Capital Punishment 2011

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Canberra, rain, racetracks

Clay and a little sand here and there. It hardens up quickly after a day or so of drying conditions, but suffers badly when saturated and assaulted.

If conditions are already 'heavy' and there's a downpour at the start, do you really want to be sending a couple of thousand mountain bikers out onto the single-track? If the conditions are the same this year, I hope the promoters cancel or reschedule. It would be the responsible thing to do.

And anyone who decides to start in such conditions ... well, you and your bike deserve what you get.

nayto

Likes Bikes
So are any of the race organisers on here? The website doesnt say much, im just wondering if hypothetically speaking it does continue to rain daily before the race.....will the race be postponed?My thoughts is they ran it last year, so why wouldnt they do it again. I'm not a local either but from what i read on here and the race website the trails apparently werent too bad after it dried up:confused:
I know when i was struggling through deep sloppy mud, then ripping up the singletrack i was wondering how much damage was going to be done by the 1000 odd competitors.

frensham

Likes Dirt
So are any of the race organisers on here? The website doesnt say much, im just wondering if hypothetically speaking it does continue to rain daily before the race.....will the race be postponed?My thoughts is they ran it last year, so why wouldnt they do it again. I'm not a local either but from what i read on here and the race website the trails apparently werent too bad after it dried up:confused:
I know when i was struggling through deep sloppy mud, then ripping up the singletrack i was wondering how much damage was going to be done by the 1000 odd competitors.
I can't see AROC postponing the race regardless of how much rain falls. Last year Majura had every competitor (50 k and 100k) ride through it and it recovered well. It was awful for the riders at the time but no-one will be forced to ride, will they? If riders don't like riding in the rain or in muddy conditions they can vote with their feet. I did it last year in the mud and rain and if that's the way it is this year then so be it. This is mountain biking after all, isn't it?

krisko

Likes Dirt
Put some new sintered brake pads on now, pack your mud tyres and wet weather gear!
Oh yeah and put away some dosh for new fork seals, bottom bracket, chain ring, chain, cassette, hub service, cables and suspension bearing replacement!

The average maintenance cost was $450 last time around with some spending upwards of $1k!!!

AROC show riders you give a hoot about the sport now, its not just irresponsible on every individual rider but on our local trails lets see what happens....
Or has the message been sent loud and clear from past performances?

frensham

Likes Dirt
Put some new sintered brake pads on now, pack your mud tyres and wet weather gear!
Oh yeah and put away some dosh for new fork seals, bottom bracket, chain ring, chain, cassette, hub service, cables and suspension bearing replacement!
The average maintenance cost was $450 last time around with some spending upwards of $1k!!!
AROC show riders you give a hoot about the sport now, its not just irresponsible on every individual rider but on our local trails lets see what happens....
Oh, pleeeze! I did the 100k race last year. I replaced my disc pads and cleaned out my gear cables - that's all. Total cost about $50. My pads were 50% worn anyway and my cables were due for a clean too. I'm still using the same chain and cassette, chain rings, fork seals and bottom bracket, suspension bearings (there's lots of them) and will do so again this year. They might then be due for replacement but I won't blame AROC for ruining my bike - just riding will do that.

nayto

Likes Bikes
Dont get me wrong Frensham, if its on i'll be riding it, regardless of weather. It did take a bit of a toll on my bike last year (pads, 1 cable, chain) but i loved it. I think the weather made it more challenging, but also more fun.
Was just asking the question if they would postpone, as some people are travelling a fair distance to compete with accomodation paid for in advance etc.

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
That whole area wont be happening this year due to the fact that the majority of deeks forest is now a moonscape due to a very impending housing estate going up. Most likely route from Black mountain through to stromlo will just be another fire trail network through the area not affected by the construction.

Majura is in a fine condition. They have done some raking as of today to freshen up the trails and its only really the lower sections that are even remotely a little wet.

Stromlo is fine.

Kowen areas I can't speak for, but East Kowen, from my experience, seems to mostly act like a duck :p (except for boggy creek crossing).

frensham

Likes Dirt
Dont get me wrong Frensham, if its on i'll be riding it, regardless of weather. It did take a bit of a toll on my bike last year (pads, 1 cable, chain) but i loved it. I think the weather made it more challenging, but also more fun.
Was just asking the question if they would postpone, as some people are travelling a fair distance to compete with accomodation paid for in advance etc.
Yes, it was fun last year, but I don't know when it actually became 'fun' - I do know it wasn't long after crossing the finish line though.....

The weather forecast is for quite small amounts of rain and low % chance of showers. Compare this to last year when the forecast was 'rain' with a very high % of happening. I think there will be little rain all up during the week (I am quite familiar with Canberra forecasts) and on the day it will be much, much drier than last year.

I don't think you can ever postpone until the actual day unless there has been lots and lots of rain already (which there hasn't). AROC would get slammed if they postponed based on the current forecast. Bring it on!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

Did you ride it last year, or are you just jumping on the bandwagon? Should they just cancel the event now? Even on the day last year I thought the damage was pretty superficial, and by all reports the trails recovered well.
As for bike repairs, I changed 1 set of pads and a chain. If you want to dance, pay the band.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt

AROC show riders you give a hoot about the sport now?
I'd hate to be a RD given the amount of pressure placed on them by competitors. They just can't win weather wise. Damned if they do or don't do anything.

