Canberra rides and beers

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Excellent. I look forward to planning work trips back to the office around a weekend and bringing one of the bikes :)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

Haakon

Honestly, Stromlo is pretty great as it is - some new "epic" trails out back to Cotter are about the only thing I would add frankly. Maybe not be so quick to make trails too easy - I was a bit disappointed when the main front climb got a lot of rock garden filled in a few years ago, but I guess I understand they were broadening the appeal.

The appearance of The Handlebar was bloody awesome too!

Haakon

And DONT use Dirt Art to design anything... They're all bloody switchbacks and trade elevation too quickly. Give it some flow like Blue Derby.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
World Trail (who did Blue Derby I believe) are doing the design, not sure if Iconic will do the build but they've certainly been doing a good job since they took over the maintenance.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I don't see any problem with Dirt Art's work though? I haven't been to Maydena or Harcourt both of which are highly regarded, but I have used some of their great trails at and out of Thredbo.

Agreed that a long switchback descent wouldn't be the best option, I find Luge possibly the most boring descent at Stromlo. Would be nice for there to be a long fast descent from the top.

Haakon

I don't see any problem with Dirt Art's work though? I haven't been to Maydena or Harcourt both of which are highly regarded, but I have used some of their great trails at and out of Thredbo.

Agreed that a long switchback descent wouldn't be the best option, I find Luge possibly the most boring descent at Stromlo. Would be nice for there to be a long fast descent from the top.
Harcourt and Maydena are switchback central... I like Harcourt, but its not much for the high speed flow. For my money Double Dissolution, Skyline and even Pork Barrel are where its at, along with climbs like Heartbreaker.

Anyway, dirt art dont make crap trails as such, its just a style that I don't think Stromlo would benefit from. Also, the owner is a bit of a douche by some accounts.

Anyway, this is all good news and my only complaint is they left it until after I moved away!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Maydena are switchback central.
Yeah the blue trails are because they have to have a certain gradient.

Ride the blacks or double blacks, Gnar Yeah, Zen Garden, Wicked Stix, Trash Horse, Tinder etc.. straight down the mountain with a curve here and there.

Not a massive fan of some of Dirt Arts stuff, particularly Queenstown but they have done a great job at Maydena.

Haakon

Yeah the blue trails are because they have to have a certain gradient.

Ride the blacks or double blacks, Gnar Yeah, Zen Garden, Wicked Stix, Trash Horse, Tinder etc.. straight down the mountain with a curve here and there.

Not a massive fan of some of Dirt Arts stuff, particularly Queenstown but they have done a great job at Maydena.
Exactly - switchbacks or straight down. I can understand wanting the trails to shed elevation asap when your business is selling shuttles, but its not my thing.

Anyway, thats for another day and thread. I dont think the DA style would be good for Stromlo, so I'm just glad a more flow focused mob are on it :)

ozzybmx

Exactly - switchbacks or straight down.
They're not 'straight' but they follow the contours or techy features of the hill. Definitely not blatant switchbacks to lose steepness and gain distance.

When you consider Maydena gets wet traffic a lot of the year and during peak has up to 100 or more, with 130 on the hill last time we went there and we did 7 runs, that's a lot tyres scrubbing down the mountain. Potentially could be up to 1000 runs in a day, though most do 3-5 runs.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

so I'm just glad a more flow focused mob are on it :)
Which mob ? You'll find a lot of places get the extensive World trail audit/masterplan to get the funding then go to tender and may go with another 'mob'.

ozzybmx

Mentioned above, World Trails I think without scrolling back up...
That's why I mentioned World Trail, as it was mentioned up the page as was DA. The masterplan done by a trail builder doesn't mean they will get the final build tender.

Haakon

That's why I mentioned World Trail, as it was mentioned up the page as was DA. The masterplan done by a trail builder doesn't mean they will get the final build tender.
Ah right, fair enough. Well, I still love Stromlo (despite it once trying to kill me...) as it is, so any new trails are a bonus anyway :)

ozzybmx

Ah right, fair enough.
The original concept design contract for the Epic Mt Remarkable trails were awarded to World Trail. TrailScapes then got the build contract.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
If you're going to Stromlo and accessing the new temporary carpark on the south, don't be a kook: