Can America be fixed?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Maybe some have decided that it can't be fixed and have decided to make hay while the sun shines.

Maybe some have decided that it can't be fixed and have decided to make hay while the sun shines.

I thought that was going to be some fake trailer at first. Seems a little surreal that the country is legitimately lurching towards this and still makes a film out of it for shits and giggles.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
I thought that was going to be some fake trailer at first. Seems a little surreal that the country is legitimately lurching towards this and still makes a film out of it for shits and giggles.
They did the same with Idiocracy :p
Pre-documentaries?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

Looks a bit B grade but has some good people in it, I'd probably watch it.
From what I understand any 'civil war' won't be an open full scale fratricide like the above movie portrays, more like a lower level bombings / assassinations / terrorism (think IRA in the 1970s or Al Qaeda / ISIS more recently)*. The crazies just don't have enough Generals and higher ups on side who'd support them - which is what Trump found out when he kept wanting to turn the military on US citizens or bomb other countries, the smart people in the room kept saying no.

*you could argue that the US is in a form of civil war already if you counted the number of mass shootings conducted by ultra right wing conservative religious nutcases as terrorist acts.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Colleague of mine was involved in this study. In an episode of my podcast over two years back I warned of this and one of my colleagues countered by saying that this is all part of US politics and there is a long history of violence in US political culture. I didn't say it in the pod ep (which I had) that civil is an element of that violent political culture!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most of their homocides are from some type of a gun.
I wonder why they have an abnormal amount of serial killers, there must be a lot of social dysfunction in the US?

1704504053139.png

1704504159603.png

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Most of their homocides are from some type of a gun.
I wonder why they have an abnormal amount of serial killers, there must be a lot of social dysfunction in the US?

View attachment 406006

View attachment 406007
One thing I have noticed is the saturation presence of firearms on USA made television and movies. Firearms seem to be used whereever possible to "solve problems" :oops:
Kids in the USA (and here, Jeebus help us) grow up watching A LOT of gun fights and gun deaths depicted in TV and Movies, (and video games) and there often appears to be little or no consequences when the protagonists kill people. we don't see debriefing of cops or any of that pesky admin and paperwork that follows a legal discharge of a firearm. The hero shoots the baddy, everyone high-fives and the hero buggers off. roll credits.

Add to that the Me Me Me culture and poor impulse control , A Massive Gun manufacturing industry that doesn't give a fuck about anything except their massive profits, Aggressive lobbyists, Spineless politicians and legislators owned by the gun industry via donations and campaign finance... - who only wring their hands after every mass shooting.

I know I'm a broken record on this shit, but their society is utterly fucked until they are somehow able to rein in the gun industry, and make health, education and societal infrastructure improvements that focus on building community and society.

I don't think it will happen. A president with a spine and the military onside would have to use presidential power to nationalize the gun industry, purge the lobbyists and nutjobs who want and get open carry etc, change their wanky constitution to AMEND the 2nd AMENDMENT.
Some states will rebel, there will be a civil war, and heavily armed militias nation-wide will get enormous stiffies. Won't that be fun. :rolleyes:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'd argue that it's been happening there for years already: