Chinarello Build (fake Pinarello Build) Completely Finished!

scblack

Leucocholic
Hi guys,
looking for a biut of advise

i just recieved a pina dogma copy from aliexpress.
I already have a 2004 giant tcr c1. On the tcr you can see the 3k carbon weave all the way up the tcr fork which i assume is a good thing as this is what strengthens the steerer i.e the fibres i assume (correct me if i'm wrong).

The thing is i just cut the carbon steerer on the chinarello and i dont seem to see much of any 3k weave at all its more of a dense carbon.
Should i be worried??
Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
simon
Thats fine. In the steerer, there would be very little weave compared to the main part of the fork you see when riding on the bike.

Its no problem.

kavo

Likes Bikes
does anyone know where to get the pina frames (preferably naked) at the moment? I can't find any only a couple on ebay that are 54cm. I need 50cm.

Any help would be appreciated

scblack

Leucocholic
Okay, I basically have got the green light for my Chinarello build to go ahead. Woohoo!

One issue I have is my bottom bracket. I am going to essentially take everything off my current bike and put it on the Chinarello frame. Current bike is a 2007 Cinelli Proxima with Campagnolo Centaur groupset. The bottom bracket is Italian (70mm wide).

The Chinarello frames available are all listed with English (68mm wide bottom brackets).

A bottom bracket costs about $60 from CRC for one that fits Centaur cranks.

BUT there is a choice of the width of the spindle – either 111mm or 115mm. What is the difference between these two? Is the 115mm a spindle for 3 rings, or the other way around? I currently have two rings – 53/39.

OR

I have contacted the manufacturer, and they CAN apparently make the Chinarello with Italian bottom bracket, but with a lead time of up to 45days. This will solve my bottom bracket problem.

So, do I contact manufacturer to fit correct BB, and take the chance that something will be fucked up, due to language barriers or other possible problems?

Or do I just order the frame currently available so no hassles of dealing with chinese website, but costing myself a few dollars for the replacement BB?

Or, do I cost myself even more by going to a Sydney bike shop to replace BB, who has quoted $150 for a replacement BB (no idea if fitting will be extra)? Thereby reducing my issue with spindle width.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I would buy the frame with the English BB shell, and replace the Centaur BB. If you want to upgrade your gruppo in the future, it's a bit more of a common standard now.

scblack

Leucocholic
I reckon I've sorted my question about the bottom bracket issue.

If I buy a BB from an aussie LBs thats $150 plus $50 to fit = $200.

BUT I can buy a carbon Campagnolo Centaur crankset plus power torque outboard BB cups for about $300 from Ribble cycles in UK.

Extra $100 or so for new carbon cranks and a new style BB. No brainer really.:)

brothersempire

Cannon Fodder
Thats fine. In the steerer, there would be very little weave compared to the main part of the fork you see when riding on the bike.

Its no problem.
This is because the structural carbon is known as UD or Uni Directional. It looks odd and has a flow or grain to it, where all the fibers run in one direction (as the name suggests). The weave we're all so used to seeing is merely a cosmetic application that goes over the structural carbon to make it look prettier. The weave typically has far less structural rigidity. An area that is not exposed such as the carbon steerer doesn't require such an aesthetic, hence why it is not there.

Just to clarify the point further.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
Ofcourse not all bbs are carbon, but charging 1 flat rate for every bb installation is unfair to the majority of people who don't require the frame to be faced. Your shop can charge whatever it wants, i'm just saying I wouldn't .

But back to the actual topic, looks like the real thing and that's an insane weight with racing 3s on it. Nice job

Last edited:

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks great.
I'm curious now that you've had it out and about - can the roadie fraternity pick it from the real thing?

(or can't they catch you for a close look :p )

dj_14

Likes Dirt
Looks great.
I'm curious now that you've had it out and about - can the roadie fraternity pick it from the real thing?

(or can't they catch you for a close look :p )
so far no one has spotted the difference and when i tell them its a fake they're like no way that is the real thing.....and then they are very impressed :)