chains

bazza

look at me
sorry to make a homo topic like this but i am wondering whats a good well priced heavy duty chain, im sick of breaking my hg chain, this is my 2nd one and its falling apart after replacing it about 2 months ago! not good. so i would like a chain, how heavy duty it is and the price in your replys please. or any good sugestions.

John U

MTB Precision
i had the same problem a while ago with a shimano chain. try SRAM chains. prices are similar or less i think than shimano and sizes are the same. never had a problem with breaking the SRAM chain.

lotec

Banned
or get a frame with a g-box and run a moto chain :p just a thought at least you wouldnt break it :roll:

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok a while ago i ent thru a real chain snaping couple of months ago (7 cahins in 4 months..) i found the sram chains to be the strongest the connex wipperman lasted me like a week and a half...

CHEWY

Eats Squid
have you been seperating the HG or taking links out and just putting it back together using the same pin? your supposed to buy a special joining pin to put them back together...
although ive taken mine apart a heap of times without using the joining pin and hav'nt had a problem

bazza

look at me
well it looks like im going to go pick up a sram chain then. it has snapped in two differnt places, not the same! in under 3 rides. so i think its time for a new chain. the same thing happened to my old one and i just kept on putting new links in it after i destroyed the old, it was a polka dot chain. but this one strains a lot as well, as in you can feel the stress in the chain as you crank it hard. i have also gotta fix up my gears as well, anyone want to give me a guide with pics to doing this....i have a good idea and ajusted it a few times but wouldnt mind other peoples methods/ways of approaching it.

wombat

Lives in a hole
The Sedis (SRAM) chains are very nice, but even stronger are the Wipperman ones, I'm pretty sure they're a bit more than $30 thoug. I'm running one of the stronger KMC 8 speed chains though and it's been great, can't remember model number though.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
If you're running an HG chain, then pretty much any other brand will be stronger. Check out the Sachs and Wippermann chains. If you're still breaking them, Wippermann make a full stainless steel version. Over $100 but well worth it. I managed to wear out a Shitano Dura-ace cassette, and the chain is only half worn :shock:
and no it wasn't the ti cogs either!

ride_hard199

Likes Dirt
bahahahhaha
that was funny as fuck today you were struggling to fix your chain ....
good thing i was there .....
i have had to fix your chain twice for you :roll:
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bazza

look at me
hahaha just because im slow.......i would of got it done eventually!!! :p yer looks like a sram chain is in order.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
brodes said:
get a shimano dura ace. so far no probs nice and strong
hardly strong, mine lasted 4 rides.
sram all the way, but maybe one of those steel chains would be sweet

wombat

Lives in a hole
brodes said:
get a shimano dura ace. so far no probs nice and strong
I'd have to disagree. Nice shifting chains, but severly lacking in the strength department, all of Shimano's chains are.