Canyon MTB - Real Life Experience

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Absolutely, and admittedly, the delays in my warranty claim with Specialized were due to a slackness that existed within the LBS, the turnaround once at Specialized was amazing. Seems to be the opposite case here, in which your front end service is fantastic but there's clearly an inefficiency in the background. Do you know if you're getting the same colourway delivered? Or the new year model as replacement?
Mine was a 2017 model. Updates from 2016 were wheels, Drivetrain ect but no frame colour changes.

Looking at the Canyon website, the vomit yellow/baby poo green is not available as a build in Medium until May. How will that affect the color frame I get?I don't know!

Who knows if they have any yellow frames set aside for warranty replacements.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
That's a bit ordinary.

1. They don't have a bike they can take the frame off HERE in Australia to look after you?

2. International shipping is pretty fast and easy nowadays.

For a while I was importing and selling certain electronic items from China.....they could have them here in just a few days via DHL after they got payment.
The Melbourne service center is just that. They don't stock new bikes, they only have small parts that would be required for a quick turnaround.

I kind of feel sorry for the local service centers, seems they've been getting reamed for issues with the company as a whole.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Mine was a 2017 model. Updates from 2016 were wheels, Drivetrain ect but no frame colour changes.

Looking at the Canyon website, the vomit yellow/baby poo green is not available as a build in Medium until May. How will that affect the color frame I get?I don't know!

Who knows if they have any yellow frames set aside for warranty replacements.
They usually produce them in batches and you may have just caught them in a dry spell between their clearing of last stock and the new batches with the update builds coming through. Their pricing is set massively in favour of the built bikes, not the frame only options. I suspect they do a quota of "built bikes" and then make to order extra "frame only" kits for warranty and/or sales pending of that option to reduce stock overhead.

But all supposition. I could literally be some numpty in accounts that forgot to make the phone call that's caused the delay. Still, like you say, it's not hard to communicate the process, and it's a shame they haven't been more proactive at least at keeping you informed of these delays without having to prompt them.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I guess this is why these mail order companies delay offering product in certain parts of the world.

Until they can offer fast warranty repairs (faster than this!) they should stay the fuck away.

I really feel for you, JT.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I have 2...so I'm lucky that way.

Yep, still waiting. Contacted the Melbourne service center today and they indicated that the replacement frame has not yet shipped from Germany. It's due to leave "some time" next week. It need to go to Melbourne and then on to me in Sydney. I'm not holding out for delivery before the end of March.

In light of this, I've looked at going down a different route and buying a different brand frame and swapping components over.

I understand that these things take time, but I'm struggling with lack of communication. Surely Canyon can't have that many warranty claims going on in Australia that they can't call each customer on a weekly basis to update them?

Anyway.... anyone keen on a cut price brand new Spectral CF frame?
Canyon's reputation in Europe has gone downhill majorly in the previous 18 months due to over promising, long lead times, and very poor customer service. This was compounded by a recent shift in internal stock management systems which threw them further behind on ordered bikes/ frames. A lot of people were cancelling orders last year after 9 months wait with promises of "another couple of weeks".
Can't comment on the bikes themselves, but everything I've read about them means I wouldn't buy one.

Willjh

Squid
Makes me kinda nervous now.

Im so far 3 rides on my Spectral AL 6.0 EX and so far I love it, its a great bike. Fingers crossed I have no issues (maybe I shoulda gone a YT?)

Sorry your having so many issues JT, hopefully they get sorted sooner rather then later.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I love the Spectral. Just unlucky to have issues. Can happen to any bike. There's heaps of Spectrals and Strives floating about with no issues.
I'll give them another week,if the frames not shipped by then, I'll presume it's gonna be the long haul before delivery. I'm suspicious that there's no full builds in stock and the fact I have an notification stating that it was supposed to be shipped on the 20th Feb.

If that's the case, I'll buy something else and on sell the new frame when it arrives.

