Canyon MTB - Real Life Experience

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Did the reverb remote come under on the LH or can you sec that? I notice some bikes on their website have over on the LH which I'm not keen on.
Good point and one I wasn't sure on before delivery.

It came as left hand under (right hand over).

I think that the left hand over comes on the non Ex model of the Spectral. They have 140mm fork travel and 2x Drivetrain.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
That bike has sweeeet lines. Love how it looks.

Thanks for sharing the purchase experience. Would like more photos, including the box stuff
Sorry, a little picture heavy but you should get an idea of the packaging.

You can see the nick on the fork lower, and the corresponding damage on the box.

I also should have stated earlier, the front rotor was also not true (read bent) but I was able to straighten it.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Great photos - I feel like I was there with you unpacking it, getting excited :clap2:

Re: the fork damage & poor paint masking, like you - I could live with it. It's still a mass-produced factory bike, not something utterly bespoke...and you'll knock it about on the trails anyway.

Congrats. And thanks for the info!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Great photos - I feel like I was there with you unpacking it, getting excited :clap2:

Re: the fork damage & poor paint masking, like you - I could live with it. It's still a mass-produced factory bike, not something utterly bespoke...and you'll knock it about on the trails anyway.

Congrats. And thanks for the info!
This is exactly my thoughts. I rang the Melbourne service center, explained the damage and then told them it's all good with me. They were pretty surprised that I was so unfussed, and I think they were grateful.

I've no doubt that I'll be upside down in the bush by the end of January anyway, so all's good.

Off to Derby on the 3rd of Feb
... so hopefully I like this thing or the mrs will lose her shit.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Looks awesome ! I like the baby poo colour too.

Dont try and match anything else, just add black components.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
nice bike mofo,love the colour......
you'd think that for a company that is trying to get a foot hold in the market, that proper packing isn't asking to much,i also expected to see plenty of pics of Tas when you get back......
with or without one of you and bike upside down in the bushh.....

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I bet the colour is more impressive in real life, maybe try a different back drop. Direct sales should give a tickle up the butt to some of the distributors in Aus with their shit antics and hopefully a lot of other brands follow. Anyhow, the main thing is to enjoy the bike.

teK--

Eats Squid
I don't disagree that the damage at the fork leg would probably happen through normal riding, but that paint around the pivot bolt is a bit shoddy... If it were mine I would consider asking them for a replacement of that section of the rear triangle. Hopefully the paint is not soft/thick as you might be losing some of it the first time you have to press the bearings out.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I don't disagree that the damage at the fork leg would probably happen through normal riding, but that paint around the pivot bolt is a bit shoddy... If it were mine I would consider asking them for a replacement of that section of the rear triangle. Hopefully the paint is not soft/thick as you might be losing some of it the first time you have to press the bearings out.
I'm a realist. This is why I posted the experience here.

At the end of the day what would getting a replacement triangle actually prove? It'll look pretty for a few weeks more while I have to dick around waiting for a replacement and having to deal with the whole situation?

More stress than its worth for me. I'm happy to get out and ride it, and if it's a case that the paint flakes while pressing out bearings, I'll deal with that if it happens.

This was 1/2 the price I paid for my Yeti build so I don't have the same expectations as a boutique brand.

To be honest, it's no less shoddy than any other mass produced frame, just most people aren't honest enough to admit it after paying hard earned cash for them.

teK--

Eats Squid
I'm a realist. This is why I posted the experience here.

At the end of the day what would getting a replacement triangle actually prove? It'll look pretty for a few weeks more while I have to dick around waiting for a replacement and having to deal with the whole situation?

More stress than its worth for me. I'm happy to get out and ride it, and if it's a case that the paint flakes while pressing out bearings, I'll deal with that if it happens.

This was 1/2 the price I paid for my Yeti build so I don't have the same expectations as a boutique brand.

To be honest, it's no less shoddy than any other mass produced frame, just most people aren't honest enough to admit it after paying hard earned cash for them.
If you're happy about it then that's all that matters.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
There is hope yet...The world needs more people like JTmofo. I can imagine some wanker taking them to court for 6 months over a dodgy paint job and scratched fork, only to send the bike cartwheeling off a cliff a week later.

moorey

call me Mia
There is hope yet...The world needs more people like JTmofo. I can imagine some wanker taking them to court for 6 months over a dodgy paint job and scratched fork, only to send the bike cartwheeling off a cliff a week later.
Hardly. Chops barely rode.

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
I can also vouch for ordering a YT in Australia.

Enquired on a Monday about a Tuesday Comp CF and had immediate response.

Asked if there was any possibility of getting it sent to Adelaide by the weekend for my next race but they explained it was a no go as its coming from NZ, but they did say it would arrive within the week after that.

The bike arrived as promised and was extremely well packed.

