Canyon Spectral CF 9.0

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Frame - Canyon Spectral CF size small
Rear shock - Fox Performance Float DPS EVOL
Front shock/fork - Fox 34 Performance Elite
Handlebars -RaceFace Aeffect
Stem - RaceFace Aeffect R
Grips - Canyon Bracelets - Have ordered some ODI Elites to replace these.
Saddle - Ergon SME30
Seatpost - RockShox Reverb 125mm
Front brake -Shimano XT
Rear brake - Shimano Deore XT
Cranks - Shimano Deore XT
Chain - Shimano
Pedals - HT AE03
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore XT
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore XT
Cassette - SLX 11-46
Wheelset - DT Swiss XM 1501 Spline ONE
Tyres - Maxxis Minion DHF, 2.6 | Maxxis Rekon+, 2.6 - have ordered an Aggressor 2.5 w.t to replace the Rekon.
Total weight - Canyon states 13.2, I have no way to prove this tho.

I took delivery of this bike 2 weeks ago but due to injury and a leaking reverb lever I have been unable to ride it any further than just up and the down the street. I now have the reverb lever sorted and my physio has given me the ok to ride again so looking to really testing this out at the You Yangs next weekend.

Coming from a 2015 carbon Giant Reign in size medium, I can say that this fits me better as I never really felt comfortable with the reach, even with a 35mm stem. Hopefully this transfer into a bike that is more fun to ride. I think I will need to change the front chainring out from the 30t thats currently fitted for a 32 or possibly a 34. Will probably have to wait to see how it pedals first as I have lost pretty much all of my bike fitness.

spectral1.jpg
spectral2.jpg
spectral3.jpg
spectral4.jpg

teK--

Eats Squid
Looks freakin amazing! First they have the Torque which is a mini Sender, now the Spectral which is a mini Torque :D

Show us a first ride report!

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Looks freakin amazing! First they have the Torque which is a mini Sender, now the Spectral which is a mini Torque :D

Show us a first ride report!
Cheers mate, I'm pretty keen to take it for a proper ride, further than just up and down the street.

2.5 wt Aggressor arrived today and have now set up tubeless.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Managed to take it out for its first ride on the dirt this morning at the You Yangs. I was so excited the miserable weather still didn't act as a deterrent.

First impressions were excellent. I found the bike to encourage me to push harder through turns and I seemed to ride with a lot of confidence, this is important as I have been off a bike for 4 months with a recurring shoulder injury. I did not find myself reaching for the brakes as much as when I had my Reign as the bike seemed to handle itself with a lot more composure, it felt planted, I felt that I was riding the bike and not that I was along for the ride This may also be attributed tp the fact that I have gone for a size small and not the medium as per the Reign.

The suspension may be a little on the soft side in the rear but that is probably due to set up and I will look into adding a few more PSI to help sort that out. I also noticed that there was a quite an amount of power robbing pedal bob when climbing unless the shock was set to the firm position. With my current bike fitness at level 0, this may have not be as much of an issue when I get fitter.

Comfort on the bike was also there and I completed a solid 4 hours (including breaks) with only wishing I had of set up the saddle in slightly different position to alleviate some discomfort at about the 2hr mark.

On a whole I'm super happy with the purchase and can only see myself liking it more and more as I get to know it better. I feel that this bike fits me a lot better than my previous one, its noticeable lighter, I have no pain in the wrists like I did after the riding the Regin, I feel like I am riding faster and most importantly, this bike makes me want to ride.

Last edited:

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Got out for a decent ride at the You Yangs today. I had a play with the suspension and I am much happier with it rides. I firmed up the rear little and added a little rebound along with one click on the fork. the pedal bob that I had previously mentioned was absent so it was probably not there in the first place, just the time off a bike.

I seem to be getting along much better with the 2.5 wt Aggressor and the 2.5 wt Minion than I did with the Rekon and Minion in 2.6 wt. I didn't really give the 2.6 a solid chance (just one ride) but I am happier with the way it rides now. On that if anyone is chasing either of the 2.6 wt's would be happy to move them on.

This bike just seems to get better and better the more I ride it. Still super happy with this purchase.

IMG_7453.JPG