Cheap Stem 31.8 x 40mm or 50mm

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Item: 40mm or 50mm x 31.8mm Stem
Item Condition: Working condition, but scratches and damaged paint doesn't matter.
Reason for wanting: Experiments
Price and price conditions: up to around $25 inc postage

I am just experimenting with the stem length on my sons bike which need to be quite small because he is still small.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Heya Mog,
Long time no see. Hope you're doing well mate ;)

If you're just playing around with stems, you're welcome to borrow a 50mm Loaded Stem I've got sitting around. I can't really sell it to you for $25, too cheap, but if you want to "borrow" it until you figure out if it works and what stem you want to get, let me know.

Hell, it'll even give me a good excuse to get up a ride Scribblies for the first time in a aeon!

It looks like this (the green one): http://www.loadedusa.com/products/stems/amx-(trail,-fr,-dh,-dj)/

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heya Mog,
Long time no see. Hope you're doing well mate ;)

If you're just playing around with stems, you're welcome to borrow a 50mm Loaded Stem I've got sitting around. I can't really sell it to you for $25, too cheap, but if you want to "borrow" it until you figure out if it works and what stem you want to get, let me know.

Hell, it'll even give me a good excuse to get up a ride Scribblies for the first time in a aeon!

It looks like this (the green one): http://www.loadedusa.com/products/stems/amx-(trail,-fr,-dh,-dj)/
Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. However it is for my sons bike and it is made from all the remnants and leftovers of the last 10 years of riding so that he can be a 10 year old boy with it... that is he will be trashing it so I wouldn't want to get something nice of yours all scratched up plus whatever other damage a small boy can do to it.

Really I don't think you need an excuse for a scribblies ride? Always worth a trip or do a road trip Glenbrook, Scribs, Blackheath.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
eBay mate.

Uno stems are about $25 delivered. They are made by Kalloy who has been around ages making OEM stems . I run one coz it was cheap and light.

Incidentally, go for a +- 6o stem - when it's flipped down it extends the cockpit by about 10mm so you get 2 cockpit sizes for the price of one stem

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So the UNO ones are ok?

I am a little paranoid about stem failure after having a stem fail on me once while descending.

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
I've got a no name silver one around 50 mm or a Kore 60 mm one you can have for cost of postage. Haven't managed to put together my garage sale thread yet.
8 - Stems.jpg

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
So the UNO ones are ok?

I am a little paranoid about stem failure after having a stem fail on me once while descending.
Only done a thousand kms on it so far. It's a pretty simple device, it does have specific instructions for how to install though, that many males would fail to read.

if I'd had a stem catastrophically fail from any brand , I'd probably buy the heaviest shortest one I could find - but been as well I haven't nor seen one, I'm pretty comfortable in my XC world that stems are about the simplest to manufacture parts that go on bikes ever. ( unless you are one of the companies that seek make it difficult by CNCing them)

SummitFever

Eats Squid
My daughter uses one of those 60mm UNO stems on her medium sized Anthem. I've taken it for the odd "test" ride and it feels nice and stiff. She's not afraid to get some air either, so chances are the UNO will be fine for your boy. There are, however, a bunch of different varieties. This is the one we got:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the feedback... seems my son wants 50mm, based on absolutely nothing, so will give one of the UNO ones a go.