Capital Punishment is GO

dbm081

Likes Bikes
Looking at the weather out there today, this is one day where I'm glad I chose to work over race. Great effort to those who completed it, I don't envy you one bit though!

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
It was fun...riding through wet cement.
Did the hundred in around 6 hours...will wait for the official results tho. Be interesting to see the post race analysis of the course...but it was hard, hard, hard. The rain has started up again quite heavily, I feel for those guys still riding the 100k. That unridable sludge before stomlo was such a brainfcuk after making some time up from Majura, I can't imagine how hard it would be to face it after 8-10 hours riding.

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Just saw some folks turning onto the Federal Hwy after leaving Majura Vineyard. That was at 3pm and they still had another 40km or so to go...

GeorgeT

Likes Bikes
The single track section in Deek's Forest was shocking. I suppose we shouldn't be too critical and hindsight is wonderful thing but.. I wonder if they should have skipped that section and sent riders straight up the foresty road/fire trail that runs next to Cotter Road into Deek's carpark. I hope people haven't been discouraged from participating in future events.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
awesome fun!

Lots of mechanicals spotted - I was lucky to have no problems but will need to replace a lot of my bike next week. Never mind - I think I beat the two dudes I wanted to beat.

After the first 10 minutes nobody was getting any wetter, colder or muddier. You just have to laugh it off, I guess.

- Joel

mtb1611

Seymour
Mate of mine had to pull out at the 15km mark due to his derailleur and hanger being torn off. Game over. A happy chappy he currently is not.

The single track section in Deek's Forest was shocking. I suppose we shouldn't be too critical and hindsight is wonderful thing but.. I wonder if they should have skipped that section and sent riders straight up the foresty road/fire trail that runs next to Cotter Road into Deek's carpark. I hope people haven't been discouraged from participating in future events.

That part of the track was definitely an eyeopener. But this was the first enduro for this little black duck and I will definitely be back for more.

burnside97

Likes Dirt
personally i think it a bloody disgrace that this race was allowed to go ahead today. Some of the best single track in australia let alone all the private land that was used must be completely fucked.
The local bike shops are going to get a lot of buisness but! strip downs, rebuilds, new brake pads, suspension servicing and the list goes on..

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
That part of the track was definitely an eyeopener. But this was the first enduro for this little black duck and I will definitely be back for more.
This is where the two leading men's elite powered through. Whilst all us n00bs couldn't even manage to be on our bikes for it, they swept through at probably 15km/hr+.

I was speechless.

My first race, and I must say the top tier elite guys have very good manners. Pretty much a pleasure getting out of the way.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All week i'd been following this thread, thinking about the sections of track i knew, what i'd been told about the bits i didn't and watching the weather forecast. I decided it wasn't worth the drama to get down there and ride. It sounds like i made the right decision. I don't consider myself to be a fair weather mtber, but at least 7 hours riding in the mud and then having to clean, fix and replace bits doesn't sound like my idea of fun.

Are AROC putting time or money into fixing the tracks after today? Like someone else said, i'm disappointed that it actually went ahead when at least one other event this year has been put off due to bad weather. It could have been done.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Yep, I pulled out also and am very glad I did. We watched some riders go past on our way to do some shopping looking totally over it! Muddy, cold and exhausted!

IMHO it should have been called off. Lets see what his said on Monday regarding trail maintenance?
Could possibly effect future events ! Lets hope not.

dragonfly

Likes Bikes
Are AROC putting time or money into fixing the tracks after today? Like someone else said, i'm disappointed that it actually went ahead when at least one other event this year has been put off due to bad weather. It could have been done.
With all the money that AROC got from those of us who had the good sense not to race, I hope they actually get out there themselves and do some track rehabilitation and not leave it for CORC to clean up their mess.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
With all the money that AROC got from those of us who had the good sense not to race, I hope they actually get out there themselves and do some track rehabilitation and not leave it for CORC to clean up their mess.
Just curious... do they pay CORC for the use of their trails ?
If so it may place a slightly different spin on the above..

The more i read the more I am glad I got back in the car and drove home.

zed42

Likes Bikes
Well that was a lot less fun than I had hoped it would be. 8.5 hours of slogging it out in the mud and the rain and I still DNF'd cos I missed the cut off at Stromlo.

That said, I still had some brake pads and 27 functioning gears left when I reached the end, which I was pretty pleased about.

abenny111

Likes Bikes
Yeah was hard work pulled the cleat out of my shoe at 15k mark of 100 kept going, rather interesting in places. 8 hours total, not keen to do it again in those conditions.