Instruction booklet for building the bike (only wheels, bars etc) and it even came with extra mini boxes to use as stands to keep the bike upright when building.

Quality is top notch and the build is amazing.

Overall I will almost certainly be getting another YT in the future, or possibly a Canyon.

SDA

Likes Dirt
I already have a nice trail 29er, albeit a hardtail. Saying that, it charges everything and anything I ride and love it.

They are confirmed 30mm internal (measured with a vernier when setting up tubeless) so I'll see how they go. Never ride a minion ss before so keen to try it out.
How's the Minion SS going on the 30mm internal rims?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
How's the Minion SS going on the 30mm internal rims?
Hey mate,

Have done about +50km on it so far, and so far, so good.
There's plenty of sidewall support and I really happy at the grip levels. Still playing around with pressures,running between 24-28psi.
I'm pretty surprised at that the tyre isn't as square (or at least feel as square) as I was expecting. Good transition when leaning onto the side knobs, and once there, has heaps of grip.

Rolls better than the Aggressor I had on the SB6, albeit that was on a Stans Flow Ex (19mm or 20mm internal?)

I'll post some pictures later of the Minion SS mounted on the 30mm internal.

JimmyL

Squid
Canyon vs Yeti vs ?

Hey Mofo and crew,

thanks for all the info about the Canyon experience.
I'm in need of a new bike and looking at the Spectral CF 9.0 EX $6200+ $199 shipping + $100 to swap out the renthal bars for carbon. so about $6500 all in.

I'm nervous about buying a bike direct to consumer, but the guys in melb seem pretty on it.

The other option is to throw it all in and get a Yeti SB5c or 5.5c, i've got a solid 1-2 years before having kids and feel like "buying the dream" bike while I have the time to ride.
the base model is like $7500 for fairly basic components XT/SLX, nothing fancy, basic fox, etc.
The equiv of the Spectral with eagle and all the glitter is $10,500 (yes flippin 5 figures).

I ride in Canada, USA, NZ, high country and all over Vic. and after a bike which pedals great on the ups and rips on the down (aren't we all?)
I've just come off an intense tracer 275c and was not stoked on the VPP linkage - so not looking at Santa Cruz either.

I'm a bit lost, has anyone had experience with either bikes, what are they like going up and down, build, etc.
I also tend to ride bikes for 6-12 months and sell them, but because I like new shiny toys and the experience of riding new bikes.

Would appreciate any input.
Thanks!

SDA

Likes Dirt
I'll post some pictures later of the Minion SS mounted on the 30mm internal.
Thanks - that would be great. Also, is the High Roller a 2.3" or 2.4"? I'm always on the lookout for that elusive perfect tyre combo.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hey Mofo and crew,

thanks for all the info about the Canyon experience.
I'm in need of a new bike and looking at the Spectral CF 9.0 EX $6200+ $199 shipping + $100 to swap out the renthal bars for carbon. so about $6500 all in.

I'm nervous about buying a bike direct to consumer, but the guys in melb seem pretty on it.

The other option is to throw it all in and get a Yeti SB5c or 5.5c, i've got a solid 1-2 years before having kids and feel like "buying the dream" bike while I have the time to ride.
the base model is like $7500 for fairly basic components XT/SLX, nothing fancy, basic fox, etc.
The equiv of the Spectral with eagle and all the glitter is $10,500 (yes flippin 5 figures).

I ride in Canada, USA, NZ, high country and all over Vic. and after a bike which pedals great on the ups and rips on the down (aren't we all?)
I've just come off an intense tracer 275c and was not stoked on the VPP linkage - so not looking at Santa Cruz either.

I'm a bit lost, has anyone had experience with either bikes, what are they like going up and down, build, etc.
I also tend to ride bikes for 6-12 months and sell them, but because I like new shiny toys and the experience of riding new bikes.

Would appreciate any input.
Thanks!
From experience, the Yeti Switch Infinity linkage is a superb pedalling platform, and much more refined than the Horst link of the Canyon.

The Yeti 5.5 carbon would be the go if I wanted another Yeti, especially if you are looking to offload it in 6-12months. You will lose your bollox value wise either way. The more you spend, the more you lose.

It's hard to beat Canyon at the moment for value for money....

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks - that would be great. Also, is the High Roller a 2.3" or 2.4"? I'm always on the lookout for that elusive perfect tyre combo.
HRII is 2.3"

Tried to capture the sidewall shape of both the SS and HRII below

Minion SS

HRII

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
Love the bike mate! I recently got a Strive CF, and my lord the thing is like heaven.
Definitely put it through a lot on a recent trip to Bright, Falls Creek and Thredbo.
Canyon delivery & Customer service was 100% on the mark. I wanted a few things added to my order and they had no dramas, even though it was 3 days after I placed the order for the bike.
I would recommend anyone who is thinking about getting a canyon, you won't be disappointed.