CAN 2010 July - Whistler.

binner

Hath shat hymself
flame thrower jack off

Had my closest bear encounter ever today on my first run of the season down Crank It Yup. Came around a blind corner and there he was! Came to a stop about a metre away, shit myself and then put all of my finely tuned bear wranglin' skills into practice. He backed down. Pussy.
you sure that wasn't toodles in a suit.

Last edited:

S.

ex offender
Had my closest bear encounter ever today on my first run of the season down Crank It Up. Came around a blind corner and there he was! Came to a stop about a metre away, shit myself and then put all of my finely tuned bear wranglin' skills into practice. He backed down. Pussy.
There are TONS of bears around at the moment, already hearing stories of collisions.

ademb

Likes Dirt
what the hell do u do in this situation haha? Im sure if it came down to it you wouldnt be able to outrun a frikkan bear.

Ryan

Radministrator
what the hell do u do in this situation haha? Im sure if it came down to it you wouldnt be able to outrun a frikkan bear.
Get the bike between you and the bear, remain calm, make yourself look as big as possible and tell him to fuck off in a calm but assertive tone of voice. At least as far as I understand it. I've encountered 3 bears on trails in the last year and it's worked every time. If it does charge you you're supposed to hold your ground as 99% of the time it's a bluff charge. If you do have to run, run downhill, apparently they're super-useless going downhill due to biomechanics and weight distribution; they have short front legs with lots of weight over them and will basically endo themselves if they try to run downhill.

These are all black bears and they have absolutely zero interest in attacking humans, which is probably the hardest thing to get your head around as a "Holy crap! A fricken' bear! Aieeeeee!" Aussie. You're only in trouble if you get one cornered, come between a mother and cubs or come between a feeding bear and it's food. Bears are chill. Scary as hell but ultimately chill.

Last edited:

ademb

Likes Dirt
haha cool. Ill make sure to rememeber that. Came across this on another american forum. Seems fitting haha

The Dept of the Interior has issued this advisory for hikers, hunters, fishermen, golfers and any other sportsmen to take extra precautions and be on the alert for bears while in the National Parks.

People should wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bears unexpectedly. They also advise them to carry pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch for signs of bear activity.

People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did my first park day of the season yesterday... only saw the bears from the lift. I was riding the lift with a friend of a friend who saw a Lynx (mountain lion) on crank it up. Most locals will go their whole life without seeing one so I wasnt too concerned.
I had a very close encounter with a cub in the bone yard 2 years ago. It shit itself as much as I did!

Derrelict Rider

Likes Bikes
got my first trip to whistler planned for may next year, i'm nowhere near good enough to tackle that shit right now (only been riding for a couple months) it's gonna be amazing!!!

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just a quick headsup for anyone planning to buy a bike while over here, currently in BC they have GST and PST (provincial sales tax) on most things EXCEPT bikes and equipment for other healthy activities which only get the one tax from the federal government. As of June 1st (I think, have to double check the date) these 2 taxes will be combined to 1 tax which means bikes will be more expensive.

That said, there are quite a number of shops (like 6) that have become Intense dealers this year and will be keen to move 951's for cheap. I built another one up today and it is marked down to $4k plus tax for a complete bike with boxxer teams. my shop alone has 2 bikes and 2 frames...

Not trying to drum up business, but for those that are in the market, it might be an idea to jump on the net to save yourself $400-$500 in tax

rsquared

Likes Dirt
just a quick headsup for anyone planning to buy a bike while over here, currently in BC they have GST and PST (provincial sales tax) on most things EXCEPT bikes and equipment for other healthy activities which only get the one tax from the federal government. As of June 1st (I think, have to double check the date) these 2 taxes will be combined to 1 tax which means bikes will be more expensive.

That said, there are quite a number of shops (like 6) that have become Intense dealers this year and will be keen to move 951's for cheap. I built another one up today and it is marked down to $4k plus tax for a complete bike with boxxer teams. my shop alone has 2 bikes and 2 frames...

Not trying to drum up business, but for those that are in the market, it might be an idea to jump on the net to save yourself $400-$500 in tax
Hey Reubs, gonna be back in whistler in a couple of weeks to work the season again. Was gonna build up a v10 when I got back which is looking like just over $7k build at moment. Do you know of any santa cruz dealers around bc or canada that have some good deals or might be looking to do the same with v10´s as you are with 951´s? At the moment i´m looking at a v10 frame with rc4 shock for about $3200 can from calgary cycles so if anyone knows of better prices that would be sweet.

Also just out of interest what is the rest of the build on those 951´s for $4k??

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, buggered up the price as it was late... its actually $4900. Its all Sram gear, Boxxer team, Elixir r, x9, truvative etc. its a cheaper price point build than the other one we have built up. You'll get a 951 frame for cheaper than the v10 for sure, I know how keen my boss is to sell one reguardless of the profit margin. He already has "make an offer" tags on the frames!

Calgary Cycles is possibly going to be the cheapest for S.C. I bought a vpfree from them back in 2004 and they are really good guys. Otherwise you should try Steed cycles in north van- its on your way up to Whistler anyway. Talk to my friend Scott (assistant manager) and tell him that Reuben said to give you a good deal. He will probably bump the price up though! They have pretty good prices on 5-10 and TLD gear too, I got a D3 from them.

binner

Hath shat hymself
car hire in whistlekok

looking for local car hire in whistler ...any connections?

cheers peeps

binner

Hath shat hymself
bigtime

^^^^^ cheers bloke. I know there is avis and budget I think , was hoping for something like hotfrog or a cheaper company. I can't really find much online.

S.

ex offender
^^^^^ cheers bloke. I know there is avis and budget I think , was hoping for something like hotfrog or a cheaper company. I can't really find much online.
Don't think there's a Budget here, there might be in Squamish though - it doesn't cost that much to get the bus to/from Squamish either so if the rental is significantly cheaper then that one is definitely worth a look. Avis aren't too unreasonable though.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Don't think there's a Budget here, there might be in Squamish though - it doesn't cost that much to get the bus to/from Squamish either so if the rental is significantly cheaper then that one is definitely worth a look. Avis aren't too unreasonable though.
i heard renting in van is really cheap, cheaper to send someone on the bus with greayhound, $20, and them pick it up and then drive back to whistler...