Buying 2nd Hand Apparel - Is it rough?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I guess this might be a matter of opinion, but.

I'm getting into DH, and im purchasing a second hand stinky this week (cheers Johnny/Nicho). I'd like to say i had the money to buy all new armour, padding, fullface, etc, but the reality is i dont. Do you guys recon it's rough or gross to buy second hand gear? Obviously there's a fair bit of it for sale in the Trading forums, but i'm not 100% sure about wearing someone's pre-owned, pre-sweated gear.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Tristan

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Na go for it, just wash it a few times once u get it.

Its amazing how clean u can get body armour too.

Also take the fullface lining out n chuck it through the wash.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Its the same as buying 2nd hand apparel in general...

Wash it enough times.. use some of that oxy action stuff to give it a good clean and you should be sweet..

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
with all the armour just take it outside and hose it all down

and with clothes bang em in the wash

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are a lot of 2ad hand apparal gear for sale that has not been ever used due to sizing or just because they never wanted it in the first place. other wise just wash it with a hose or something.

captainmorgan

Likes Dirt
Don't buy a used helmet! You don't know what's happened to it. It could have been crashed, which would weaken it if you were to crash with it. How much is brain damage worth to ya?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Don't buy a used helmet! You don't know what's happened to it. It could have been crashed, which would weaken it if you were to crash with it. How much is brain damage worth to ya?
I wasnt really planning on buying a second hand helmet. That's one thing i'd prefer to save for.

More just armour..

synrgy

Likes Dirt
Dude i buy second hand undies all the time from St Vinnies :D SO i dont see any problem in buying second hand gear. Half the time i dont even wash them, i wear them straight outta the shop......

scissors

Likes Bikes
I think you are ok with armoour, wash it a couple of times before you wear it and check that it hasn't taken a beating.

However I wouldn't reccomend a second hand helmet, as said earlier it could have been crashed and weakened.

prawneh

Squid
its a personal opinion.. you really shouldn't be asking otheres what they think.. if its ok by you to wash it then wear it after someone else has been sweating into the armour and clothes then fine.. some people i dare say would be repulsed by such a thing.

SPOON

Likes Dirt
Would you buy and wear second hand clothes??...i know i wouldnt, even after washing it a few times.
Maybe shinnies if they looked new...but def not helmet or body armour.

Last edited:

Hopper

Likes Dirt
It should be fine, liek others said just don't get a helmet 2nd hand as it could be compromised. Also never buy shinnies off me....... there are still blood stains on the left knee from thredbo 2 years back, I can't for the life of me get it out. Oh and these shinnies are black and you can see the red stains, I bled a lot that crash :p