETTER OFF than they are.

also, why go on about the U.S's ultra-capitalism (not that it has this but whatever) producing the highest GDP but still leaving some people mega poor and then changing your argument to average living standard? which is it, lowest living standards or average living standards?

Where did I ever discuss demand? Insurance doesn't follow supply and demand predictions, it's not a commodity! You also falsely assume that I am implying causation, and ignore the fact that outcomes of applications using free market theory and those using highly regulated economies DO NOT MATCH what you state "would" happen.

demand for medicine. median demand that health insurance increases. i would also say that it increases the average demand because whilst the insurance industry has to be profitable (and therefore the money people would have spent on medicine has to have a margin that the insurance companies keep) there is the entirely likely scenario that a person has say, 50-90% (or can borrow this much) of the necessary money they need for surgery or procedure X, that they ultimately end up NOT purchasing. ergo said money is not spent, even though it is factored into what demand could (would) be. i would have to do some more research on this to be sure however.

i've given you an example of what DOES happen previously (blundstone). there are plenty like it.

BTW, you get paid well below minimum wage when you're on the dole in Australia - in fact the dole is less than half of what you get on a full time minimum wage. There is plenty of monetary gap there to prod anyone to work, and IMO you can only JUST get by on the dole - which I too believe is the way it should be. $240 a week will cover rent and food alone if you're frugal. so what about the guy that has labour valued at only $14.99 an hour that just lost his job. he's just been given a pay cut to $240 a week instead of the $569 he was earning earlier. and don't say this doesn't happen. i've linked you to blundstone and there are PLENTY of other companies that have offshored in the past couple of years. BONDS off the top of my head for example.

Nope, you're simply assuming that I am claiming that the countries with the highest standards of living in the world are that way specifically because of their economic policies; I am not. I am simply pointing out that your hypothesis that entirely free market economies provide both the best economic conditions and the best quality of life for the people who live there, does not reflect the real world outcomes of various states and their economic management systems. If you were to put it forward as a scientific theory, it would be rejected on those bases alone. so let's get this straight. my "hypothesis that entirely free market economies provide both the best economic conditions and the best quality of life for the people who live there does not reflect the real world outcomes" and yet just your previous post you used the example of the united states to show that "whilst the most capitalism produces the highest GDP it doesn't preclude people from poverty". you have contradicted yourself.

I would say the more you learn about your field, the more you start to assume that money alone is the only thing that motivates people to actually want to work rather than sit on the dole rubbish. i have never made that assumption and never said it either., and that unbridled competition is actually a good thing for society it's a good thing for the economy ;) it's up to you whether you think this is a good thing for society, but i do.- you haven't paid ANY attention to crime rates or quality of life in any manner other than income and cost of living. this is a whooooole new argument (but not an irrelevant one). however, quality of life is entirely subjective if you don't simply count the numbers, so it's not something that we could ever come to a conclusion of. one could also argue that crime is not necessarily a bad thing in all circumstances either. you can't tell me off for being objective with the numbers and then try and use them in your own argument with different examples. that is once again hypocrisy.

"Would" it now? Reality begs to differ. In places where it's been left to do just that, it hasn't. The countries with the most unregulated economies are, at this point in time, mostly NOT shining beacons of economic stability let alone high standards of living, whereas by some amazing coincidence of excuses and reasons unrelated to economic policy, numerous countries with highly regulated economies seem to largely be doing pretty well for themselves! then these economies have not been deregulated enough. also, have you thought that the economies with both higher regulation and higher per capita GDP could possibly be EVEN BETTER OFF without regulation? regulation and taxes are not the only determinants.
next time you want some (engineering right?) help i'll be sure to chip in. after all, engineers know more about economics than econ honors students it seems. i cam only assume the reverse must be true.

Last edited:

seventyseven

*shrug*
for reference guys, first year econ is almost entirely wrong. it has to be dumbed down so much so that everyone (including all the various business first years that won't look at it ever again if they can help it) can understand it.

but tax cuts are what should occur if at all possible.

seventyseven

77, re your post at 6:30...

Sorry, it simply doesn't work in practice.

People don't buy electricity based on what it will cost to fix global warming or buy a ream of printer paper based upon what it will cost to remediate old growth forest...

You can't put a product on the market when you as a developer have made no financial contribution towards remediation and say "if people wanted remediation they'd pay more".

no no that's not what i meant. i meant, if people were against the externalities enough then they wouldn't buy the product. obviously they are either unaware or find that the product provides them with more benefit than it harms the environment. or they don't care.