It's not all bad, I get to ride my Honzo st all the time now.... and it's so much fun!

golden path

Banned

Im so far 3 rides on my Spectral AL 6.0 EX and so far I love it, its a great bike. Fingers crossed I have no issues (maybe I shoulda gone a YT?)

Sorry your having so many issues JT, hopefully they get sorted sooner rather then later.
How are you liking it so far mate?

They are a good looking bike.

I had a real close look at the Spectral but ended up with a Stumpy.

Z

Zaf

Can't comment on the bikes themselves, but everything I've read about them means I wouldn't buy one.
Out of curiosity, and outside of this warranty process debacle, what have you heard about them ride wise that turns them completely off?

I will say that I've found my Strive to be seriously good. The only gripe I have with it is how the cables were routed out of the factory (it's clear they route for a "ight brake rear" setup and then switch hoses afterwards) and that the RaceFace BB shat the bed pretty quickly (not Canyon's fault, and a fairly common complaint of Raceface Cinch BB's). The Shapeshifter has been a real surprise in how functional (and not just a gimmick) it is. I've flirted with the idea of getting a BikeYoke modefixer for it to clean up the cables and busy cockpit it creates, but don't want to sacrifice the functionality that it offers; being able to pop the BB into the air and shorten the wheelbase a little for technical climbs is handy to the point that you'd miss it if it were gone. I honestly think Canyon blitzed it out of the park when they made this bike.

Don't be nervous.

Willjh

Squid
How are you liking it so far mate?

They are a good looking bike.

I had a real close look at the Spectral but ended up with a Stumpy.
Honestly I think it's the ducks nuts. So much good SPEC for the price. It's honestly surprised me, it climbs things i would not have thought possible, easy to ride, easy to descend on, easy to climb on, takes jumps and stops like a champ even with my fat body.

That being said I havent ridden in 6 years so take the above with grain of salt.

Every thing is amazing right now.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Just read this thread, jeez you've got the patience of a saint! Many of us would be harassment calling every day by now... Really hope it works out for you soon, keep us posted! Makes my pathetic brake warranty issue seem like such a first world problem...

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Out of curiosity, and outside of this warranty process debacle, what have you heard about them ride wise that turns them completely off?

Canyon has been a go to in Europe on the road for probably the last 4 years.
MTBs have been there and expanding, but the issues have been consistent, over promising, long lead times, and poor after market service.
And really from reading and following this thread nothing has changed since entry in the aussie market.....

Z

Zaf

Canyon has been a go to in Europe on the road for probably the last 4 years.
MTBs have been there and expanding, but the issues have been consistent, over promising, long lead times, and poor after market service.
And really from reading and following this thread nothing has changed since entry in the aussie market.....
I mean, how bad is it really? They're not questioning the validity of the claim, they're doing a full frame replacement, and they have an intended time frame for delivery of it (which one would hope they can meet). Their communication needs work, undoubtedly, but it's not like you're having to fight for the warranty.

And it doesn't seem like they're that far outside most other experiences in comparison to the competition (the uncanny example of a one day turnaround with an SB5C being, what I think we can all agree is, an exceptional case). My claim on the Stumpy was handled through e-mails to the original store of purchase, who then had a rep CC'ed into it and recommend going through the local dealership for the warranty claim, which then had about a month turnaround before the frame was back in store, and there were multiple complaints along the road to do with communication, the frame being supplied without axles or SWAT doors etc, and then me individually having to chase that stuff up with Specialized because the bike shop CBF'ed.

In the end, all complaints aside, they've come to the party with a replacement. In my experience, the delays have yet to (though they still have the potential here to screw it up, so I won't count the chickens) put them outside of well established "storefront" brands turnaround for a problem of comparable nature. It's frustrating as all hell when you're sitting within the waiting period, but I think once delivery of the new frame occurs, I think you do gain a slightly more rounded perspective of the situation. That said, it's a high stress time for anyone, and a little communication goes a LONG way in alleviating that. Hanlon's Razor.

