Buying a used car

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Going to check out some private sales and then probably give up and buy new with all the plate clearances on at the moment...
If you get the car through a novated lease then the lease company gets fleet discounts as well. Practically no point buying secondhand then.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Not saying to do it, but I've dropped in here and it is full of dealers buying cars anyhow. The discounts can be steep at the expense of taking on some risk. Worth registering and watching a few online auctions http://www.carnetauctions.com.au/simulcast.aspx

I did buy the Mr's Suzuki from another wholesaler and saved about $5k without any issues but might be one of the lucky ones.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Car dealers are the worst... I've bought two new cars in the last couple of years and was demoralised to realise new car sales people are even worse than the used lot.

Spent yesterday in Sydney with a mate looking at i30 wagons for him and old Mazda 3s for my father in law - the Hyunides were at dealers and one in particular was a horror. The Mazdas were all private sales and a good experience at each one. I always prefer private sales.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
If you get the car through a novated lease then the lease company gets fleet discounts as well. Practically no point buying secondhand then.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I'd prefer to just pay cash up front (we're only getting a cheap car) and not have any headaches with involving more parties. Maybe its an option for when I replace the forester, but I'm not a huge fan of finance/credit, especially not on bikes and cars.

Theres not a heap of options with private sales for some reason (manual, hatch, low kms) - but I'll keep looking. Going to test drive a couple of new cars this week. Honda are doing 7 years warranty and roadside assist (not sure how good this deal is?) at the moment.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yeah, we are looking at that price range. That Hyundai looks ok actually - hadn't seen it yet on carsales.edit: because its in Sydney...

I've come around a little on the Clios, but definitely not on partner's radar. The ad seems a bit dodgy though ;)

Haakon

The Clio is very high on the fun factor if you like to drive. Its a tiny 3 cylinder but very highly turbocharged so it goes pretty well when the turbo is spun up and is very torquy down low. But let the boost drop off and youre back with a tiny 3 cylinder for a moment while the turbo wakes up. It makes it a fun car to actually drive as you find yourself really paying attention to boost management. It also likes to be driven like you stole it at all times and the grin factor is huge :)

(and yes, but then again all car dealers are dodgy...)

I've been pretty impressed with the i30, bought the earlier model for my Mum recently and its a robust unit.

But manual Meganes are also worth a look in this price range if i30 size is considered. Look up the reliability record for modern Nissan era Renault's in Europe, theyre on par these days. Anything from about 2010 onwards is pretty good.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Megane-2014/OAG-AD-15267465/?Cr=0

Most euro stuff is ok in manual petrol form. Diesels and automatics is where they mostly fall down.

Stuff like this is great if you intend to keep it. If you want to sell it again in a couple of years buy a Mazda to Toyota. But the more "orphan" end of the market is cracking value s/h if you're not afraid to look past a badge and local reputation (Renault is not exactly a niche manufacture - waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more Meganes were made than Commodore and Falcon combined)

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Whats the opinion on Golfs? They seem fun to drive (the manual one at least) but seem to have had periods of unreliability?
Are the latest iteration Mk 7.5 all good? And the earlier Mk 7s? (I think 2013-2017). If I stick to manual will I escape most of the dramas?

Or better off sticking with Subaru? :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There are plenty of horror stories about golfs (golves) and euros outside the warranty period. Frankly I think that is more to do with poor service than planned obsolescence. Can happen to any car. Try missing a few services on a modern Tojo V6 and see how the oil galleries sludge up or run non synthetic oils in a duratec. Mate has a gti that is 5 years old with over 300,000km on it. No issues and the only non service related issue was a holed washer bottle.

Having said that buy a Bentley Coninental GT, great car.

Haakon

There are plenty of horror stories about golfs (golves) and euros outside the warranty period. Frankly I think that is more to do with poor service than planned obsolescence. Can happen to any car. Try missing a few services on a modern Tojo V6 and see how the oil galleries sludge up or run non synthetic oils in a duratec. Mate has a gti that is 5 years old with over 300,000km on it. No issues and the only non service related issue was a holed washer bottle.

Having said that buy a Bentley Coninental GT, great car.
90% of the problems ive had with french and italian and british stuff over the last 30 years is down to poor repairs and lacking care. With dealer work being the worst.

