Bureaucrat's Errors Mean closure for Manly Dam

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hope someone is going to get everyone who shows up to sign a petition?

I'm sorry for dribbling on about this so much but I've worked for a council for 5 years and state government as well and I know what gets results.
At least you know what gets things done,
I'm not a words-smith and wrote my badly written letter.
should we post them ( snail mail ) letters is this seen better than emails?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
At least you know what gets things done,
I'm not a words-smith and wrote my badly written letter.
should we post them ( snail mail ) letters is this seen better than emails?
It ain't the be all and end all as pointed out by Binural but it all helps.

Personally I reckon email is fine these days, I think the big thing is that they can see you have taken the time to sit down and let them know your feelings. I don't think that chain emails and online petitions where you just click a button have as much of an effect.

ido09s

Likes Dirt
We also need to show our support for the Dam by showing up to the meeting. The time i am not 100% on as i have seen a few dates so far, i am waiting on a reply back from one councilor to confirm. And also on the 6th of March for the NobMob ride. The more bikes we can show up with the better as it makes the crowd look a lot larger than it really is :D

We must also remember that the meeting is apparently not for public participation so any comments need to be left unsaid :( But, there is power in numbers guys :D

I just got this reply from Virginia, we MUST all get to this meeting to show our support...

Hi Brad,

Still here answering emails ... yikes ... best thing is to come to the 23/2 meeting. When/if the POM comes up for review, everyone put in a submission. Unfortunately these messages to councillors don't count in the scheme of things - they need to be formalised by being in response to public exhibition of a document. I know, zzzzz but that's the way it is.

Regards,

Virginia Laugesen
Councillor for C Ward
9400 3299
0437 499 959

Last edited:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Woot, Good news?

We also need to show our support for the Dam by showing up to the meeting. The time i am not 100% on as i have seen a few dates so far, i am waiting on a reply back from one councilor to confirm. And also on the 6th of March for the NobMob ride. The more bikes we can show up with the better as it makes the crowd look a lot larger than it really is :D

We must also remember that the meeting is apparently not for public participation so any comments need to be left unsaid :( But, there is power in numbers guys :D

I just got this reply from Virginia, we MUST all get to this meeting to show our support...

Hi Brad,

Still here answering emails ... yikes ... best thing is to come to the 23/2 meeting. When/if the POM comes up for review, everyone put in a submission. Unfortunately these messages to councillors don't count in the scheme of things - they need to be formalised by being in response to public exhibition of a document. I know, zzzzz but that's the way it is.

Regards,

Virginia Laugesen
Councillor for C Ward
9400 3299
0437 499 959
I just received this reply,

Dear Jason,

Thank you for your email. I fully understand your objections and concerns to the closure of the track sections at Manly Dam.

What many people don't realise is that the elected Council had nothing to do with the decision. I personally brought the issue up at last Tuesday's Council meeting. The safety board working on all areas of the community made the decision based on safety, liability and the law.

Moving forward, after much researching and communicating, it looks as though we may have found a way to reverse this decision at the Council meeting on the 23rd of February in favour of all mountain bikers!

I ask you to remain patient until then.

Kind regards,

Cr Bob Giltinan J.P

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few people seem to have received this one that sounds promising.

Dear Grant,

After much researching and communicating, it looks as though we may have found a way to reverse this decision at the Council meeting on the 23rd of February in favour of all mountain bikers!

I ask you to remain patient until then.

Kind regards,

Cr Bob Giltinan J.P

T: 02 9938 6319
M: 0418-471-459
F: 02 9905 6169
E: bob.giltinan@warrngah.nsw.gov.au

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
woot!!!

I have an interview / photoshoot with the local paper tomorrow morning.

now to not look like an idiot.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, not really impressed with that kind of attitude.
+1 and x10 for getting that attitude in the paper where many people will take it as a general attitude.

Seems like the response from council has been quite positive. Might be jumping the gun a bit, but presuming we do get a positive outcome from the process, can we send lots of emails, letters etc thanking those responsible for their continued support of the dam. While it could be a bit of politicising, it does appear as though the councillors themselves were not in control of the process, nor supportive of the sudden closure.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Hey all, are there plans for riders to attend the "extraordinary council meeting" on Tuesday 23 Feb (Tomorrow)?

If so, it might be worth letting us know where and what time. Its probably in here somewhere but its difficult to trawl the whole thread as its a bigg'un.:)

[EDIT] - Just found This.

EXTRAORDINARY MEETING OF WARRINGAH COUNCIL
TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 23 FEBRUARY 2010
AT THE CIVIC CENTRE, DEE WHY
COMMENCING AT 6.00PM

Who's going?

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Hey all, are there plans for riders to attend the "extraordinary council meeting" on Tuesday 23 Feb (Tomorrow)?

If so, it might be worth letting us know where and what time. Its probably in here somewhere but its difficult to trawl the whole thread as its a bigg'un.:)

[EDIT] - Just found This.

EXTRAORDINARY MEETING OF WARRINGAH COUNCIL
TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 23 FEBRUARY 2010
AT THE CIVIC CENTRE, DEE WHY
COMMENCING AT 6.00PM

Who's going?
Sure is. Check here - http://nobmob.com/node/13111

I'll be attending

Binaural

Eats Squid
Mike V has been an internet troll since the very dawn of the internet. A very strange guy.
I love how he's raving about facts while pulling shit out of his copious arse. "And it teaches us to teach nature roughly!". He's going to get a real shock when he finds out about the existence of the mining, areospace and transport industries.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't make it tonight but I'll be there in all my corpulent glory on the 6th, make sure the photographer has a wide angle lens. To all the other corpulent/slow ones attending I'll be riding the silver Zaskar at the back of the pack.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
word coming out of the meeting is that the tracks are to be reopened. no details yet.

Sent from my HTC Magic using Tapatalk

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
word coming out of the meeting is that the tracks are to be reopened. no details yet.
I'm still here and I "think" you are right, although the details seem unclear to many. It appears to be walkers that loose out 6 days a week. EDIT: I got that bit wrong, but that was suggested!

Last edited:
council meeting

I was there and thats what I understood from all the amendments and motions. 30+ riders were in attendance and there was bit of politicking from some of the council members to a gallery that was larger than normal. A few of them really don't like each other. Amusing for an outsider.

It was a bit confusing but my understanding was that the track will be reopened but that bushwalkers have been banned.

There were a few grumpy (old) bushwalkers there, one of whom went off at a mountain unicyclist who had his bike at the back of the gallery.

All in all pretty amusing and with what seemed to be a happy outcome but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will provide more salient details.