But more importantly, how do you know the average maintenance costs?

I'm certain things wear quicker, but most parts eventually need replacing anyway. I'd be questioning the quality of bike that couldn't last 100km in the wet.

frensham

Likes Dirt
I'd hate to be a RD given the amount of pressure placed on them by competitors. They just can't win weather wise. Damned if they do or don't do anything.
But more importantly, how do you know the average maintenance costs?
I'm certain things wear quicker, but most parts eventually need replacing anyway. I'd be questioning the quality of bike that couldn't last 100km in the wet.

Couldn't agree more.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
It wasn't just the rain in the lead-up last year - it was pouring on the actual day as well.

Let's not stress about hypothetical weather this year until or unless it actually happens? Chances are, at the moment, it will be freakin' perfect. :cool:

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Boo Hoo, if you dont like it dont race!

I raced last year and loved it!

krisko

Likes Dirt
Oh, pleeeze! I did the 100k race last year. I replaced my disc pads and cleaned out my gear cables - that's all
Like I said average cost was $450, you brought the average cost down.

And yes I have given up on entering AROC races, due to there lack of compassion, high priced entry fee and in it for the money style of running events .The Angry Doc and Cap Punishment proved this. Compound this with no follow up track maintenance and most local riders get stung yet again.

I realise its a business and money has to be made but not at the expense of safety amongst other things.

Everyones entitled to an opinion.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Compound this with no follow up track maintenance and most local riders get stung yet again.
I saw plenty of evidence of post (non)race maintenance after the Doctor, and as has been said numerous times on this forum the Canberra trails all recovered nicely after the race. I rode some of the trails used in the CP 2 days ago and they are in great condition.

I realise its a business and money has to be made but not at the expense of safety amongst other things.
Please help me understand how a muddy race is a safety issue? If last years CP was unreasonably dangerous I think we need to immediately cancel every race anywhere.

el nico

Squid
Weather

my two cents.... Big difference between this and last years will be capacity to dry out between showers. Given cloudy, cold all week last year with temps being in the low teens the trails didnt have any chance to dry out despite the actual amount of rain not being huge. canberra trails usually dry out pretty fast except the shady gullies in places like majura and kowen. If we get sun with occasional showers this week, the trails should be tacky and fast with mud in a few areas, and of course this will be worse the later you ride in the start groups. a mate who started in first group last year thought kowen was lovely. I started in 80% group and all trails were destroyed.

If its sunny on friday and sat , trails will be awesome, crossmarks will be fine! I rode crossmarks last year and thought they added to the fun (didnt collect much mud, predictably slid!)

In regards to mudguards, i made a couple out of plastic and stuck em on with duct tape and cable ties. Stick one piece of thick shopping bag plastic between front forks And a stiff bit of thin plastic under your down tube about 2/3 the way up. Cost 10 cents , weighs nothing, and kept my face and expensive glasses mud free last year. You can also stick a thin bit of stiff plastic out from you seat post if you want adry bum!

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Didn't mean to start up the AROC should have/shouldn't have argument again.

I raced last year, as an adult I made the decision that I would still race and I'm not going to whinge about it now. I actually did enjoy it and wouldn't change that decision. Yes I spent $450 on my service but hey - it's a bike and it's there to be ridden.

However as an adult this year, with two wet 100km races now under my belt the novelty is wearing off and I may make the independent decision not to race if the conditions are bad. The Otway was only a month ago and that mud was soul destroying... but hey, who said mountain biking was a dry weather sport anyway?? If I wanted a cotton wool sport with no risk then I would join the local lawn bowls club... seriously ppl it's MOUNTAIN BIKING if it's muddy it will be slidey but if you enter you are kinda implying that you can ride a bike!

As we live >5 hours away from Canberra, I'm trying to gauge the situation from BOM data, hence the post. If we pull the pin then we'd rather do it Friday arvo and not drive down at all, so the decision has to be made remotely.

For the record, if I pull the pin and DNS then I will NOT whinge about loosing my entry money, nor will I blame AROC for the rain and demand sunshine next year :p

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pinkbike - I have access to a subscription long range weather service, but I can't post up the full details as it's copyrighted.

The short version, prediction generated as of this morning is for 0.4mm Wed, 0mm Thu, 2.8mm Fri and 5.8mm Sat, with the majority of that rain coming after 2-3pm.

Temperature should be 15-20 degrees with wind peaking at 14km/h westerly.

My read, it'll be WAY better conditions than last year. I rode Kowen on the weekend and the trails are in excellent condition.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Pinkbike - I have access to a subscription long range weather service, but I can't post up the full details as it's copyrighted.

The short version, prediction generated as of this morning is for 0.4mm Wed, 0mm Thu, 2.8mm Fri and 5.8mm Sat, with the majority of that rain coming after 2-3pm.

Temperature should be 15-20 degrees with wind peaking at 14km/h westerly.

My read, it'll be WAY better conditions than last year. I rode Kowen on the weekend and the trails are in excellent condition.
Many thanks that's very helpful :eek: