Bureaucrat's Errors Mean closure for Manly Dam

raintonr

Likes Bikes
I just don't know how to put this, so am going to just get straight to the point:

Manly Warringah Council have decided that due to a bureaucratic error that happened many years ago the single track sections of the Manly Dam circuit have never actually been technically legal riding. As such, instead of turning a blind eye, or deciding to make an extra effort to work around what is their mistake, they are to penalise riders by closing sections of the track.

If you look at the linked map (http://nobmob.com/node/13022), it's obvious that the circuit is basically unridable given this decision.

They are sighting safety concerns for this, but that is a complete joke as, as far as I'm aware there have been no documented incidents involving riders and another party there. I spoke to the Mayor on Wednesday night who admits this isn't an issue as he is aware of "only one incident in 5 (or is that 10?) years" (he wasn't sure of the timeframe).

Please take a look at the closed sections on the map (and you note the map says that 'Penalties Apply') and steer clear of these tracks.

Reading the release it seems this will be discussed at an extraordinary meeting of the council Mar23 to discuss this. I'd advise anyone with interest in riding Manly Dam to attend. You might also like to email or call councillors (their contact details are available on Warringah's Elected Council page - http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/council_now/elected_council.aspx) with your views on this.

Please see the attached map, and full press release below:

http://nobmob.com/node/13023

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
That's a fkn joke. Hopefully the meeting on March 23 will rectify this situation.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'll be ripping the signs down. :p

Last edited:

raintonr

Likes Bikes
Mar 23

OOps... sorry... the meeting is Mar 23.

As it stands the closure will last _at least_ 6 months.

kissmecait

Cannon Fodder
Complaints to Council

This is ridiculous. We need to bombard them with complaint calls & emails. I'm definitely for rallying on the council meeting on the 23rd. Lets just hope it gets settled that early & not six months from now.

Last edited:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I know that this is really annoying but please be restrained if you are going to contact the council.

By all means get in touch and let them know how you feel but please play it smart. Don't be abusive etc etc.

A heap of well written letters will get a much better response than a torrent of vitriol.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow. I've stayed off the closed sections of single-track in Manly Dam for roughly 10 years now since the 'legal' loop opened up. I've attended the track days before they went down the drain, and I spent the morning weeding because that's what the ranger wanted us to do. I've stayed off the track every time that it has been closed due to wet weather, sometimes for months, out of respect for the trail.

i don't know if I will stay of the tail this time.

DeBloot

Feeling old
A heap of well written letters will get a much better response than a torrent of vitriol.
I do agree Crofty

But shit a fucking brick
Most of the riders in Sydney go out of their way to look after their trails (yes, their trails)
Well, what few are left after being closed by either councils or NPWS
They inform other riders of the ills of riding in the wet
Offer to lend a hand to maintain trails etc etc etc

And this is what they get
it's nothing short of fucking insulting, demoralizing, and just a downright kick right in the nut sack :mad::mad::mad:

I thankfully moved away from the anally retentive northern beaches last year
So this doesn't affect me too much except if I travel down to catch up

I've never liked authority much
And honestly, I feel like hiring a bulldozer and razing the stinking council chambers to the ground

I can't help hoping all the worms will spill from the can
And Armageddon will be unleashed across the Northern Beaches
And so many illegal trails will pop up that the council and NPWS will be unable to contain it
Sometimes imbeciles only understand confontation

I'm so fucking mad :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Breathe...breathe

OK
Now that that's off my chest
i will compose that well written letter
PRICKS

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow. I've stayed off the closed sections of single-track in Manly Dam for roughly 10 years now since the 'legal' loop opened up. I've attended the track days before they went down the drain, and I spent the morning weeding because that's what the ranger wanted us to do. I've stayed off the track every time that it has been closed due to wet weather, sometimes for months, out of respect for the trail.

i don't know if I will stay off the trail this time.

I hear you Carlin,
for the last 2 months I've probably been the first person around the track every morning, apart from the wet days that is.
I've removed dangerous rocks / sticks / branches not to mention the amount of spiders which have appeared overnight, sometimes I've been tempted to turn up with a pair of shears to trim the track, but got told by a ranger friend not to do this. so I didn't.

How are we supposed to do a "Lap" of it now if the single track joining the fire trail is closed?
I imagine the dam as a whole will be closed due to the current weather, I actually haven't been there this week due to injury and weather.

Whats the council going to do on the weekends when the weekend warriors turn up , stats show that approx 700 people MTB around the dam on a nice weathered weekend. How are they going to police all the entry points? Are they going to fine people / confiscate bikes / put fences up?

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any body keen for a lap tomorrow? Probably best not to have any ID on you;)
LOL, maybe we should organize some kind of ride where as many people who regularly use it all turn up at once to do a lap, then they will see how many people do actually use the trail.

trailbunny

Rocky Trail Entertainment
sad day for Sydney MTB, but I still have hope...

don't give up people, keep writing the letters and tell everyone you know to do so as well!

let's get the dam back!

j

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Please send them an email. The mayor needs to have 1000 emails in his inbox Monday morning. Keep polite so that they could safe their face if they reverse the decision quickly. If they don't then let's go riding the Dam in large numbers and stage other peaeful protests. My 2c. I sent an email to the list on nobmob and got 3 replies already from councillors distancing themselfes from the decision. We need to show that there are a lot of users for this track and that we can get mobilised even when they send out the press release late Friday afternoon. In my eyes clearly a tactical move to avoid a lot of calls from people right away and hoping that over the weekend we forget about it.

ido09s

Likes Dirt
I know there is someone here who can write well worded letters, the sort we need to send to the council to show them just how much this trail means to a lot of us. I for one ride this trail nearly every Saturday morning and its going to hurt me if i cant :(

I have many mates from as far as Bowral who will be more than happy to send off an e-mail, so please, could someone write one up for us to send in.

Guys, lets do the right thing here and show Manly council we are a respecting mature bunch of riders by staying off the trail until things are resolved. Its only going to make things harder if everyone gets out and rides it illegally!