Capital Punishment is GO

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
I reckon he's right ^^ and I'm wrong. Going under the Fed makes much more sense :)
Yeah... +2 to that. But I reckon instead of using the road (Majura Rd/Fed) I reckon they've gotten permission to use the farmland/winery land north of Majura Pines - otherwise that'd be stacks of asphalt.

I've ridden that stretch and they'd almost have to close off the lane because of the lack of space on hte side of the road.

As for leaving cars at Stromlo... the danger, I suppose, is considerable.. but if you leave the car there at 10pm - then it should be fine - no? Am I naive? maybe. I do rarely travel to the south side... people get stabbed down there yo (think sydney outer west). :p

I might just plan around using the shuttle bus to get back to my car.

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
I too would strongly advise no one leaves their car at Stromlo overnight, lots of car windows get busted there for the change/phone/whatever in the glovebox and that's during a normal day while people are there.

JD26

Likes Dirt
Yeah... +2 to that. But I reckon instead of using the road (Majura Rd/Fed) I reckon they've gotten permission to use the farmland/winery land north of Majura Pines - otherwise that'd be stacks of asphalt.
correcto-mondo. In majura it may climb to the top eastern corner (highest point of Majura Pines), then descend some sweet singletrack, then chuck a left across the Majura Vineyard, exiting roughly where the Bitumen road heads up to the top of Majura. Only here is there a "shoulder" (loose definition) that can handle the width of a cyclist.

This bit scares the crap out of me when I ride home after doing Majura road climb repeats. Lots of trucks and cars passing you at 100km/h :p

JD26

Likes Dirt
I too would strongly advise no one leaves their car at Stromlo overnight, lots of car windows get busted there for the change/phone/whatever in the glovebox and that's during a normal day while people are there.
That's the problem with the southside!

niftydog

Likes Dirt
details trickling in...

AROC website said:
There will be an official monitoring the vehicles parked at Stromlo overnight and at the start locations during the day until 6pm.

There will be a secure bike compound at Stromlo Forest Park to leave your bikes while you get your vehicle.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Pre race nutrition

Now for the serious stuff.

Does anyone that lives local have any tips on a cafe that will be open on the way to the start line (from Monash) for a bacon and egg roll and a good coffee- no Maccas doesn't count.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Between Monash and the start lines (50 or 100?) is essentially the entire city, but prior to 7am your options will be very limited.

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
Now for the serious stuff.

Does anyone that lives local have any tips on a cafe that will be open on the way to the start line (from Monash) for a bacon and egg roll and a good coffee- no Maccas doesn't count.
Not bacon and egg role but pastries etc yes - and pretty darn good coffee.

Cornucopia

Or there is Gus' and Essen in the city (opposite Canberra Centre). Not sure how early they open.

Last edited:

72Fury

Likes Dirt
IN SHORT.... speculating of course;)
Go through Nature reserves through Mitchell
Gungahlin Drive Extension - bitumen
Firetrails of Aranda
That would have to be around 5-6km of tar in one stretch. I thought they would have included the O'Connor and Bruce Ridge single track network. They could basically use the Sri Chinmoy Triple Triathlon bike leg 1 in reverse from Watson to Black Mountain. Less than 1km of tar.

Rookie

Likes Dirt
I thought they said they would be using Oconnor and Bruce ridge.

Coffee, There is also Artoven in Manuka. Nice bakery. Plenty there to take your fancy.

JD26

Likes Dirt
That would have to be around 5-6km of tar in one stretch. I thought they would have included the O'Connor and Bruce Ridge single track network. They could basically use the Sri Chinmoy Triple Triathlon bike leg 1 in reverse from Watson to Black Mountain. Less than 1km of tar.
I am truly hoping that they put in the Anaconda track within Bruce Ridge, but as you are not really supposed to even ride it normally, I am not sure. Not sure if they can get PCL to approve that one!

It is only 2km between the vineyard and the underpass, and probably 2km on the GDE before they could potentially go into some sort of dirt (if they can get into Bruce Ridge), otherwise another 1km or so to get to Aranda side of Black Mountain on other side of Barry drive.

I have hit this last bit up the GDE the last 2 mornings on the road bike. It is possibly the worst bit of bitumen in the world. ... maybe

JD26

Likes Dirt

I am truly hoping that they put in the Anaconda track within Bruce Ridge, but as you are not really supposed to even ride it normally, I am not sure. Not sure if they can get PCL to approve that one!

Just as I thought

from AROCSPORT
Unfortunately not this year - the tracks are "illegal" however we are working on this and should be able to include them next year.

cheers
alina

dragonfly

Likes Bikes
Yeah :( Man... I'm so hardcore, I'm breaking the law every week. as is everyone else.

If AROC could bargain with Defence and not ACT LPA then they must be some hard asses.
ACT Govt. probably refused to bargain with AROC as AROC would only want to use the tracks and not help with maintenance or further development of safe tracks. Ya can't have everything.....