ROAD cargo bike for my kid or an esky

roofguy

Likes Dirt
Heres my mostly finished Larry v Harry Bullitt copy that I welded up with some steel I had in the shed and various other bits supplied from members on this site (thanks to those members).

Its a giggle to ride, but after 3 days on it riding my "normal" ride was a shock, nearly had to re-learn!!

slowmick

38-39"
that's very cool bloke. should freak out just the right number of people if you commute on it. please keep the pictures coming :thumb:

Switch

huskier headed gent
I have been waiting for your PYR thread on this one after the extra long brake cable search. Very cool, looking forward to seeing it evolve especially with a fully loaded esky on the front.

roofguy

Likes Dirt
jig

Awesome, well done. Did you set it up on a jig to get everything aligned ?
I've got a home made motorcycle bench that I figure is pretty square so mostly it was built on that. The welding did end up tweaking the alignment once done (heating and cooling) but overall I'm pretty stoked with the outcome.

It was wierd to ride my 26 inch wheeled commuter today after 3 days on the cargo bike (which is called dave), I nearly crashed in the driveway. Also riding one handed takes a little planning on Dave and no hands is a bit freaky at the moment. Even grabbing a water bottle needs a little thought before attemping.

I've read that people who have tried or even bought the bullitt that mine is based on have taken a few weeks to get comfortable so I think this difference is normal with these bikes. Once finished I reckon it will be a car crunching 25kg all up but its fine to ride. The alloy bullitt normally from their site is about 22.3 so I'll take it considering mines a combo of mild and stainless steel.

I plan to powdercoat it clear so all the welds can be seen. Got to weld on some square stock to mount either a wooden box holding a seat for my toddler or even the esky. I'm actually after a used booster seat so that I can get it re-trimmed in race car seat material (depending on cost) and a metal buckle (for looks) that I've had for years and never used.

If someone if Melb wants a ride I'm based in NE suburbs so drop by and have a go.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I would be hugely proud to have built something like that. Tops stuff, more pics indeed!

roofguy

Likes Dirt
I have been waiting for your PYR thread on this one after the extra long brake cable search. Very cool, looking forward to seeing it evolve especially with a fully loaded esky on the front.
Only issue with the esky will be the drink driving issue!! I had a stupid (but not gone) idea put on motorcycle leathers and take it for a run down mount hotham..... It'll probably end badly. :twitch:

roofguy

Likes Dirt
I would be hugely proud to have built something like that. Tops stuff, more pics indeed!
Thanks. I've done a couple of custom motos but you always end up with the issue of RWC/legality etc. Finally I've done a pushie frame (which doesn't obviously need a RWC) and I'm pretty happy. I figure if I ride to work with a smile on my face and good laugh its a win. A few kids have expressed "look at that" or "what is that" as I've gone past.

I plan on making a proper frame jig from extrusions in the future for normal frames so I can mod one I have and make another. For no other reason than I would enjoy it, and riding a bike with a frame I built, wheels I assembled etc is a kick.

roofguy

Likes Dirt
more pics.

The frame or whats left of it I found on the side of the road missing a front wheel. Its about a 21~22 inch mtn 26 frame that was importantly steel. I removed the main tube and welded in a horizontal one and buggered the B/B in the process (always remove before welding idiot). All the bends I either had or I sourced pre-bent as bending them requires quite a serious machine and cutting and welding wouldn't have got the result I was after. I had to weld on a rear disc mount (still after a 160mm adaptor that I need to replace) then using pics and dimensions from the net I moved foward to the front wheel. The fork is one I got from chainreaction as it was the cheapest that I could find and the front wheel is just a shimano hub and sun ringle rim that looked strong that I assembled at home. The steerer is a 28.6mm tube that a local steel supplier had and I've just used a 0 degree 80mm stem at the bottom and attach the steering arm too. I can attach more pics of these parts if wanted as I may help to make sense of what is done here. Let me know if there is any specific pis people are after.

I've still go to sort the stand which I'm in the process of building so with that and the square stock its probably getting close to getting clear coated. The clear coating give s a darker clear look, similar to if it was wet, and I think will be pretty cool. I do hope after all this that my toddler will like to ride in it. Otherwise it may be a bit hard to sell to my wife.......

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Looks awesome. I can appreciate it's very rewarding building such a creation. How is the fork retained in the headset?

roofguy

Likes Dirt
Looks awesome. I can appreciate it's very rewarding building such a creation. How is the fork retained in the headset?
I've used a "the pig" headset in the normal way then at the moment just and short spacer with a starnut and M6 bolt on top. I have to sort a clamp of some sort for this or even a short stem but polished silver ones are un-common from what I can see. I may even use some stainless tube I still have thats the correct size and weld on some kind of clamp system. I really want to keep the colours pretty similar with the steel/polished alloy with minimal colour changes and I think it flows better. These may be all kind of "wanker" thoughts but for me welding/metalwork is art so it matters. Each to there own.:amen:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Its a giggle to ride, but after 3 days on it riding my "normal" ride was a shock, nearly had to re-learn!!
You're damn skippy you need to relearn :tsk:

Looks good though, can you fit a kid and an esky on? Make fishing a cold beverage out, mid ride, a hellava lot more convenient.

Looks to have nice short stays. Must be a dream to manual.

#twofingerbrakersneedslapping
#hashtag

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
This is awesome, great work Roofguy.

I commute to work on the M7 cycleway in Sydney. Regularly I pass a guy who has exactly the bike you just built. It carries two children in front with a good canopy to shelter them. The shelter is necessary as he does it year round so cold weather would be a big consideration.

I love seeing him and have been tempted to turn around to go chat with him about his bike/commute story.