Chain Guide

wombat

Lives in a hole
I know! I'm still in shock! What sort of files will Rhino deal with? Would it be possible to draw up a dxf file or someting in another program and then import it to rhino to render it?

belly_up

Likes Dirt
according to rhino, these are the file types it can import. Bear in mind that the pics i posted above were rendered by the Flamingo addon for Rhino. I'm not sure what file types it handles.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Cool. At worst you could probably import a file and then resave it as a rhino file, which i presume flamingo would work with.

Brett

Likes Dirt
I so have to cheak out this flamingo add on. can I download an it or an evaluation version anywhere ?

Ghost

Likes Dirt
Pretty slick dude. It looks to me like a cross between an e13 and the top cage from some Blackspire guides (though not as long and a little more forgiving).

You got mad rendering skills man! :wink:

Brett

Likes Dirt
here's the finished thing (you guys are probably getting bored looking at the same chain guide three times anyway)

hope you like

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats sweet Brett. Are you gonna have some made ? If so, how thick is your boomerang ?

I ask because i have made a coupla guides myself and bought the boomerangs from DHrings.com but they are only 3mm thick and i find them to be a bit flexy. Socket also has one so he may have an opinion on this too.
In my opinion 4mm would be much better, but even better still would be something thats 5-6mm thick near the BB and a bit thinner out at the rollers.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That finished one looks wicked, i'd definately buy one.
How thick would the boomerang and bash plate be???

Also, would that top guide plate be metal or some sort of polymer (eg. plastic)??

Brett

Likes Dirt
Gutty, where did you get the plastic bash ring machined ? getting that done would be the only thing i'd have trouble with.

I might look into making one soon, have to work out some proper dimensions first see how things go.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Brett said:
Gutty, where did you get the plastic bash ring machined ? getting that done would be the only thing i'd have trouble with.

I might look into making one soon, have to work out some proper dimensions first see how things go.

My bussiness: www.anchorplastics.com.au should answer your question.

Brett

Likes Dirt
soooo.....gutty what would you need to machine the bash ring ? eg: CAD files or CAM files ? and how much would I be looking at ?

some of the stuff you've machined looks awsome, nice work.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hahahaha, i was waiting for this. Don't feel bad though, since first showing my stuff i have had dozens of emails from complete strangers asking me to make em stuff. Sorry but i generally don't do requests because a) i have more important stuff for my machine to be doing. b) if i do stuff for one person alot more then want stuff done too. c) i'm currently having trouble getting 12mm Lexan scrap and i don't feel like forking out for a whole sheet at around $500. and d) i hate spending my weekends at work.
thats not to say i'll never do it for you, i just can't do it right now. I have a few "orders" for bashrings for friends at the moment. When i finally get around to doing them i'll do yours if you haven't already had it made.

To answer your questions though, yeah, i would need a CAD file if you want it exactly as you've drawn it. price would be as little as possible. Basicllly material plus shipping plus a can or 2 of VB.

Please don't think i'm being an ass. I just have these damn responsibilities that have higher priority than bike parts.

To all: Keep an eye out for a custom part comp i'll do some time in the near future(with the permission of the Farkin gods of course).

stylinruss

Likes Dirt
Don't be fooled, Rhyno is good for generating concepts fairly quickly, but you can't do much with the files. It is just not accurate enough and you can't go back and redefine stuff easily. Flamingo is ok but there are way better rendering packages that you can use with files from a proper 3d modeler like ProE.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
chain guide looks good
pretty much its gonna do its job

just a quick question
what size chain ring have you got drawn there?

the roller and top box guide look small compared
to the chainring
it just sort looks out of proporption

(i know they are the right size for a chain)

bazza

look at me
mmm

i want a chainguide. i have no chainguide. i am currently running the bashring and two other ring system. its ok. works. thats about it. still dropping the chain a lot. i was thinking of getting an aerial soon. or getting a boomerang made up. either way i need one pretty soon. my rear wheel just decided to die so what money i had for it is now gone. my poor stinky. oh well i wish i had that system. it looks damnnnnnn nice. and hands together for going to all that effort. looks great.