CAN 2010 July - Whistler.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All my Canuck friends who were spoiled enough to be over whistler used to love Silver Star
Alternatively you could hit Sun Peaks on Vancouver Island - and avoid the 9 hour drive to SS (shudders)... Jump onto nsmb.com and ask the Canadians - they ALL have an opinion on which they'd rather ride - and some of them will justify it rather than talk shite :p (ignore the muppets who refuse to ride WBP because its not pure enough for them - most of them are psycho)

Also, all the parks have a different (for lack of a better term) vibe - have a read about them to see which you would be into

Ninja Cougar

Likes Bikes
We rode Mt Washington for one day in 2008. It's a nice change to Whistler, being a much smaller, quieter place. Not as much variety of tracks, not as smooth with lots of rocks. When we were there they were building some kewl looking lines of jumps -- don't know how they are now?

We are going back to Whistler for 3 weeks this July/August -- can't wait !!!

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
anyone coming here any time soon the bears are out in force! specially lower whistler downhill and nearly got one this morning on ninja cougar. oh and just to make everyone jealous yes the park is now open and shitloads of fun! good times

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Fors for that Jazza, I feel sad now. I was meant to be there a week ago :(

Guys I could be in a major dilemma so I need your help! Basically, I took my sweet time and did myself over by not submitting my passport and work visa application earlier. This was OK, I still had heaps of time, but I made a bigger boo boo... Basically I sent off the visa application as soon as the passport arrived, but I ticked yes to having a criminal record (ouch!) because I thought I should be honest as they will probably find out anyway, and it could get very bad it they did find out.. ANYWAY all I put down was 'driving at less than 10kmph over the limit' (WHO HASN'T???), so I had to get a criminal record check. Now the real drama starts when we call up the department that handles this and they tell us, "Oh sorry, we forgot to do it", so that set me back 3 WEEKS!! So I get the crim check and sent off the visa app. Aparantly they are very harsh with these sort of things and if I get rejeted because of this stupid fine then I wouldn't be allowed in to the country even as a tourist! Shattered dreams that is, and mates are relying on me being there. I also cant buy my ticket at $2k, it will have to be more like $2.7k now..

Under 'normal' conditions (which dont include the crim check) the visa should come back in the next 2 weeks, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to speed it up or be prepared when it finally comes. Calling them wont work.

Any suggestions? First overseas trip impending fail :mad:

beardi

Likes Dirt
Ewwwww, that sounds really ugly. A good reminder for everyone to read the fineprint carefully. I think you'll find that speeding fines, parking fines and minor offences aren't grounds to be rejected at immigration - DUI's, however, are something very different.
Anyway onto your problem - I assume that you have applied for the working holiday visa? If that's the case then that arrives by email and is confirmed at immigration. You could simply try to enter Canada on a tourist visa (usually 90 days) to get your holiday underway while you wait for the email. Once you get it you could try heading to the US for a few days and then re-entering on your working visa. You won't be able to work legitimately until it arrives but at least youu'd be there riding. You may encounter some questions each time at immigration but i'd be very suprised if they rejected your initial entry on a standard tourist visa.

jgdj18

Likes Dirt
A speeding ticket does not give you a criminal record. You should have ticked, "no i don't have a record". Your record should come back clear and I expect they will ignore the speeding fine.

As far as speeding it up - just keep ringing them I guess.

S.

ex offender
anyone coming here any time soon the bears are out in force! specially lower whistler downhill and nearly got one this morning on ninja cougar. oh and just to make everyone jealous yes the park is now open and shitloads of fun! good times
I think I nearly hit that same one, except it was on A-line sitting up like Yogi on the 2nd hip line! Ran up towards Ninja Cougar as I came towards it though.

Steve > bear! hahah

And yeah was a big bastard about 20ft off Lower Whis DH all day too. Pretty docile things, didn't even give us a 2nd glance when we went past.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Getting so stoked hearing all the reviews on nsmb and here bout whistler. For any of the guys that have been to Mt Washington, whats it like to get to? I see there are airports and ferry services, any tips on ease of travel I guess?

I'm starting to try organise the rest of my trip after the 2 weeks at whistler is all.

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys,
I'm still looking about going to Whistler for July. In regards to Visa, I have been onto the Canadian Embassy website and done some research. If I was looking at entering Canada for only 1 month (July) it says that beacuse I am and Australian Citizen and only remaining within the country for a short period of time, then I do not require a visa.

