Cheapskate Tech Tips

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was investigating Shimano bleed kits and was horrified at the $150+ price. Ended up buying a basic kit, with a bottle of fluid and tube, for $25.
Had a dig in the medicine cabinet and found a syringe that fitted the tube perfectly.
Fashioned an overflow bottle out of a small tupperware container, and with a little care, worked perfectly!!
I brought the same $25 bleed kit, but I use the regular shimano bleeding method...similar to how you would bleed car brakes. Just zip tie a plastic bag to the end of the hose, and keep topping up the resevoir from the top until I'm satisfied with the bleed. (ie press lever, undo bleed nut and do up then let go of lever, cycle until any air is sure to be out of the system)
I think I tried the syringe method once but some air bubbles always seemed to stay near the bottom of the syringe and I didn't like that idea.

rayza

Likes Dirt
wow, there is some really redneck fixes in this thread that i would consider more effort/expense than fixing something properly..
also a few good ones though too.

by the way poeple, bunnings is the cheapest place to buy iso alcohol, and if your LBS know your face at all they should have no problem giving you a bunch of cable finishing crimps for free...

T-Rex

Template denier
A bottle of penetrating threadlocker for your spokes to be used after re-tensioning.

Less than $10, lasts years. Doesn't grip enough to lock, just enough to stop loose nipples. I apply it about 2cm above the nipple, doing each spoke then I spin then crap out of the wheel & let centrifugal force to the rest.
Where do you get that from??? The Lock-Tite equivilent that I use is over $20 for a smaller bottle, which I've just emptied, so I need to get a replacement before the next wheel build.

T-Rex

Template denier
Or you could buy a $3 jet lighter and $2 for solder and solder the end for a super tidy finish.
This is the CHEAPSKATE thread, I've got heaps of rivets lying around that don't cost a cent!! :) And soldering a grotty bit of cable if it's not new will be a real challenge trying to the the solder to stick. Welding would be a better idea.

mudslut

Likes Dirt
At risk of starting a whole new debate, please don't use thread locker on spoke nipples.

And yeah I'd have to agree that tightwadding on end crimps looks like a false economy to me :)

That said, I've glued a few tyres back to life in my time - Seamgrip is your friend there.

T-Rex

Template denier
At risk of starting a whole new debate, please don't use thread locker on spoke nipples.
Interesting.... I've been using it for a couple of years without a problem. Maybe start a new thread so we can debate the merits of different ways of securing nipples to spokes??

BT180

Max Pfaff
Where do you get that from??? The Lock-Tite equivilent that I use is over $20 for a smaller bottle, which I've just emptied, so I need to get a replacement before the next wheel build.
I use this stuff also, but on my rotor bolts. I bought mine from Auto1.

scoobydid

Likes Dirt
Agreed, and the problem with the neoprene ones is that they collect (and hold) heaps of dust, well the one I had did.
If you want to get funky you could cut up and zip tie an old tyre on there, or an old pair of grips. And Electrical Tape doesn't do a bad job either, plus it comes in a multitude of different colours!
I used an old bit of bar tape when I re-wrapped my road bikes handlebars. Looks good and does the job well. Just fixed it on with electrical tape at the ends after wrapping around the chainstay.

fairy1

Banned
This is the CHEAPSKATE thread, I've got heaps of rivets lying around that don't cost a cent!! :) And soldering a grotty bit of cable if it's not new will be a real challenge trying to the the solder to stick. Welding would be a better idea.
Oops silly me I forgot how much Cheaper a TIG welder is than a jet lighter, you can also pull a soldered cable back through the cable outer if you need to clean or lube it.

T-Rex

Template denier
Oops silly me I forgot how much Cheaper a TIG welder is than a jet lighter, you can also pull a soldered cable back through the cable outer if you need to clean or lube it.
Only cheaper if you own a welder but not a jet lighter.... :)

And good point on being able to pull the cable in and out, a definate benefit over crimping. I might give it a go.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like I might consider replacing the electrical tape with solder then, that would have been my argument for using the glue gun, the glue isn't like superglue so could be pulled off if you need to get the cable out again.

Oh my LBS certainly know my face even recognises my voice if I ring them, but they're an hours drive from my place, so yeah.

rayza

Likes Dirt
Looks like I might consider replacing the electrical tape with solder then, that would have been my argument for using the glue gun, the glue isn't like superglue so could be pulled off if you need to get the cable out again.

Oh my LBS certainly know my face even recognises my voice if I ring them, but they're an hours drive from my place, so yeah.
fair enough then pebble. i would recommend your hot glue gun instead of solder, you might have trouble getting the solder to stick with the slick coating/oils on the cable.

dj_14

Likes Dirt
Even cheaper - steal injection swabs from the First Aid box! No need to find a clean rag either :)
even cheaper than this......go to KFC and ask for there after meal wipes, they have Isopropyl Alcahol in them and are free so you dont get in trouble for stealing them!!! perfect to have on a epic ride or are at the skate park and someone spills a drink on your rotor!

tex72

Likes Dirt
This stuff is great for repairing tears in saddles, I have also used it to repair small sidewall tears in otherwise perfectly good tyres(a smear on the inside), and I have even used it on my mtb shoes to prevent the side stitching getting all torn up.

Attachments

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
even cheaper than this......go to KFC and ask for there after meal wipes, they have Isopropyl Alcahol in them and are free so you dont get in trouble for stealing them!!! perfect to have on a epic ride or are at the skate park and someone spills a drink on your rotor!
And as a bonus your bike will smell lovely;)

I have used CO Contact Cleaner in the past, seems to be good stuff if it's in the shed and you don't have any Iso Pro!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Rotors need a clean? Don't spend $20 on a 250ml (incl aerosol gas) can of disc brake cleaner, go to Big W and get a 125ml pump bottle of Isopropyl Alcahol for $6.50.
Even better than that, have a look at this thread from another forum for bulk Iso suppliers...

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=701994

It has a bunch of different places listed in the thread. Page 3 has a great summary of them. If you're in Sydney, I got some from Richard Foot P/L. The warehouse is in Warriewood, and they do 5L for $50. Enough to last forever, and at $10 a litre. I'm pretty sure they do 1L for $20 if you don't want/need 5L.

Also good for removing the sticky residue left by stickers and cleaning the lenses of your favourite goggles/riding glasses.

It's in the automotive section near the turps/kero etc.
Even better than Isopropyl Alcohol for removing sticky residues is Acetone. Available in a 1L (or bigger) from Bunnings. I can't remember the exact price, but oretty damn cheap from Bunnings. You just have to be reasonably careful with Acetone as it can be pretty bad for skin & eyes...

Enjoy the cheap savings!

(BTW, if anyone is in the Bluies and needs a small bit of Iso, let me know ;), as I have a few litres of it! :))

mattyd

Likes Dirt
You can be isopropyl at woolies or coles or any chemist.
It's called isocol has an alligator on it in a green bottle about 8 bucks for 500ml.

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Just be careful with the KFC wipes, they still have an oil in them. That's what makes them smell lovely :)

Get an old tube, cut it around the inside circumference (where the valve is), and then place it inside your tire, then refit with an inflated tube as per usual for a thorn and pinch-flat resistant tire.

And gaffa/electrical tape is a quick fix when you don't have any more patches

mlsred

Likes Dirt
Mine wins hands down, step one work in a bike shop, step two get all the free shit you will ever need for your bike. :D