Capital Punishment - AROC Shambles!

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Wow, I'm exhausted just reading that :D Sounds epic.
Yeah, a bit wordy - sorry! Check out the KMZ (with Google Earth), much easier. Also, you can see there's only like 1km of tarmac in my whole route.

Also, as soon as I posted, I thought of a way to a few more K's of quality, hopefully legal dirt: From the Majura top (Horse) gate, take the ridge-line / saddle over towards Mt Ainslie. When you get there, head back downhill (West-ish) on the firetrail to Monash Drive firetrail, and then head North on Monash Dr as above. There's more singletrack around Mt Ainslie but it's not legal.

Last edited:

RichJS

Likes Dirt
That route I drew - not much. I'm guessing here, but urban Canberra is fairly flat .. so maybe less than 1000m total? (Someone know how to pull that info out of Google Earth?)

The organisers could easily change that though - we could do some reasonable climbs by diverting the path around some of the hillier parts of Kowen Forest, finding some hilly firetrail around Black Mountain (which isn't mentioned on the AROC website), taking the Triple-Tri course from Glenloch Interchange instead of riding near the parkway. Let's not give anyone any ideas though, eh?

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personal preference but considering its 120 ks im hoping they keep it flatish, {hides as proper MTBers tell him to harden up} Saying that though if i can do 110 at the fling i might change my mind and if i can get through this years doctor i can do anything right?.

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
I noticed at the recent 8 1/4 hour spring fat tyre at Ourimbah there was a flyer for Capital Punishment in the envelopes with the race number/sponsors adverts etc. There hasn't been any update on the AROC site since April though, so I am not sure if flyer was old/Official/means anything. The flyer said the race was 100/50k

Does anyone have any more info? I am very keen on this event but news and details seem to be very few and far between.

Last edited:

gazzaed

Likes Dirt
I've lost my flyer but I think that it opens on Jan 15. Don't quote me on this though. Im looking forward to the 120km!

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
Im curious, have any approvals been made prior to advertising, this time?
That was kind of the point of my last post. They haven't actually said it is approved yet, but seem to be advertising it so I wonder if it will be the same as last year.

krisko

Likes Dirt
I'm friends with the Parks Events/Permits officer, in speaking with him, no approvals have been made!

I showed him all the advertising and he just laughed and said something like you think they would have learned.

I dont think AROC realise what work goes into getting district approvals etc

Shambles!!!

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm considering the crap that AROC copped for last year and considering a while ago they announced that the race was now 60/120kms I would say that the issues from last year have been resolved.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I dont think AROC realise what work goes into getting district approvals etc
I don't think you realise how many events AROC has run - I believe they're well aware of the processes involved by now .. Take a look at their calendar to see just how experienced they are:
http://www.arocsport.com.au/adventure/events/events_calendar.html

My only beef with AROC Sport is them deciding not to run another Rat Race / Mouse Chase. It was a SO MUCH fun - by the time my team finished the 6hr Mouse Chase we were ready to upgrade to the 12hr Rat Race next year.

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
I don't think you realise how many events AROC has run - I believe they're well aware of the processes involved by now .. Take a look at their calendar to see just how experienced they are:
http://www.arocsport.com.au/adventure/events/events_calendar.html

My only beef with AROC Sport is them deciding not to run another Rat Race / Mouse Chase. It was a SO MUCH fun - by the time my team finished the 6hr Mouse Chase we were ready to upgrade to the 12hr Rat Race next year.
Hmmm

so lets see: today my project lost it's tech lead and it's comms manager,

now I find out AROC isn't doing the Rat Race and may have to cancel CP Again - because it hasn't sorted planing issues).

Can my day get any worse:(

krisko

Likes Dirt
Look Im a fan of AROC events but when you start advertising an event without approvals my eyes roll, again!

Checking a calendar means bugger all ! Your welcome to check, ring Canb Connect and make an enquiry if you like.

No need to get snooty just telling the truth. Great bunch of people though.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
now I find out AROC isn't doing the Rat Race [in Canberra again]
Yeah. I don't know if they ever announced publicly that they weren't doing it again, but it's not on the calendar and in an response to some related questions I emailed them, they told me "The Rat Race is one of our favourites but it just hasn't taken off so we are scrapping it for next year."

I like to think that anything is possible (like getting approvals for an upcoming race that has already been announced, and is still half a year off .. and before opening entries, you whiny girls!) Maybe RR/MC be resurrected. I like an adventure race with the option of not doing any running (painful) or kayaking (too much like hard work.) Next time though, I'm not skipping the Pole Dancing classes just cause they aren't worth enough points! :D

Strangely, there are similar but apparently unrelated Rat Race events being run in other cities: http://www.ratraceadventure.com/australia/

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Decision Time..

At the moment , I am considering either the DW100 or the Capital Punishment.
I really enjoyed(!) the DW100 this year, but mates want to do CP.:confused:
As we live in Cairns/Townsville,its a bloody long way to come for a ride!
What are the similarities/differences between the 2?
Please take into consideration our situation and give your opinion as to which is better. Technical descents,scenery etc....

lounge lizard

Likes Bikes
If the Capital Punishment actually gets off the ground, the main difference will be the volume of singletrack.

I've never done the 100k @ the Dirtworks, only ever the 50, but I dont think there is any real tight and twisty in the dirtworks? Whereas I think there'll be so much @ the CP that by the time you get to Stromlo you'll be suffering from dis-orientation and claustrophobia........