Capital Punishment 2011

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Just letting you all know that it has just bucketed down with rain... looks like it's going to be the same mudbath you all loved last year.

KIDDING... no rain in Canberra today! Have an awesome ride every one! May the kms tick over, the singletrack be awesome and the cramps be like kisses from angels.

Tom Foolery

Likes Bikes
T'was a good day. Discovered that riding rigid SS is not my thing though.

Anyone know where/when results will be available?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Wow!!! What an amazing event. I am smashed. Dylan Cooper won it in 3:40. Seriously fast time. Results are up at the finish line.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Thanks yeah that's a hootin' time. Mine was a silly question now I think about it ;)

Highlights for me were:

- The ST in "west" Kowen was a blast (so was E. Kowen of course but everyone knows that, and Majura, and etc etc )
- Leading my wave for an hour or whatever through Kowen (just don't ask which wave! :p )
- All the other riders were grouse
- Not getting blown up in the Defence land - bonus!
- Feeling like I was on "lap 6" of the MTB Cruise at Stromlo at the end.
- Spending 43 of my allowed 45 untimed minutes relaxing
- Knowing the tracks
- Bananas at the feed zones even though they're $13 a kilo if you can buy them at all - yum
- Finishing my first hundred :D
- Old mate at the Majura feed station was very encouraging - nice one :cool:

aaron

Likes Bikes
Horror Movie Auditions

Any news on the 50k'er who axed himself coming down the Black Mountain fireroad?

It really looked like fake blood all over his face, at least he was sitting upright and talking.

Big ups to the 100k'ers that were in attendance while the ambos made their way up from the road.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Perfect day! Great temps and a wonderful tail wind all the way. The Kowen section was the highlight for me, especially knowing we didn't have to climb all the way back up the escarpement like last year. AROC have set the bar high for possibly the best feed stations at an event - awesome range of stuff including bananas!
Great friendly vibe on the track and I made a point of thanking every single marshall/volunteer - what a great job they did.
Now, AROC, my only criticism - get a bloody PA at the start so that everyone can hear what the starter is saying!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The day started off badly walking to registration and having some loser throw an egg at me from their car. Luckily they throw like a little girl and missed.

The event was excellent though. Great tracks in the first 50km, the cycleway was a nice breather and a slightly different route around Stromlo from the Real Mtb Cruise was nice.

The feed stations were excellent. Oranges are brilliant! All of the volunteers seemed pretty happy with lots of riders saying thanks as they rode past. Everyone was friendly out on the tracks.

Smelling brakes at the end of that steep road section was interesting.

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
That was a lot of fun!! The single track was some of the best I've encountered on a marathon race.

There are always gripes but mine are so minor they're not worth mentioning.

Well organised all round. I thought this was going to be a one off for me to say I've done it but will almost certainly be back again!

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I'm going to be on a buzz from this race for ages :)

Just wondering as this was my first 100k'er, was it relatively easy, hard, normal? I know it's a personal thing...

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I'm going to be on a buzz from this race for ages :)

Just wondering as this was my first 100k'er, was it relatively easy, hard, normal? I know it's a personal thing...
I don't think it was a real hard course. There was quite a few easy kays which gave you time to recover. There was also very little climbing. The course was 100% ridable for me. I did not walk any sections which is great. I also only stopped at the feed stations briefly to refuel and at the end of the untimed to pee and adjust the front derailler. I did manage to somehow go over the bars going up stromlo on some rocks. Thanks to the guy that lifted my bike off me.
Comparing this course to the otway odyssey : the otway took me more than 2 hours longer to complete. There is no way I could ever ride the whole oo course. Some of the climbs can take 30-45 minutes at oo. Capital Punishment is harder on the upper body than oo. OO smashes the legs. Capital punishment is more fun. I think that is the best course I have ever ridden. All of Canberra's best in 1 race. Stromlo is incredible
Skyline is the best xc descent I have ever ridden.
I left nothing out there, and I cramped 100 meters from the end when I tried to stand up and sprint, so I sat back down and rolled over the line. I am completely drained.
Well done to anyone who finished. You deserve a lay down.

GeorgeT

Likes Bikes
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the day and appreciate the efforts of all involved, particularly the volunteers. BUT does anyone else think the course is a bit of dog's breakfast? Some great single track but the bits in between are a bit incongruous for something that aspires to be an iconic mtb event- a highway "time trial" before the first feed station, a lengthy mowed grass section around the airport and then a 9.5km untimed urban safari through Hackett.

Obviously the organisers are doing the best they can with the geography and land use issues but for the longevity of the event I hope some more routes become available to link together the bits that everyone loves.