Your whole argument time and time again has been that the purchase will go to the cheaper product. If the remediation is never costed in, it'll never be paid for. not at all. also why couldn't this simply be factored in as an optional cost? airlines allow you to purchase carbon credits etc..

All well and good to say develop an asset and sell it, but if you don't cost in the long term expense related to developing that asset, then you aren't selling it at its true value. i'm sure the investors know what they're doing...

So, for example... I can buy a car for 15,000 and that's attractive. However, I borrow resources either tangible now or through long term impact (air, water, finite minerals and hydrocarbons, air quality, CO2 emissions, pollution) in the building of that vehicle. Steel may cost x dollars per tonne and plastic, aluminium, electricity, glass etc etc etc and all that goes to paying for the car. However... The other inputs and impacts aren't costed in the purchase price. Sure I want to buy the car that is being sold to me for 15,000, but in reality, it may actually be worth double or triple that if the long term impacts of the inputs were costed. If for every kilowatt of power expended in the mining of the ores, the refining, the petrochemical plant that produced the plastic, the power to run the car factory, the cost of recycling etc was toted up and then I had to pay for that amount of green power on top of the retail price, how much would the car cost? but how does one value these things? this is the point i'm getting at. if you don't care about them then they have no value to you at all. as i said before, this can't be quantified until all the subjective demand curves are aggregated to one market demand curve. that curve will tell you how much people care (or don't). When the total amount of Fe on the planet is limited, how much is steel a tonne? In a supply and demand economy, in the long term, is the price we're charged realistic?

So you build a car, put it on the market for 15,000 and I buy the car for that price. Who pays the extra? If you're not and I'm not, then future citizens do (even though they didn't get the car). then this is a decision for society to make. perhaps it doesn't care about the future citizens. or perhaps if we were to put a cost on the externalities of producing it, it knows that if we don't build the car, it will get built somewhere else by someone that doesn't.

Alternate example: You run an icecream sundae shop. I want to buy an icecream sundae but with the amount I'm paying, I'm only paying for the icecream, the nuts and the chocolate sauce, your staff wages, plus your base profits on those items. I'm not paying for your rent of the store or your power bill (those costs are months away, not something that gets paid now). Is the icecream at the price you charge it to me financially viable? this would depend on many things. the business manager would have some statistics about what his fixed costs are, his MU (profit), expected sales, demand elasticity etc. long story short: yes it is factored in.

As for the shitting in someone else's house, you've said that you don't want to pay any more than you need to and you don't care about the cost of the longer term environmental impact or the effect on future generations for remediation. The analogy holds perfectly. You want to crap, but there's no need for you to pay to have a toilet and pay sewerage fees, you can just shit wherever you want. The effort/cost of the cleanup doesn't concern you. So, you take a dump, no cost to you, and the problem is someone else's. which would again be a null argument if someone else was going to let me shit in their place for nothing. or simply charge me a lesser rate (let's say only enough to be profitable without factoring in externalities, rather than the P+E the first person was. i assume the analogy here is say, a company that pollutes setting up shop either here or in another country?

Re my last point, I think if you want to raise kids you need to be willing to put in the time and effort to give them a basic set of values. When did politeness become something parents should ask for, rather than something that they should expect? Give a shit about other people, put in your fair share... absolutely agree.

Hell, why enter a bike race to win a medal? It'd be easier to wait for the guy who wins to pick up his medal and then mug him in the carpark after the event. You still get a medal, you got it fair and square by fighting for it. If it meant so much to the guy who won it he should have put more resources into protecting it. You value it more than he does, so you get it.

The above illustrates precisely how a raw demand/expense model works when devoid of all value standards. Academically it's fine, supply, demand, value, resources expended... It's just that in the real world it's not workable. Pure economics works fine in an economy, just not in a society.this is true. beating the guy up would be a c*nt act i agree, but the logic is sound. of course opening that can of works starts to ask the question of how responsible for what happens to us are we and so forth, which is something that could never be answered. to take the principel further, i absolutely agree that beating the guy up is a cunt act and would feel very sorry for him. but to take the principle further, would you feel sorry for someone that say, parked a ferrari for an hour in a suburb with a 30% unemployment rate and came back to find it on fire?
nice to have a chat where we're not at each others throats :)