Can America be fixed?

mark22

Likes Dirt
Na we had Port Arthur and the great hand in…
There are more legal firearms held in the community now than there were before Port Arthur compulsory buy back scheme of some types of firearms.
Australians generally view firearms as something to use for hunting or target sports and collecting not for waving around when you're pissed because it's your right to bear arms IMHO.
Also we have to have genuine reason to posses one. I believe we have gone down a completely different path than the US on this thank goodness.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
There are more legal firearms held in the community now than there were before Port Arthur compulsory buy back scheme of some types of firearms.
Australians generally view firearms as something to use for hunting or target sports and collecting not for waving around when you're pissed because it's your right to bear arms IMHO.
Also we have to have genuine reason to posses one. I believe we have gone down a completely different path than the US on this thank goodness.
Exactly. Its 100% cultural over there.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I have no doubt that is true. But back then, the shooter was licensed, but the guns were not necessarily registered. No gun safes either. Dad's only rule on the farm, was the guns/rifles and the ammo, had to be stored separately. I had an A,B,C license and could shoot anything, and it's a long time ago now, but I'm quite sure the two Fieldman rifles I handed in after Port Arthur were not registered, at the time. Honestly I can't remember, but I do remember paying for and upkeeping my shooters license.

So, there may be more legal firearms now, but I'm positive, back before Port Arthur, there were many more unregistered firearms than there are now.

Australians generally view firearms as something to use for hunting or target sports and collecting not for waving around when you're pissed because it's your right to bear arms IMHO. Also we have to have genuine reason to posses one. I believe we have gone down a completely different path than the US on this thank goodness.
For sure.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I have no doubt that is true. But back then, the shooter was licensed, but the guns were not necessarily registered. No gun safes either. Dad's only rule on the farm, was the guns/rifles and the ammo, had to be stored separately. I had an A,B,C license and could shoot anything, and it's a long time ago now, but I'm quite sure the two Fieldman rifles I handed in after Port Arthur were not registered, at the time. Honestly I can't remember, but I do remember paying for and upkeeping my shooters license.

So, there may be more legal firearms now, but I'm positive, back before Port Arthur, there were many more unregistered firearms than there are now.

For sure.
Unfortunately the data shows that the vast majority of gun crime is committed with weapons that began their lives as legally purchased/owned.

There may be a case that the stats are skewed because of the gun buyback scheme. Many of the weapons that are used in gun crimes now are illegal due to the changes in law after Port Arthur - they weren't handed in and have since filtered into the black market or have been stolen and used in crimes.

But the bottom line is that these once legal weapons are now being used in crimes. Therefore, the argument might be made that the more legal weapons you have, the more gun crime you will get. We might have less in comparison to guns per person than the US, but we might have even less if we had less guns.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Unfortunately the data shows that the vast majority of gun crime is committed with weapons that began their lives as legally purchased/owned.

There may be a case that the stats are skewed because of the gun buyback scheme. Many of the weapons that are used in gun crimes now are illegal due to the changes in law after Port Arthur - they weren't handed in and have since filtered into the black market or have been stolen and used in crimes.

But the bottom line is that these once legal weapons are now being used in crimes. Therefore, the argument might be made that the more legal weapons you have, the more gun crime you will get. We might have less in comparison to guns per person than the US, but we might have even less if we had less guns.
*fewer

Lazmo

Old and hopeless

- they weren't handed in and have since filtered into the black market or have been stolen and used in crimes.

But the bottom line is that these once legal weapons are now being used in crimes. Therefore, the argument might be made that the more legal weapons you have, the more gun crime you will get.
I'm sure you know more than me...

But the argument could also be made, that if all the unregistered guns pre-Port Arthur were not handed in, then the criminals would not need to steal the legal ones to do their business, they would have a ready supply of unregistered guns.

One thing I know for a fact. I'm a farm boy, and lots and lots of my farm boy mates had guns/rifles. My brother in law is a farmer, and yes he has a .243 rifle to shoot foxes and put down whatever, but it lives in a safe. He definitely would have had more guns/rifles as a kid. I know I did.

Regardless, less guns/rifles is better.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

But the argument could also be made, that if all the unregistered guns pre-Port Arthur were not handed in, then the criminals would not need to steal the legal ones to do their business, they would have a ready supply of unregistered guns.

One thing I know for a fact. I'm a farm boy, and lots and lots of my farm boy mates had guns/rifles. My brother in law is a farmer, and yes he has a .243 rifle to shoot foxes and put down whatever, but it lives in a safe. He definitely would have had more guns/rifles as a kid. I know I did.

Yeah but if those foxes had guns they would be able to protect themselves when the farmer comes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ha ha, weirdly he uses Lamas now as deterrents.

When I was kid, we did endless spotlighting for foxes before and during lambing season.

Of those llamas had guns the sheep would be much safe! The second a fox comes into the school shooting up the place, any of the teachers I mean llamas could pull out their gun and start shooting the bad guy.

dkselw

Likes Bikes
Official stat's link

You may want to rethink your above statement.
Quoting from the link above:
" From the available data, it can be surmised that handguns used to perpetrate crimes in Australia are usually illegal at the time of the crime. Surveys with police detainees also suggest that relatively informal transactions involving a family member or friend characterise the most common method of illegal handgun acquisition, with private sales and 'the street' as additional important sources. The origins of these handguns are less clear, although diversion and theft from legal owners may be primary avenues. "

In particular " The origins of these handguns are less clear, although diversion and theft from legal owners may be primary avenues ".

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Yeah, you're right, the stats that I've cited and the potential arguments that flow from them are just the start of the discussion. I've dug the stats up and given it some thought, but nothing comprehensive.

I don't have a big problem with rifles in rural areas. I don't have a problem with people owning guns for target shooting. I'm a qualified marksman and used to rep Australia is military skills at arms comps back in the day - I love shooting. It's the handguns that are the biggest problem, and then combat weapons. If we can keep these kinds of weapons out of our society then I think that there is a high likelihood that we won't see Australia replicate the US in terms of idiocy, no matter how many rifles and target shooting guns we have in Australia.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Official stat's link

You may want to rethink your above statement.
So I've read the abstract (not going to read the whole thing and am willing to accept your summary), and I can't see anything that contradicts what I said. Secondly, this paper seems to be talking about handguns, not all firearms.

I'm not going to do it now, but should be able to dig the stats up again.

mark22

Likes Dirt
So I've read the abstract (not going to read the whole thing and am willing to accept your summary), and I can't see anything that contradicts what I said. Secondly, this paper seems to be talking about handguns, not all firearms.

I'm not going to do it now, but should be able to dig the stats up again.
Handguns are the most relevant in this context as they by far the most used type to be used in crimes.
Criminals like Outlaw mc gangs seem to be getting them into the country somehow and on selling the to the likes of Middle Eastern Criminals and whoever else wants to pay.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
gangs seem to be getting them into the country somehow
I wouldn't know how such things are conducted, but I do live on a very busy working harbour that is also a fishing town (commercially and recreationally). I can't imagine it is very hard to conduct business at sea. There'd be some surveillance to avoid.