Can anyone confirm this?

This informaiton was taken from:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Thanks.

S.

ex offender
Hey Guys,
I'm still looking about going to Whistler for July. In regards to Visa, I have been onto the Canadian Embassy website and done some research. If I was looking at entering Canada for only 1 month (July) it says that beacuse I am and Australian Citizen and only remaining within the country for a short period of time, then I do not require a visa.

Can anyone confirm this?

This informaiton was taken from:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Thanks.
Yeah that's correct, only need a visa if you're going to be here more than 90 days and/or you want to work here.

binner

Hath shat hymself
cubs to win the world cup

I think I nearly hit that same one, except it was on A-line sitting up like Yogi on the 2nd hip line! Ran up towards Ninja Cougar as I came towards it though.

Steve > bear! hahah

And yeah was a big bastard about 20ft off Lower Whis DH all day too. Pretty docile things, didn't even give us a 2nd glance when we went past.
you are fine as long as there are no cubs in sight...then you have to really worry. Ask Fallboy about that....:D

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Ok guys I'm sweet. I resigned yesterday and just as it happens I get home and I've received the emailed letter of introduction!!!!! So stoked!! Should still be able to get those $2k tickets now, not $2.7k!!! :D

Cheers for the help though beardi

See all you pinners there in 2 weeks onwards :cool:

Ryan

Radministrator
Getting so stoked hearing all the reviews on nsmb and here bout whistler. For any of the guys that have been to Mt Washington, whats it like to get to? I see there are airports and ferry services, any tips on ease of travel I guess?

I'm starting to try organise the rest of my trip after the 2 weeks at whistler is all.
To get to Mount Washington; drive about 90 minutes south on Highway 99 from Whistler and hop on the ferry from Horshoe Bay to Nanaimo. Drive north from Nanaimo to Mount Washington. Done. It's pretty much highway all the way and ridiculously easy, assuming you have a car.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Yeah thats the main issue for me, ill still be 6 months shy of 25, so hire cars are out for me. Plus I'm travelling by myself. Mainly wondering whether there are bus services etc

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Plus I'm travelling by myself. Mainly wondering whether there are bus services etc
Greyhound.ca is going to be your special friend.

You'll have to box a bike if you are travelling with them though, the only route where you don't have to is from Vancouver to whistler. But they are pretty cheap, have heaps of services, roll in all kinds of weather (the drivers ability on snow and ice is phenomenal) and there is a slight chance the dude next to you will cut your head off with a knife. Enjoy.

jasevr4

Likes Dirt

Steve > bear! hahah

Pfft, I looked out the window of our backyard this arvo and there was a big one about a metre away! Someone had left rubbish outside. :mad:

By the time I realised though (I was watching TV) someone was already yelling at it and chasing it away lol. I just assumed they were yelling at a dog or something.:D

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Pfft, I looked out the window of our backyard this arvo and there was a big one about a metre away! Someone had left rubbish outside. :mad:

By the time I realised though (I was watching TV) someone was already yelling at it and chasing it away lol. I just assumed they were yelling at a dog or something.:D
Hahahahaaa this is funny as, seeing as I just got the lecture of what animals to avoid up there from the missus's step dad. Dear, bears, wolves, kyotes, etc... Bit of a laugh really... But seriously has anything major happened with riders pinning it down being chased by bears over the step downs etc and eventually getting T-bar'd off the side of a berm or something? :rolleyes:

Ryan

Radministrator
Had my closest bear encounter ever today on my first run of the season down Crank It Up. Came around a blind corner and there he was! Came to a stop about a metre away, shit myself and then put all of my finely tuned bear wranglin' skills into practice. He backed down. Pussy.

binner

Hath shat hymself
you crack me yup

Greyhound.ca is going to be your special friend.

You'll have to box a bike if you are travelling with them though, the only route where you don't have to is from Vancouver to whistler. But they are pretty cheap, have heaps of services, roll in all kinds of weather (the drivers ability on snow and ice is phenomenal) and there is a slight chance the dude next to you will cut your head off with a knife. Enjoy.
bahh hahhh ...the bit about the drivers being aces on snow is correct, ooh and also the part about the dude sitting next to you. go for the seat right next to the door...safest in the house