Car Insurance... for a P plater - where do I begin?

dej

Likes Bikes
In 9 years of ownership, i've never been randomly pulled over. Been through maybe 5 RBT setups and had one speeding fine.
Lucky!
I had a silver 99 wrx (which i bought new in 1998 and waited 4 months for delivery)
Was pulled over a fair bit..It was a completely stock car but they really were the flavour of the month back then and a bit of a cop magnet
On the insurance front, i was 25 when i had it, insurance (rating 2) was 1000 in the 1st year and 1200 in the second (rating 1)
I figured insurance would just keep going up as was premium fuel (it was 67c a litre for 98ron fuel at the time) so i sold the car after 2 years:(

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
P plater minefield.

Just spent half a day yesterday and this morning getting quotes for my 17yr old who got his license today.

Anyone got an opinion on Rollin Car Insurance ? Recommended by Canstar as a good company for under 25s.

The quotes I have got from him for his Corolla have ranged from $1200 to $2500.

Rollin is $65 a month for fully comp in his name with an $800 excess total for a 17yr old. So far cheaper at $780 a year :oops:

The others are $800 excess with $1000 extra for U21 drivers, which is nearly more than the car is worth.

The car is a 2003 Corolla but its only got 135k on the clock, so the agreed value is $2400 vs $4400 what we paid for it... yeah Toyota and P plater vehicle tax.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
P plater minefield.

Just spent half a day yesterday and this morning getting quotes for my 17yr old who got his license today.

Anyone got an opinion on Rollin Car Insurance ? Recommended by Canstar as a good company for under 25s.

The quotes I have got from him for his Corolla have ranged from $1200 to $2500.

Rollin is $65 a month for fully comp in his name with an $800 excess total for a 17yr old. So far cheaper at $780 a year :oops:

The others are $800 excess with $1000 extra for U21 drivers, which is nearly more than the car is worth.

The car is a 2003 Corolla but its only got 135k on the clock, so the agreed value is $2400 vs $4400 what we paid for it... yeah Toyota and P plater vehicle tax.
One of the best life lessons I got was writing off a car I only had third-party, fire and theft insurance on. My driving became slightly more sensible after that. ;) (It also cost $4400)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah I'm surprised you're going the comprehensive option, it was totally cost prohibitive when I was a grom. I just used to buy cheap shitboxes, smother them in third party insurance and hope for the best. From memory a comprehensive quote I optimistically asked about for my $800 Magna was $3k a year.

Option 2 is find a carby three cylinder Daihatsu Charade for your kids. Reliable, cheap and too slow to get into any trouble with.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Never ceases to surprise me that anyone can afford a car on their Ps thats worth insuring comprehensively...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah I'm surprised you're going the comprehensive option, it was totally cost prohibitive when I was a grom. I just used to buy cheap shitboxes, smother them in third party insurance and hope for the best. From memory a comprehensive quote I optimistically asked about for my $800 Magna was $3k a year.

Option 2 is find a carby three cylinder Daihatsu Charade for your kids. Reliable, cheap and too slow to get into any trouble with.
Option 1 is surely make the little twerps buy their own car...?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
My sister had one of those. Genuinely one of the scariest cars I've ever driven. Had the most insane brake dive I've ever experienced. Otherwise it went alright for what it was, and was like the Tardis inside when you needed to relocate a washing machine or whatever. Was reliable and ran on the smell of an oily rag too (<"You know you're getting old..." saying there!).

ozzybmx

Well its locked in with https://rollininsurance.com.au/

$780 for the Rolla, fully comp with my son as the policy owner, $800 excess total and me on it as a named driver only (not combined policy owner) as its $3000 excess if anyone not named drives the car and has an accident... I haven't claimed off motor insurance in over 30yrs and not hoping to do so at any stage soon.

Hope the little big shit takes it easy.

Just stuck the 'P' plates on his car, fck I hope he doesn't drive the car the way he rides a bike :oops:

ozzybmx

Never ceases to surprise me that anyone can afford a car on their Ps thats worth insuring comprehensively...
Most were $800-900 excess with $1000 for U21's, all costing $1200-2500 so the cars value with most was $2400, making it nearly not worthwhile.

The way we looked at it was if he crashed into somebody or something, he would be paying $1800 excess anyway and a claim ticked against him, so he might as well get the $2400 back for the car to offset the excess.

Not that he will get insurance again if he dings it at 17 anyway.

