Caution, for when packing backpacks with tools

Flow-Rider

Burner
I came across an article on FB about Eddy King, a BMX pro that has good reason to think a shockpump handle in his backpack contributed to spinal injuries after an OTB event. Very sadly he is paralyzed from the waist down, it makes you think how things can go wrong and what if I done this or that. The full story is on the link below for those of you that are interested.
http://www.bicycling.com/training/health-injuries/pack-wisely-save-your-spine?adbid=592659563666665472&adbpl=tw&adbpr=17900130&cid=social_20150427_44643426&short_code=2vnyz
Capture44.jpg

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Yep, the amount of roadies I see (and some MTBrs) with tyre levers and pumps/CO2 in their jersey pocket amazes me.

I usually have an array of frame attachments and saddle bag. When I have to pack a bladder I make sure the bladder is on the inside between the bag and spine. the only hard objects that go in the bag are tube (with valve coiled inside) tyre lever, phone, wallet, keys and multitool all placed in the small sleeves inside the bag so as to avoid as much as possible any damage when falling on it.

It's not just spine but could do serious damage to organs (kidney etc.). Be safe out there guys.

moorey

call me Mia
Ffs. We are doing something inherently dangerous. One freak accident, however tragic, and you're all starting to sound like nannas. If you're worried about something like this, sell your bikes and take up knitting.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ffs. We are doing something inherently dangerous. One freak accident, however tragic, and you're all starting to sound like nannas. If you're worried about something like this, sell your bikes and take up knitting.
Try two freak accidents, if you care to read the story. A doctor had an OTB with a water bottle in his jersey and resulted in T11/T12 fracture.

moorey

call me Mia
Try two freak accidents, if you care to read the story. A doctor had an OTB with a water bottle in his jersey and resulted in T11/T12 fracture.
Oh, Ffs. Just stop riding. It's the only way to be safe...other than being a pedestrian, who are never knocked down, a driver, who never crash, an airline passenger, who never die...... Don't have a shower, go for a swim, or eat nuts either.

camoshop

Banned
Have you seen how sharp knitting needles are, you could take an eye out with those things.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
So knee pads and elbow pads, heck even armor is fine, but tell paying attention to how you pack your bag and we might as well knit?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My first ever camelbak saved me after an otb. Destroyed the bladder, I walked away wet but unscathed.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
While I have a lot of sympathy for the dude with the spinal cord injury, anecdote does not equal evidence. He could very well have sustained EXACTLY the same injury without anything on his back. There have been many, many examples of people sustaining back injuries with nothing in their jersey pockets/backpacks.

When you lot at the terrain we ride on, rocks and roots all over the ground, surrounded by trees, let alone the bike we could land on, the risk posed by a pump in camelback is not that significant.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
When you lot at the terrain we ride on, rocks and roots all over the ground, surrounded by trees, let alone the bike we could land on, the risk posed by a pump in camelback is not that significant.
What he said ^^^^^

+ My chances of dying without my camelback out on a summer days ride is higher than dying from the potential injury cause but the camel back itself.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Bloody oath, last thing I want is a dildo shaped dent in my spine. Plus platform stiletto spds are hard to come by.