Food/Diet Carb loading

The Bobbo aproacheth, and this time I thought I'd put some thought into my pre ride diet.

The ride is a road ride 105kms long, 1500m of climbing. Its no three peaks but its a challenging ride for me. I know what works for me on the bike but this time I'll try some carb loading before the race beyond scarfing down a big spag bol the night before. Previous times have been 4:44 and 5:17 (sick) this time was hoping for sub 4, I think sub 4:15 will leave me content.

So starting today, for three days this is what I'm gonna eat per day (or something like it). I don't think I can actually eat this much food but I'll give it a crack. This should give me about 500+ grams of carbs a day. Also drink 2 litres of water a day which I do any way.

Starting weight 79kgs @ 180cm.

Brekky
Bagel with strawberry jam
Fruit Juice
Strawberry Yoghurt

Morning Snack
2 Oat slices
250ml Gatorade

Lunch
Baked potato with salsa
Oatmeal cookie
Choccy milk (#winning)
Bread roll

Arvo snack
Clif Bar
250 ml Gatorade

Dinner
Burrito - chicken, corn, beans, salsa
or
some sort of pasta disaster
Hot Cross bun with jam

Not a lot of science has gone into this, just copied something off the interwebs.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Get some brown rice in that mix. Use natural yoghurt and fruit rather than strawberry yoghurt. Add some seeds to that, especially chia as it has some anti-inflmatory properties (supposedly).

pinnin

Likes Dirt
Disclaimer: I know everyone is different, and you should work out what works for you...

Here is a snapshot of my pre-race diet (4 Peaks Challenges, 3 Half Ironmans, 1 Full Ironman):
Week leading up to:
- I don't take too seriously, taper week the load is low and I just eat whatever whenever I feel like I need it.
- Strictly no alcohol.
- Stay hydrated.
- I drink coffee so I try and reduce the amount I'm having each day (they reckon that caffeine in energy gels is better received if you reduce your tolerance)

2 days prior start to consume complex carbs, increase sodium intake, stay hydrated to build glycogen levels. start to consume hydration specific drinks (work supplies suger freee "sqwincher" and I dead set love it).

Day prior:
Breaky - doesn't matter, as long as it has eggs. Usually find a café that does a mean smashed avo, get a side of bacon.
Snack throughout the day, always have fluids on hand
Lunch - Here is where I start getting serious. This is where I have the quintessential "carb load". get a big pasta, something with a bit of chicken in it.
The reason that lunch is the big meal is so you don't load up your gut with a huge meal before bed and have to worry about having to shit mid race
Dinner:
- 1 tub of yoghurt (usually probiotic)
- 1 banana
- 1 bottle of powerade Ion4 (has more of the magnesium, etc.)
- Pretzels (sodium)
- Peanut Butter (dip the pretzels in it)

Morning of: - same as dinner minus pretzels and peanut butter.

Race nutrition is a whole next level....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Your pre-date dinner is a lot like my pre-brazilian BBQ breakfast...but instead of peanut butter it is fibre. Lots of fibre! Also water for hydration rather than energy juice.

safreek

The Bobbo aproacheth, and this time I thought I'd put some thought into my pre ride diet.

The ride is a road ride 105kms long, 1500m of climbing. Its no three peaks but its a challenging ride for me. I know what works for me on the bike but this time I'll try some carb loading before the race beyond scarfing down a big spag bol the night before. Previous times have been 4:44 and 5:17 (sick) this time was hoping for sub 4, I think sub 4:15 will leave me content.

So starting today, for three days this is what I'm gonna eat per day (or something like it). I don't think I can actually eat this much food but I'll give it a crack. This should give me about 500+ grams of carbs a day. Also drink 2 litres of water a day which I do any way.

Starting weight 79kgs @ 180cm.

Brekky
Bagel with strawberry jam
Fruit Juice
Strawberry Yoghurt

Morning Snack
2 Oat slices
250ml Gatorade

Lunch
Baked potato with salsa
Oatmeal cookie
Choccy milk (#winning)
Bread roll

Arvo snack
Clif Bar
250 ml Gatorade

Dinner
Burrito - chicken, corn, beans, salsa
or
some sort of pasta disaster
Hot Cross bun with jam

Not a lot of science has gone into this, just copied something off the interwebs.
that's breakfast and half of.lunch.
How the fuck can you guys be so fast on a bike but eat so little. Good luck on your race, I have nothing to offer as I ingest loads of protein

link1896

Mr Greenfield
that's breakfast and half of.lunch.
How the fuck can you guys be so fast on a bike but eat so little. Good luck on your race, I have nothing to offer as I ingest loads of protein
What's your protein intake and lean body mass?

