Chinarello new build

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
Oh, and I just received the delivery of the Campagnolo Shamal Ultra wheels.

F*ck me they are nice wheels! Awesome.

The finishing of them is gorgeous, simply superb. They came with two wheel bags. The carbon hubs are works of art, and the rims just look horny.

Now I have to work out how the hell I am going to fit my computer magnet tab in place?:confused: The bladed spokes look like my current magnet has no hope of fitting.
The wheels should have come with a special magnet (a plastic clip, piece of rubber and long(ish) cylindrical magnet).

scblack

Leucocholic
The wheels should have come with a special magnet (a plastic clip, piece of rubber and long(ish) cylindrical magnet).
Aha, thanks! Yes, I think that is in the little bag I have not looked at yet. Still to properly get them all together yet.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and most of the bargins i got arent available anymore or arent in stock, right place right time i guess....
For sure if there is a particularly good bargain and significant saving i will go for it, however this is the best deal i can see on rival at the moment.

scblack

Leucocholic
This question is purely cosmetic. I have carbon bars which have a rough centre section for the stem to clamp to. This is an ugly looking section.

Unfortunately the face plate on my stem has a large opening on the front. So the appearance of a nice carbon bar and stem is ruined by a rough centre section that has 440mm*31.8mm written on it.

I checked with Bike Shed Mortdale and they reckon putting on a single layer of electrical tape is about my only option to hide this.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Bars centre.jpg

dj_14

Likes Dirt
This question is purely cosmetic. I have carbon bars which have a rough centre section for the stem to clamp to. This is an ugly looking section.

Unfortunately the face plate on my stem has a large opening on the front. So the appearance of a nice carbon bar and stem is ruined by a rough centre section that has 440mm*31.8mm written on it.

I checked with Bike Shed Mortdale and they reckon putting on a single layer of electrical tape is about my only option to hide this.

View attachment 203674
what about a different face plate for the stem?

mine is like that just doesnt have the discolouration......

scblack

Leucocholic
Ferrules

I have received my Campagnolo gear cables and casings which includes two gear cables, two brakes cables, plus five ferrules.

Four are the normal flat end ones, like the one on the right of this picture.

One has a protruding end section, the one on the left of this picture. What is this type of ferrule used for? Where is it meant to fit?

Ferrules.jpg

scblack

Leucocholic

View attachment 203674
Problem solved!

I just coloured in all the section with a black Artline permanent marker. Excellent finish, and looks spot on.

Simple solution.:)

scblack

Leucocholic
Chinarello is finished!

Yes, I have put the last items on Chinarello, and think it has come through brilliantly.

Spec list quickly:
  • Campagnolo Centaur groupset - carbon cranks and brake levers
  • Campagnolo Shamal Ultra wheels - carbon hubs
  • Rest is all carbon from various sources.
Total cost comes to $2,550. That includes EVERYTHING except pedals which I already had.

Oh, and total weight comes to 7.2kg as per the Clarence St. Cyclery scales.

Issues - yes there are issues, it's a fairly cheap frame from China.
  • Cable barrel adjusters at top of down tube - this required re-tapping the thread in the lug for both sides.
  • Rear derailleur hanger will require replacing with Pinarello original as it is an inferior metal to the real thing and was unable to be straightened for derailleur without stressing the hanger.
  • Wrong colour was sent from factory. I ordered Silver highlights where the white bits are on the frame. I am not at all fussed as in the flesh its looks better anyway, and they are sending me a Pinarello seat collar clamp for the error (yet to be fitted).
  • Rear brake hole for the main bolt. This was drilled all the way through, so I just used a longer collar housing nut which goes all the way through.
  • Headset top cap was incorrect item with frame, was one for steel steerers, just had to replace it.
So far have only done a carpark ride, running well though.

What do you guys think?

And I have to credit the following for help along my way: Nicho of Rouler Imports for excellent advice; Bike Shed Mortdale for heaps of queries and advice; Clarence St Cyclery service guys who have been brilliant help for me.

100_6375.jpg

100_6394.jpg

100_6402.jpg

100_6386.jpg

Last edited: