Chain reaction cycles

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe not at the moment, there will be a lag on price increase here since that stock would have been bought at a cheaper price.
Yeah, nah, good luck with that.
It is an economic possibility that importers have secured upcoming products while the dollar was stronger. But...that chance of importers and retailers passing that through to consumers is lower than I'd like.

Ideate

Maybe not at the moment, there will be a lag on price increase here since that stock would have been bought at a cheaper price.
Well.. isn't it a shame that no one actually stocks anything you actually want! Since we don't make anything here, the costs will simply continue to trickle down. The only way to level it up will be to bring in that import tax on everything over $20 or whatever. That will suck the biggest. Hairiest. Ballz. Ever.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It is an economic possibility that importers have secured upcoming products while the dollar was stronger. But...that chance of importers and retailers passing that through to consumers is lower than I'd like.
Why would the importer lower their current pricing?

They charged "x" with a good Aussie dollar - why would they charge "x minus" now the $AUD has tanked?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The Aussie to Yen hasn't changed that much- shimano would probably deal in yen.

The yuan however has shadowed the USD - so, it depends..... ;)

Ackland

chats d'élevage

Very unlikely.

The world commodity market is in USD and converted to local currency for retail

scblack

Leucocholic
Very unlikely.

True, but bike parts are not a commodity. That would simply depend on how Shimano manages their inter-company transactions.

You are probably right it could very well be sold in USD, especially if the product is being shipped from China or Taiwan.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Very unlikely.

What makes you think that?

Euro companies will use euros internally, Australian companies, Australian.

Have a look at currency turnovers - hell, look at the gold price, it hasn't tanked, the USD has risen strongly. The USD is currently as strong as the Aussie was 3 years ago, so you get ostensibly falling commodity prices because they are falling PLUS they are domiciled in USD.

The world is far more complex than the average finance journalist can comprehend let alone explain in a 2 minute presentation to camera... ;)

Scblack might occasionally get to shine the shoes of those that have a good understanding

;)

scblack

Leucocholic
What makes you think that?

Euro companies will use euros internally, Australian companies, Australian.

Have a look at currency turnovers - hell, look at the gold price, it hasn't tanked, the USD has risen strongly. The USD is currently as strong as the Aussie was 3 years ago, so you get ostensibly falling commodity prices because they are falling PLUS they are domiciled in USD.

The world is far more complex than the average finance journalist can comprehend let alone explain in a 2 minute presentation to camera... ;)

Scblack might occasionally get to shine the shoes of those that have a good understanding

;)
Only an idiot would profess to know everything that's going on in financial markets. There's just a gazillion factors at play.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Why would the importer lower their current pricing?

They charged "x" with a good Aussie dollar - why would they charge "x minus" now the $AUD has tanked?
Some importers would have purchased their coming season stock months ago...while the dollar was stronger than it is now. So they would have effectively paid less for the product, despite the dollars current or future strength.

I am pretty sure that shimano import shimano to Australia themselves...they cut the middle man out years ago, but prices barely reflected any savings they potentially made.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Some importers would have purchased their coming season stock months ago...while the dollar was stronger than it is now. So they would have effectively paid less for the product, despite the dollars current or future strength.
Sure. That's not my point though.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Was so happy that my package arrived in 3.5 days with DHL. Insane delivery time!

And then I tried on the race face knee pads to find that they were 1.5 sizes too small. Double checked again my measurements vs the race face ones, wait; it doesn't match the measurements on CRC. Freeking CRC's sizing chart is different to race faces for that product.
Ergh.

slowmick

38-39"
Ordered some goodies from Chain reaction and wiggle on the same day - both with free fright. Expected the wiggle shipment first.

Both ordered sat Aug 29 - both arrived in Melbourne and cleared customs Wednesday 9th Sept, Chain reaction delivered Monday 14th September. Wiggle still driving around Melbourne. It has left the depot 4 times but not been delivered.

Only difference on this order was i took up Wiggles offer to try ParcelPoint for free. They collection point is out the front of my factory so i thought it would be easy to get it delivered there.

Maybe steer clear of PacelPoint for your Wiggle goodies for a while. They are making Australia Post look Awesome.:tsk:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ordered something 28th Aug, delivered on the 9th Sept. Wish I'd remember to order things at the start of the week so its ready for the next possible weekend.

rowanr

Likes Dirt
I've been using them for 10 years and never had a problem. I bought a Saint 10 speed drivetrain from them on Monday at 1pm and it was posted same day at 11pm. I chose free postage as I was going away for a week anyway, but it got to Sydney about 4 days later. Knowing Auspost it will take about 2 weeks to now get to Darwin though...