safreek

What's your protein intake and lean body mass?
Protein in my meals would be
First in the morn is 30g proto shake
Hour or so later about 300ml of milk with cereal, 250ish gram yogurt,
Hour or so later 2-3 eggs and a couple hundred gms of meat,
Round 11- 11.30 proto shake or slow cooked stew, 200gms ish meat, 2 o'clock 300 gms ish chicken, or fish.
5-5.30 proto shake, dinner at about 8ish round 3-400gm flesh of some kind, tonight pork. Usually proto shake before bed
Prob more protein than needed but.I have always eaten more carnivore than herbivore diet
Not sure of lean body mass but I assume my diet isn't fattening me too much as my shirt size has increased from large to xxl but are long and tentlike at the bottom, pantsize has not increased with the 18kg gain over a year and a quarter.
It just amazes me that some of you blokes have the energy and muscle power combined with high carbing
. please don't think I'm being critical, I'm not, when I tried more carbs and less protein I found my energy levels sucked.
Different things power different people in different ways, fuck me I once knew a vegetarian who was healthy, go figure

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Round 11- 11.30 proto shake or slow cooked stew, 200gms ish meat, 2 o'clock 300 gms ish chicken, or fish.
5-5.30 proto shake, dinner at about 8ish round 3-400gm flesh of some kind, tonight pork. Usually proto shake before bed
Prob more protein than needed but.I have always eaten more carnivore than herbivore diet
Not sure of lean body mass but I assume my diet isn't fattening me too much as my shirt size has increased from large to xxl but are long and tentlike at the bottom, pantsize has not increased with the 18kg gain over a year and a quarter.
It just amazes me that some of you blokes have the energy and muscle power combined with high carbing
. please don't think I'm being critical, I'm not, when I tried more carbs and less protein I found my energy levels sucked.
Different things power different people in different ways, fuck me I once knew a vegetarian who was healthy, go figure
That's just asking for bowel cancer.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Carbs and sugars for racing, protein for muscle recovery.

Protein on raceday will not digest very well or give much in the way of energy. Your body uses glycogen in the muscles which is topped up with carbohydrates. Complex carbs the day before and 2-3 hrs before your race. And simple carbs during. Working at low intensities you will be burning more fat but as the intensity increases the more the muscles are going to work into those glycogen stores.

You should also be thinking of electrolyte replenishment during the workout as sweating lowers your sodium levels and therefore how much water your intestines can absorb. Your Powerades and Gatorades use sodium chloride which can cause some gastric distress as your body doesn't need the chloride. Try to find a mix that has sodium minus the chloride.

As for carb intake, aim for 5-7g per kg of body mass

Majin

Likes Dirt
PRO should be about 1gram/ pound of body weight, or a little over, according to the research.
To properly carb load you actually need to be depleted for over a day. As its a compensation mechanism. Your msucles also have to have little to no glycogen left.
Increase your salt(and electrolytes) and water intakes as well. Other things such as L-Carnitine can also help free up some fat stores, but you wouldn't take that out riding.

If it were me, id be aiming for a high-Fat meal in the morning. Which about 30g PRO and 30-50g CHO as well.Id have a steak or some form of beef.
Then from there not going crazy with the High GI carbs before, there more for intra ride. Something like potatoes and some forms of rice ( i like white as it digests better), Pasta is also good.
Then during the ride id use a very fast digesting carbohydrate, such as a Cyclic Dextrin. 25-50g/ hour depending on BW. ( i use about 50g and im 93 ish KGs). Only for rides or cardio that exceeds 2 hours.

Safreek i completly agree with you as Carbs me sluggish as well.

The Bobbo has been run and won.

Conclusion: the extra carbs may not have made me much faster, but I certainly don't feel as crap at the end like I usually do. I'd do it again.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good stuff! At the end of the day, everyone's bodies are different and react a little differently to certain fuel types. But at the end of the day carbs are what replenish our Glycogen stores and that's what your muscles are burning the closer to and over your threshold your're riding. Experimentation is the only way you're going to figure out what works for you.

I’m a kilo lighter this morning than my usual weight and recovered well enough to manage a 90 min surf this morning (easy conditions).

No cramps, no aches, only a little leg weariness.

Maybe a combination with the conditioning I did, there are still some structural things to sort but I’m pretty happy.

John U

MTB Precision
The Bobbo has been run and won.

Conclusion: the extra carbs may not have made me much faster, but I certainly don't feel as crap at the end like I usually do. I'd do it again.
A bit of science. As a type 1 diabetic with a machine that now constantly monitors by blood sugar levels I’ve found that
- after commuting 70k round trip
- I need to reduce my night time insulin by about 30% on the day I ride and the day following
I assume this reduction is due to depleted glucose stores.
I was pretty surprised by the fact that the impact lasted for 2 days for a mid distance ride. Was always under the impression that that length of ride would be accounted for by the carbs intake on the night of the ride.