CAN 2010 July - Whistler.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
like people trying to stand in front of the bike carriers as they come in and load the bike from the front only to have the carrier nearly run over them and there bike....
Photos!!! that would be trucking hilarious!!! I like watching people struggle with the "singles line hook" on the bike carrier. Its gold when they bust the valve stem off and dont realise till they are at the top with a flat!

S.

ex offender
Photos!!! that would be trucking hilarious!!! I like watching people struggle with the "singles line hook" on the bike carrier. Its gold when they bust the valve stem off and dont realise till they are at the top with a flat!
Some people just aren't made for chairlifts. It constantly amazes me how many people can't get their bike onto the carrier - it's really not rocket surgery.

Anyway to anyone coming - do whatever you can to ride trails outside the bike park too. Ask around and get people to show you round, there is some truly amazing stuff (and some truly scary stuff) here that isn't in the park.

Anyway, not to brag, but after 3.5 weeks of the bike park being open I'm sitting on 17 days and 105 runs in the park :)

jrewing

Eats Squid
Before i go book accommodation at the staff lodges, i thought i'd post here first to see if anyone has a spare room/bed? Never know...
I'll be there for just over two weeks between 29th july- 15th aug.
Cheers
Josh

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Before i go book accommodation at the staff lodges, i thought i'd post here first to see if anyone has a spare room/bed? Never know...
I'll be there for just over two weeks between 29th july- 15th aug.
Cheers
Josh
Hey Josh, im going to miss you by about a month :( pitty, hows things? Havent seen you out on the trails for ages!

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FYI. just read in the Georgia Straight that on july 1 there will be a new hostel opening in whistler. It is a Hostelling International run place with 188 beds in dorms of 4 beds for $35/night for members/$39 non members. It has 1 "set of bathroom facilities" per 2 dorms (this is good compared to most backpackers). It also has private rooms (for 2 people) with an ensuite for $115/$123.

Hostel has a cafe, kitchen for guest use, decks with bbq's, tv lounge and games room. It was part of the athlete's housing for the olympics and is located in Function Junction which is on the local bus route to the villiage (its 7kms from the bike park).

check this ---> www.hihostels.ca/newwhistlerhostel/

oh, and S. you suck! 1 day with a dozen runs or so- but I'm in north van so thats to be expected...

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone is going to be riding the bike park on thursday gives us a shout or keep an eye out for a blue 951 with white 40's (me) and a white evil revolt (my friend).

ademb

Likes Dirt
Anyone else booked a trip this years season yet? I'm on countdown, less then 2 months till i leave, only problem is i havent been able to ride for the last month now due to ligament damage and bone bruising in my right ankle. Fkn soccer.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
If anyone is going to be riding the bike park on thursday gives us a shout or keep an eye out for a blue 951 with white 40's (me) and a white evil revolt (my friend).
Reubs, I'm working Thursday but don't start till 11. Might get some quick laps in before I start. We open the lift at 9.45 as well, not 10 as advertised, if you want to get some early laps. I'm working the lifts in the bike park so I'll be pulling your bikes all day, say g'day.

ademb, seriously rest up as much as you can. Whistler will beats the hell out of your body and especially when you get here it will be crankworx time so the trails are pretty blown out so your ankles are gonna take bit of a battering.

Dale.

Last edited:

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet! I'll bring the vegemite, you bring the VB.

Any idea when garbo will be open yet?

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Sweet! I'll bring the vegemite, you bring the VB.

Any idea when garbo will be open yet?
Plan is to open Garbo this weekend..... :)

If you check out NSMB whistler thread there is a topic in there about it. Patrollers and trail crew workers actually post on those forums so you get pretty good up to date info about what is going on in the park.

jmeers

Likes Dirt
Plan is to open Garbo this weekend..... :)

If you check out NSMB whistler thread there is a topic in there about it. Patrollers and trail crew workers actually post on those forums so you get pretty good up to date info about what is going on in the park.
Cool will be there next week .....woohoo

solokiter

Likes Bikes
Season Passes

Wooot Garbo open tomorrow!!! Not all of it but a fair few trails. Will be sweet
Hey dudes,

hows the riding over there atm? I'm looking at booking for August - any tips?

Also - should I buy a season pass before I leave? I also saw something about 'end of season' passes? Any truth in that?

Cheers

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
Hey dudes,

hows the riding over there atm? I'm looking at booking for August - any tips?

Also - should I buy a season pass before I leave? I also saw something about 'end of season' passes? Any truth in that?

Cheers
End of seasson passes are goooooooood. They only start at the beginning of september though. I was there last year around the 10th and bought it for $220CAD (10 days of riding would have cost nearly $500). Beauty. By then Garbo opens on the weekends only and during the week, the mountain is dead!!!! All for you to take.

Already bought my ticket for 11th September this year, Whistler/Silverstar this time and will take the season pass option again. September is beginning of fall and gets wet but also cooler and super fun.

Buying here or there is the same in August. Their website is pretty good and you buy 3 days first, and any additional day, you only have to pass your credit card in the mornings and they will take the fee.

Tips? Have fun, but don't go hard early. Try Crank it up first to get used to the table tops as initially they throw your back wheel up making you go OTB easily. Did not happen to me luckily but you need to change how you approach those table tops specially when you are coming bloody fast. Once you do a couple of runs you are good to hit the bigger stuff!

Get ready for the most amazing riding ever mate.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
we are G O for go

11am flight outta brisvegas ...yups are on the move. See yawll for massive boasting and beers at the G L C.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

I'm putting a request in for anyone who may (for any reason) have a spare bed for two weeks in Whistler for early September (around 5th-20th).

I am 26, clean & tidy, laid back, and more than happy to pay my way or extra just for the convenience. I'll be travelling alone so no baggage (except for me bike)

Cheers,

Sam
Check out these guys, I just stayed with them last week. They are awesome! It might seem expensive at first but they provide transfers, all the tools you need, bfast and dinner and they also show you the trails. Definatly worth a lookin

http://www.bearbackbiking.com/

atomik_mulisha

Likes Bikes
Hey guys. Will be arriving over there on friday! Pretty pumped. One silly question, its time for a new helmet, so thinking of leaving my old d2 at home and picking up a new lid when i get there to save room and weight in my baggage. Is anyone fimiliar with the bike shops there and helmet prices/range? Prob looking for a 661 evo maybe have a look at a d3 if cheap enough? Id assume theyd have plenty of stock but not sure on the prices. Dont want to be forced to get something i dont really want or pay more than i wanted to. Cheeer.

pieno

Likes Dirt
Hey guys. Will be arriving over there on friday! Pretty pumped. One silly question, its time for a new helmet, so thinking of leaving my old d2 at home and picking up a new lid when i get there to save room and weight in my baggage. Is anyone fimiliar with the bike shops there and helmet prices/range? Prob looking for a 661 evo maybe have a look at a d3 if cheap enough? Id assume theyd have plenty of stock but not sure on the prices. Dont want to be forced to get something i dont really want or pay more than i wanted to. Cheeer.
D3 retail at $599 + tax in Canada, not sure about the Evo though