Cannondale Australia - Stolen Bikes

;) holy crap that is one big heist thats probly nearly 100k worth of bikes i recon they will all go overseas theres no way they could sell them over here now i recon squidlys right t7 is sus so keep your eyes peiled

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Hey guys, watch what you say or someone will start mentioning a couple of words that begin with L.

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
Hey guys, watch what you say or someone will start mentioning a couple of words that begin with L.
Learsport? C'mon, they're good Christians, they wouldn't do that...:confused:

Allegedly it might explain how they keep their prices down.... Leardales anyone?

Pants
Who said allegedly and might, thus negating all legal worries.:rolleyes:

rell6103

Likes Dirt
I've heard it was 121 bikes.

A seriously professional job. Should make a movie about it. Have it like "gone in 60 seconds" and have a mad bike chase scene through the city to the docks at the end.

Sad to hear though.

intense jonoooo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess all of the Cannondale crew were here at the Scott 24 - whoever did this knew what they were doing.

I'm just curious.. not trying to prove you wrong or anything.. but wouldn't Cannondale have like a big warehouse with constant security guards and dogs.. for obvious reasons like insurance etc.. like it's not like the Cannondale crew sleep with the 07 bikes right?..... do they?? haha

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
These guys were pro and knew exactly what they were doing and when to strike. You only need to know one keen MTB rider and he/she can tell you about the size and grandeur of the Scott 24hr whether they've been to one or not. It was the perfect weekend to attack.

Yes there was an alarm system but these people knew exactly how to disable it. By that I mean how to sabotage it, not cracking codes. Again, very smart monkeys.

Apparently there were well rounded holes found in the warehouse roof which leaves the suspicion that someone (whether in person or via a camera) was watching.

Yes this was a very well orchestrated heist. Bikes are worth so much these days, and it would seem that the thieves are getting higher in value too. Lets hope other suppliers reading this will up their security systems if they're not up to the unfortunate standards being put forward.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Only a matter of time until we data-dot high end bikes.

So where will the 121 Cannondale ended up? Russia or Lebanon. :confused:

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Only a matter of time until we data-dot high end bikes.

So where will the 121 Cannondale ended up? Russia or Lebanon. :confused:
On that note, data-dot has been available for bicycle users for some time now. Your bike is registered under your drivers licence (or your parents if you don't have one) and can therefor be tracked at any cop shop. I'm not 100% on the figures, but apprently the system allows you to register up to 3 bikes under the one drivers licence. Again not 100% of the price, but I think it's around the $50-$60 mark for several thousand dots which can be put on any part of the bike. Definately a worthy system as the cops only need to find ONE dot with a UV light and they can track it back to your licence.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
;) holy crap that is one big heist thats probly nearly 100k worth of bikes i recon they will all go overseas theres no way they could sell them over here now i recon squidlys right t7 is sus so keep your eyes peiled
At a retail value starting at $2500 approx it is substantially more than 100k.
They must be exported as they are too high end to get rid of here in that quantity unless you were going to hide them away and sell off slowly.
Second hand ones are rare enough ,its not like you see them every day at the local shops:eek: .Even the transport for 120 largish boxes.... pro job with plenty of info and backup.
cheers jon

kizza01

Likes Dirt
If you were that pro, why would you go for a product that is not only hard to transport, but also hard to move within the country. Itll be bloody hard to get all of these out of the country.

On a second note, Cdale Aus should issue batch numbers and serial numbers to the public so no one buys a stolen bike.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
If you were that pro, why would you go for a product that is not only hard to transport, but also hard to move within the country. Itll be bloody hard to get all of these out of the country.
Exactly. I mean why fark around carrying 100+ bike boxes (which aren't light) and loasing a big truck up (because the boxes aren't small either). I'm surprised the thieves didn't attract any attention when they were doing it.

bazza

look at me
The truck used to transport the bikes was also stolen ...
i feel sorry for the cannondale guys. who cares about insurance or how it happened, they still arent THE biggest operation around and still struggle a bit i'm sure (or maybe not). but to have your whole stock stolen. gutted.

so heads up to all the boys/girls at cannondale aus to say the least.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
On a second note, Cdale Aus should issue batch numbers and serial numbers to the public so no one buys a stolen bike.
That is a really good idea!!! I hope someone does it :)

How unbelieveable that such a huge theft could occur :eek: I'm seriously stunned by the enormity of it.....

I hope the bastards get caught quickly :mad:

matty_101

Likes Dirt
That sucks...but honestly who steals mass bikes, diamonds gold money, those are what people steals not bulk huge and heavy bikes. am i the only one who thinks that stealing heaps of bikes is one of the most inneficient forms making money? But it is a shame that all those bikes got pinched, at least they didn'y have owners who care a lot more about them.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
That sucks...but honestly who steals mass bikes, diamonds gold money, those are what people steals not bulk huge and heavy bikes. am i the only one who thinks that stealing heaps of bikes is one of the most inneficient forms making money? But it is a shame that all those bikes got pinched, at least they didn'y have owners who care a lot more about them.
Pfft,

Theft is about motive and opportunity. Sure you can say "diamonds are worth more, blah blah blah" but that doesnt mean squat if you dont have the opportunity.

If you have a buyer and opportunity then it could be an extremely efficient way of making a few bucks.

The theives obviously had opportunity and if they were capable of shifting 120 bikes out from under someones nose, then most likely they have a buyer ready to trade.

If they are as smart as everyone seems to think they are then it probably fair to say that the bikes are on a shipping container in the pacific somewhere.

Thats totally fucked news.

bazza

look at me
i wonder how oftenly this happens at warehouses around australia. would be interesting to know.