Last edited by a moderator:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I mean, how bad is it really?.
If you read my earlier post you'll see that I totally agree that the situation isn't one I'm highly stressed over.

I also know that all bike manufacturers drag their heels when processing warranty claims. My only issue is the lack of communication between the factory, the service center and me.

Yes they have agreed that the frame needs replacing, yes they have agreed to ship it within a specified time frame (which has now passed).

This thread is an honest reflection of actual events, I'm keeping emotion out of it.

At the end of the day I will get a bike up and running again.

This hasn't soured my outlook of the Canyon Spectral as a bike (its actually a very very good bike) but buying from an online only retailer was always an experiment for me.

Z

Zaf

If you read my earlier post you'll see that I totally agree that the situation isn't one I'm highly stressed over.

I also know that all bike manufacturers drag their heels when processing warranty claims. My only issue is the lack of communication between the factory, the service center and me.

Yes they have agreed that the frame needs replacing, yes they have agreed to ship it within a specified time frame (which has now passed).

This thread is an honest reflection of actual events, I'm keeping emotion out of it.

At the end of the day I will get a bike up and running again.

This hasn't soured my outlook of the Canyon Spectral as a bike (its actually a very very good bike) but buying from an online only retailer was always an experiment for me.
Haha , sorry mate! That wasn't a reflection on your reaction to this entire situation, you're handling it really well.
It was more a response to Bear's comments that he wouldn't buy Canyon because of this, the implication being that if you write of the brand because of this incident alone, you are really missing out on a great bike over practically nothing.

Maybe I should have just said that.

Last edited by a moderator:

BT180

Max Pfaff
The only gripe I have with it is how the cables were routed out of the factory (it's clear they route for a "ight brake rear" setup and then switch hoses afterwards) and that the RaceFace BB shat the bed pretty quickly (not Canyon's fault, and a fairly common complaint of Raceface Cinch BB's).
+1 on the cables.

So I assume you have replaced the BB? What did you end up getting?

Z

Zaf

+1 on the cables.

So I assume you have replaced the BB? What did you end up getting?
I had a spare set of X01 cranks sitting around (in matching colour to the other X01 stuff on the bike), as well as a Chris King BB to match, so I've thrown them on.
I now have a set of Next SL cranks sitting around doing nothing. I will likely get one of the Hope 30mm kits for it, it seems you just run a 2.5mm spacer on both drive and non-drive and that spaces it enough to meet torque settings. My Hope BB on the Honzo has held up beautifully, so I'm confident that will be the best solution.
Just waiting for one thing to fail (here's looking at you Guide RSC's and the Reverb), then pretty much the whole lot is coming off and I'll do the job all at once. I'll switch mechs over to shimano, throw the saint brakes on, and probably buy a 150mm dropper for it and just get it all done at once.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I had a spare set of X01 cranks sitting around (in matching colour to the other X01 stuff on the bike), as well as a Chris King BB to match, so I've thrown them on.
I now have a set of Next SL cranks sitting around doing nothing. I will likely get one of the Hope 30mm kits for it, it seems you just run a 2.5mm spacer on both drive and non-drive and that spaces it enough to meet torque settings. My Hope BB on the Honzo has held up beautifully, so I'm confident that will be the best solution.
Just waiting for one thing to fail (here's looking at you Guide RSC's and the Reverb), then pretty much the whole lot is coming off and I'll do the job all at once. I'll switch mechs over to shimano, throw the saint brakes on, and probably buy a 150mm dropper for it and just get it all done at once.
Cheers. Been looking at the Hope BBs, but confused as to what I would need to get.

(OP - Sorry for the thread derail BTW).

Z

Zaf

Cheers. Been looking at the Hope BBs, but confused as to what I would need to get.

(OP - Sorry for the thread derail BTW).
Oh, before you go spend the dosh, that BB needs it's own tool, and I have NFI where to buy that from and it doesn't seem to do the E*Thirteen thing where they at least ship the tool with it.