If youre in a country like ours where the car repair industry makes a lot of money from the "euros are expensive and fragile" line you just need to take some personal responsibility for the upkeep - do your own work if you can and source your own parts online from europe (and be willing to research what the quality parts brands are). Do this and they can be often cheaper to run than japanese cars...

on sludge and oil though, one problem is the euro importers here apply european service intervals for the whole "cost of ownership" sales pitch. But our fuel is crap and contaminates oil way faster than in europe. They last the warranty period fine though...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Whats the opinion on Golfs? They seem fun to drive (the manual one at least) but seem to have had periods of unreliability?
Are the latest iteration Mk 7.5 all good? And the earlier Mk 7s? (I think 2013-2017). If I stick to manual will I escape most of the dramas?

Or better off sticking with Subaru? :)
We have a manual Golf 7 Trendline from 2015 now with around 60k km, has been good, though it's starting to get clutch slip when it's cold, which I've read is common in the sports models, can't find it with base model Golfs probably because people with them don't frequent Golf forums, and is a wear and tear item so no chance of being replaced out of warranty. Everything else has been fine, they have that solid precise (not quite BMW) German feel, they have a sensible shaped cabin that is very easy to see out of and roomy for tall peeps, they handle great for a non sports model, and has a load of cool features for a base model (including CarPlay/Android). One of the very best features is the ability to have all the windows wind down using the key as you approach, great in summer.

But fuck Volkswagen, we had a Dieselgate car previously, we should get some money back for the drama but the engine ultimately failed due to short trips and we lost thousands. Should have went petrol from the start. My car is going to be repaired as the damage was nothing like some of the bad ones, which is good because I can't afford a Tesla yet, and it's the only electric car that can have a towbar.

Haakon

Nissan Leaf can have a towbar - available in the UK. The used Jap imports are ok (for a Leaf, its still an inferior battery tech) and way better than series 1 officially sold here.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Cheers @Scotty T

There are really slim pickings around at the moment... I should get my payout this week but not sure what I want to replace the Forester with or what is really available.

I like the look and feel of the Golf, and they are very popular around here - will be interesting to see if other manuals have the same clutch issue, at least something to be mindful of. Do you have an independent VW servicing centre, or go through dealers?

Going to drive an Impreza on the weekend - people hate them because of sluggish acceleration and CVT but they seem extremely comfortable, reliable and safe.

BT180

Max Pfaff
But fuck Volkswagen, we had a Dieselgate car previously, we should get some money back for the drama but the engine ultimately failed due to short trips and we lost thousands. Should have went petrol from the start. My car is going to be repaired as the damage was nothing like some of the bad ones, which is good because I can't afford a Tesla yet, and it's the only electric car that can have a towbar.
Interesting. We've had a 2008 Tiguan 2.0TDI since new and it's been stellar. Even spent 5 years towing around a 2 tonne trailer through metro Syd all weekend, every weekend. It's going up for sale soon as we've upgraded to a bigger car, but we've been very happy during our 12 year ownership.

Will even get some money back from Dieselgate. Bonus! :D

PS: our has a towkit obviously @droenn If you're interested!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Interesting. We've had a 2008 Tiguan 2.0TDI since new and it's been stellar. Even spent 5 years towing around a 2 tonne trailer through metro Syd all weekend, every weekend. It's going up for sale soon as we've upgraded to a bigger car, but we've been very happy during our 12 year ownership.

Will even get some money back from Dieselgate. Bonus! :D

PS: our has a towkit obviously @droenn If you're interested!
Haha, then we'd have 2 SUVs o_O (partner just bought herself one once my Forester was taken out, now I get to have a little car)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Interesting. We've had a 2008 Tiguan 2.0TDI since new and it's been stellar.
Yeah my problem was the DPF which was introduced in the Golf 6 in 2009 so yours won't have one. Also was the Bluemotion running a 1.6 which was a bit gutless for the weight and came with super tall gears to get (near) the claimed economy, the 2.0 is much better. Previous owner was driving it mostly under 5km length trips, VW doesn't recommend DPF vehicles in the Channel Islands due to such short trips. We were doing ~15km daily trips, which barely warmed the DPF up in winter. Diesel is bad.