BTW- Rolling is $800 excess only, bloody cheap for a 17yr old.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
One of the best life lessons I got was writing off a car I only had third-party, fire and theft insurance on. My driving became slightly more sensible after that. ;) (It also cost $4400)
I'm hoping my son takes the same view after doing the same with my car a few weeks ago (I bought a new car and he was using my older car as a temp issue). Full comp insurance was $3k so I dropped it to 3rd party fire and theft....took a gamble and got burnt it seems.

ozzybmx

Straight home with his license, got changed in to his work gear and off he goes :rolleyes:

I've taken him for about 6-7 manual lessons but he still can't get into his head that he needs to be prepared as the gap in traffic is appearing, not select gear and go through his routine as another car will come and close his opportunity.

Just called and he's made it to work alright.

PXL_20230727_052205684.jpg

ozzybmx

Those 'rollas in a manual would go hard. Nice score for that price.
1.8 VVT-I, Its goes alright for a 17yr old. We looked at loads around 2009ish but they all had 200k+ on the clock and were looking $6.5k.

This one had 135k, just had a $550 service done, 3 months rego and new tyres. Albeit we just put a new clutch in it, still a good car at $4400 and it has a timing chain so no expensive service coming up. Seems to go on the smell of an oily rag too, 150km manual learning and its just below full at $60 a tank.

P Platers are limited to 130kW per tonne so it comes in there nicely for insurance purposes.

He just needs to keep it between the hedges.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
My sister had one of those. Genuinely one of the scariest cars I've ever driven. Had the most insane brake dive I've ever experienced. Otherwise it went alright for what it was, and was like the Tardis inside when you needed to relocate a washing machine or whatever. Was reliable and ran on the smell of an oily rag too (<"You know you're getting old..." saying there!).
Maybe hers was broken? Don't recall the brake dive - couple of mates went through a few and they would. not. die. Actually started earning our collective respect and got looked after (a bit) as a result. And yes so practical for just hauling crap. Mum had a Mira for a while and while getting in and out was an exercise in human origami it was roomy too. Also wouldn't die - eventually got sold onto a bloke who turned it into an EV (this was back in the early 2000s when that was still pretty novel).

Anyway, enough nostalgic bullshit. Great choice on the car @ozzybmx hopefully first born keeps it straight and true so the second can inherit it.

ozzybmx

Anyway, enough nostalgic bullshit. Great choice on the car @ozzybmx hopefully first born keeps it straight and true so the second can inherit it.
That is the second one, both now driving... first one drives a 2002 2.7 Hilux, its a thirsty bugger according to him.

Making me feel old now :p

ozzybmx

Only 9 months and 29 days between my two boys, don't ask me how that happened o_O

Both now 17 and #1 is an Electrical apprentice instead of doing year 12, #2 son hoping to follow suit.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well its locked in with https://rollininsurance.com.au/

$780 for the Rolla, fully comp with my son as the policy owner, $800 excess total and me on it as a named driver only (not combined policy owner) as its $3000 excess if anyone not named drives the car and has an accident... I haven't claimed off motor insurance in over 30yrs and not hoping to do so at any stage soon.

Hope the little big shit takes it easy.

Just stuck the 'P' plates on his car, fck I hope he doesn't drive the car the way he rides a bike :oops:
Insurance in this country is becoming a joke, give it another 10 years and it will be a thing only for the insanely rich. :(

ozzybmx

Insurance in this country is becoming a joke, give it another 10 years and it will be a thing only for the insanely rich. :(
I dropped RAA this year when they put my insurance up from around $1300 to nearly $2000 in one year, I spoke to them about it and they were pretty rude.

Now with BudgetDirect and back down at $1200 with an proper agreed value on my car.

Its getting stupid, those with Hospital cover are getting slammed.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
1.8 VVT-I, Its goes alright for a 17yr old. We looked at loads around 2009ish but they all had 200k+ on the clock and were looking $6.5k.

This one had 135k, just had a $550 service done, 3 months rego and new tyres. Albeit we just put a new clutch in it, still a good car at $4400 and it has a timing chain so no expensive service coming up. Seems to go on the smell of an oily rag too, 150km manual learning and its just below full at $60 a tank.

P Platers are limited to 130kW per tonne so it comes in there nicely for insurance purposes.

He just needs to keep it between the hedges.
Between the hedges still leaves heaps of options for line choice.