Bushfires

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It would appear that there are some pretty major bushfires burning out there by the look of things outside. However after listening to the radio for half an hour I haven't heard of anything outside of the Blue Mountains. So can anyone help out? Where are they and how serious are they?

Also, are any residential areas or property threatened?

BTW. Those pictures are taken from my back verandah and there are no fires nearby, so that gives you an indication of the winds and how big the fires must be.

Attachments

Last edited:

meatlovers

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well, on monday i think there was a small fire in the kuringai area near turramurra, coz at skool i could smeel and see smoke, also ash.

The other day on the radio i heard the were bushfires in the blue mountains while it was snowing.

synrgy

Likes Dirt
A house and a car have been destroyed as a major
bushfire bears down on Molong, near Orange in NSW.

Taken from SMH

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
yeah the ones in the Blue Mountains have turned in a very big fire. a large backburn has been put in with the aid of the cooler temps. but because it's a southerly the wind is kinda all over the place. The humidity is on the rise which is a bonus, the wind at the moment seems the be the biggest issue.

Im actually glad im not at these ones now that i see the stuff on the news. hopefully the weather is a kind tomorrow (thursday) to allow containments lines (from the backburn) that are being made tonight to hold strong. in other words lets hope the wind drops off completly.

Although i did hear that on the opposite side of the bells line of road (which is being used as the boarder for the backburn) hasn't been burnt since the '94' bushfires. lets hope theres not spotting into that mess.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
the grose valley has not burnt since '94. They have just got to wait and see where it will pop out of the valley, which is anyone's guess right now.

wombat

Lives in a hole
the grose valley has not burnt since '94. They have just got to wait and see where it will pop out of the valley, which is anyone's guess right now.
Parts of the Grose down near the valley mouth were burnt in '01, as were areas during the Mt. Hay fire the same year. Not that it means a whole lot, because the fire still came through the Mt. Hay area the other day, it slowed a little but there was still a huge amount of fuel there.

Fires in that valley are intense. Talking to one of our dep. captains who was up there last week and he was saying that even with that crazy weather they had 0 deg C ambient and sleet coming down, and the front was still getting a 3m flame height.

There is just so much fuel there and it is all so dry. The only thing that is going to stop this fire is a week of rain, lets just hope we can hold out until it comes.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Matty, the Newcastle Herald today said that the ash and stuff we had fall on us in newcastle yesterday afternoon was from fires in the Upper Hunter more than 100km's away.

When I left work in Raymond Terrace at 5:30, it was erie. Absolutely black outside with ash falling like rain, a light orange glow in the sky (like in your photos) and some of the most awesome (and close) lightening I have seen in a long time.

Fingers crossed the fires don't cause too much damage to property.

Our pool was a mess this morning, and the ash just goes straight through the scoop.

What time did you take the photo's??? Around 4:30??

tranceup

Likes Dirt
That weather/smoke on Wednesday was crazy. I was riding in town right in the middle of it and it was like a war zone, ptch black, really smokey, bits of trees falling everywhere and really cool but scary lightning. Being blown around on the bike riding down Hunter street in 5:00pm traffic was not much fun but helluva experience i will never get again and dont want.
Looks like most of the upper hunter stuff was near Musswelbrook around the Wollemi and Goulbourne river NP's. Kinda wouldnt mind a little one to clean up behind the Golf Course hey Matty, would help to make some more little tracks. Very leafy in Glenrock to at the moment

blomtrog

Likes Dirt
thank god for this cooler weather and no wind..phew.
firies heading up tonite to backburn along the highway again:)