Camelback/Hydration packs...OUT OF FASHION??

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...I was out working today with the father of a prominent Australian Trials Rider and he told me that Camelbacks were now out of fashion with the MTB community...Just wondering how you hold a cup on a psycho thirsty downhill. Do you use china cups and saucers?.. or if weight is a concern, do you use a disposable polystyrene cup? Are special cupholders available? If so can you get then with built in shocks so they don't slop your drink over the side? Do some riders use a conventional bike bottle on the frame but with an extra long straw? I ask because its going to be 37 degrees tomorrow and I am going riding. I couldn't bear the scorn from other riders...:eek:
Who cares about fashion?
If you are listening to this guy you are as much of a tool as he is.

mattyd

Likes Dirt
Trials riders don't even have seats. I wonder if they went out of fashion a few years back?
I wouldn't trust anyone who rides around without a seat.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode with a camel back on one of my first rides. Hated it and have gone to a saddle back, back of jersey and drink bottle mounted on the bike. I would rather have the weight on the bike than on my back. I find that its easier to climb with it on my bike too.

Finally the trend is coming my way :p

new guy

Likes Dirt
Trials riders don't even have seats. I wonder if they went out of fashion a few years back?
I wouldn't trust anyone who rides around without a seat.
:( :( :( Us trials riders have feeling too you know they havn't gone out of fashion ...YET...

Seats didn't go out of fashion they just evolved a uselessness (such as this thread).

I still ride with a camel back when riding XC but for trials my frame luckly fits a bottle between the wheel and the seat tube.

the_stig

Likes Bikes
ahahahhha

gulible much?

No, I'd prefer to be well hydrated, thankyou. I'll leave kidney stones for those that jump from trend to trend and for those that actually think that the whole world looks at them like they are the centre of it.

Ride safe. (including not fainting!)
Yeah to quote (looking on google Im surprised to say) the Koran:

"If you knew how little people thought about you – you wouldn’t worry about what they thought."

rockydog

Likes Dirt
For shorter rides, say sub 2 hours, I'm liking 2 bidon bottles and a seat bag for spares. Nice not having a sweaty backpack.

But I'll have to look into the polystyrene cups with shocks and long straws.
Especially if it's fasionable as you say...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I find that a small support crew consisting of various butlers and flunkies running back and forth with chalices of refreshing Pimms makes a much more appealing substitute for those horribly common backpacks

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
...I was out working today with the father of a prominent Australian Trials Rider and he told me that Camelbacks were now out of fashion with the MTB community...
Pfffft... Yeah, that's right... let's follow fashion and trends, 'cuz that's the path to becoming the best rider, eh?

That guy is a sucker. :rolleyes:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
frame design

On some frames you'll be rather limited with options for mounting a bottle cage and bottle (haven't seen a DH frame since 99 with bottle mounts) so, what are your other options.

a) seat mounted bottles tri style - not real good for DH...
b) bar mounted vintage roadie style - a few limitations there too

Neither of them look particularly fashionable either so the Camelbak is looking rather attractive at the moment.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
There'll be no missing me on the trails this weekend - just look for the hypercolour T-shirt, the Oakley Frogskins and my Camelback...

castillo

Likes Dirt
If they're out of fashion I might have to start using one. Just kidding, I always have. It is in the very least, and back pad for when you crash.

droctagon

Likes Dirt
M.u.l.e.

My Camelbak Mule has lasted me ten years,many many epic rides,both pedalling and on moto,bushwalks,snowboarding and she still keeps on flowin the H2o, I swear by it-its compact and comfy and when your in bed hungover after a massive night on the beers you can just keep it handy on the bed so you can re-hydrate without even having to sit up! try it-its a hangover essential item.

On some frames you'll be rather limited with options for mounting a bottle cage and bottle (haven't seen a DH frame since 99 with bottle mounts) so, what are your other options.

a) seat mounted bottles tri style - not real good for DH...
b) bar mounted vintage roadie style - a few limitations there too

Neither of them look particularly fashionable either so the Camelbak is looking rather attractive at the moment.
You forgot the two greatest method of attachment:
-Cable Ties
-And/or Duct Tape