Buying a 2nd hand DH bike

Snit

Likes Bikes
Hey Guys,

I want to get into DH and I am looking to buy a 2nd hand downhill bike to get started. Just wondering what would be the minimum I would have to spend to get a bike that will do the job. Your advice is much appreciated.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
$1k should get you a bike perfectly capable of winning on. Allow a few hundred to get kitted out with a full face helmet, goggles, gloves and whatever body armour/clothes you want. Its nice to at least have a pair of moto style pants/shorts as regular duds will get hammered pretty quickly.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$1k should get you a bike perfectly capable of winning on. Allow a few hundred to get kitted out with a full face helmet, goggles, gloves and whatever body armour/clothes you want. Its nice to at least have a pair of moto style pants/shorts as regular duds will get hammered pretty quickly.
Agree. I've got a DH bike for sale for $1k, and it'll get the job done for sure.

Snit

Likes Bikes
Thanks

Thanks very much guys, much appreciated. I was hoping it might be around a 1k. Now the search begins for a bike. I'm pretty psyched to start riding DH and I just watched a couple of videos of some DH riding in Sydney and I was pumped. They make it look so easy. Then I seen a video of a guy riding at Oxford Falls and he comes off and snaps his arm in two. I cringed. Still super keen though.

T-Rex

Template denier
Look closely at the seller....

If buying a second hand DH bike, I would select a bike based on the seller:

The best possible seller is a middle aged man who purchased a DH bike new, then scared the s*&t out of himself or hurt himself on his first few outings to a DH track, and put the bike on ebay. Such a bike hasn't done much work, and won't have been ridden hard enough to have damaged anything.

Sellers to stay away from:

Teenagers with not much mechanical skill and parental support. These guys will ride a bike pretty hard and not maintain it, because they don't have the skill or money to replace things as they wear, and mummy and daddy won't cough up for the level of professional servicing needed to keep it in good condition.

The sharp end of the field. Top DH riders can be very hard on frames, and they routinely crack them. Not all top riders are that brutal, but plenty of them are.

Norco a-line

If you are looking for a second hand DH, I am trying to sell my Norco a-line park edition.
If interested, send me a message!

dunndog

Eats Squid
If buying a second hand DH bike, I would select a bike based on the seller:

The best possible seller is a middle aged man who purchased a DH bike new, then scared the s*&t out of himself or hurt himself on his first few outings to a DH track, and put the bike on ebay. Such a bike hasn't done much work, and won't have been ridden hard enough to have damaged anything.

Sellers to stay away from:

Teenagers with not much mechanical skill and parental support. These guys will ride a bike pretty hard and not maintain it, because they don't have the skill or money to replace things as they wear, and mummy and daddy won't cough up for the level of professional servicing needed to keep it in good condition.

The sharp end of the field. Top DH riders can be very hard on frames, and they routinely crack them. Not all top riders are that brutal, but plenty of them are.
This is great advice. I bought a Trek Remedy off ebay (not dh I know), got it for a steal. The ad said 'brand new never ridden' as a few do and you just think bullshit.. anyway, called him up, turns out he's a bloke with 2 kids, the second a newborn, he's a triathlete, bought a brand new Trek Madone (?), got lightly sideswiped on his first training ride on it, no damage but scared him so he ended up trading it back for the Remedy as he thought going bush would be safer, but it's just not what he does so after riding it up his 400m driveway (farm) it sat in his shed for 12 months untouched. This thing was brand new and about 30% of the retail value, and included a receipt from Trek transferring the new bike warranty over to me. He must know someone at Trek, but anyway bottom line is as T Rex said, take note of who you're buying off, are they a scammer, and are they going to allow a trade back if you find something within reason that they should have told you about, if that situation arises.. that said you are buying second hand so you must be thorough in your inspections, dh bikes especially do cop abuse..

Snit

Likes Bikes
Great Advice

Yeah, thanks fella's, that is great advice. To be honest, I never would have even considered those points. I'm not in a hurry to buy one as I have now been able to borrow a DH bike until I can find my own!!