Chain failure advice ?

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
I'll happily ride into the wilderness with you, my bandage carrying friend.

I'll carry the tools.

And in reply to the OP problem, quick links save the day. Replacing a pin with a pin is a gamble based on so many variables.

Have the chains been shortened by the shop and repinned?

I'd only ever shorten a chain and use a quick link to rejoin.
As previously stated....new bike $6500, less than 400ks (when chain broke) lube every 2hrs, No wet/mud riding.
No shifting under load, rider has 25yr old granddaughter.
= SHIT CHAIN !!

Attachments

stirk

Burner
As previously stated....new bike $6500, less than 400ks (when chain broke) lube every 2hrs, No wet/mud riding.
No shifting under load, rider has 25yr old granddaughter.
= SHIT CHAIN !!
The above variables mean nothing.

The KMC chain on my bike gets more abuse than a chain in a BDSM dungeon and it's still working.

Buy a new bike, a good bike, not a Scott with a SRAM chain.

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
The above variables mean nothing.

The KMC chain on my bike gets more abuse than a chain in a BDSM dungeon and it's still working.

Buy a new bike, a good bike, not a Scott with a SRAM chain.
"The above variables mean nothing"...….....they do to the experienced.
"KMC chain"...………….they also fail (admittedly after 2500ks & plates pulled of pins, not broken)
"Buy a good bike"...….some bikes are bought to ride, others primarily to park at coffee shops....& I'm fine with that.
However, I buy mine to ride...…

Attachments

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Suspect the bar ends weigh more than the multitool and quick link he refuses to carry.

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
Found the problem.... Bar ends! :p
Yep, I'm SORTA with you on that.....& no doubt the 'clever ones' will beg to differ, HOWEVER,
The bars are on the bikes BECAUSE it makes it a whole lot easier to throw the bikes up on the ute & then hang onto them while I climb up on the back.....& I'm not in a 'carpark' when loading....& I'm stuffed after riding for a 2-3 hrs.
And I've found they come in handy at times on the really steep lose shit as you can get further forward to keep the front wheel on the ground with your arse still on the seat to stop rear wheelspin....SO THE BASTARDS ARE STAY'N RIGHT WHERE THEY ARE !! :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
Suspect the bar ends weigh more than the multitool and quick link he refuses to carry.
"refuses to carry"...…...that's actually quite funny
I guess you (like others) have at no time actually considered asking me why I "refuse to carry"...…………......….nope !!

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
The photo above is at a 25k singletrack which I scratched out (solo) over 2-3yrs worth of Saturdays. It is about 5ks from my home & nowhere on the track is further than 2ks from my ute. The majority of it would be within 1.5ks. SO, why the F#%K would I be lugging around a bag full of shit that I was never going to use......JESUS CHRIST !!
I do ride in other places (more remote) & I could easily explain why I 'ride light' there as well.
More than happy to at any time but don't wish to bore people to death....probably already have...besides, my dinner's ready !!
OBVIOUSLY, when I'm away somewhere far from home deep in the bush in unfamiliar territory I'll have the kitbag.

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
@Stringybark jebus mate chill out, lots of jokes to be had such as a light heated dig at the bar ends, roll with it or break your chain and walk.
Don't worry I'm chilled....didn't you notice the :) on my bar end explanation post.
I'm all for the good humoured posts & at the same time happy to respond to any snaky ones.
AND I'm still waiting for a 'good bike' recommendation ?