Chinarello new build

dj_14

Likes Dirt
Yes, I have put the last items on Chinarello, and think it has come through brilliantly.

Spec list quickly:
  • Campagnolo Centaur groupset - carbon cranks and brake levers
  • Campagnolo Shamal Ultra wheels - carbon hubs
  • Rest is all carbon from various sources.
Total cost comes to $2,550. That includes EVERYTHING except pedals which I already had.

Oh, and total weight comes to 7.2kg as per the Clarence St. Cyclery scales.

Issues - yes there are issues, it's a fairly cheap frame from China.
  • Cable barrel adjusters at top of down tube - this required re-tapping the thread in the lug for both sides.
  • Rear derailleur hanger will require replacing with Pinarello original as it is an inferior metal to the real thing and was unable to be straightened for derailleur without stressing the hanger.
  • Wrong colour was sent from factory. I ordered Silver highlights where the white bits are on the frame. I am not at all fussed as in the flesh its looks better anyway, and they are sending me a Pinarello seat collar clamp for the error (yet to be fitted).
  • Rear brake hole for the main bolt. This was drilled all the way through, so I just used a longer collar housing nut which goes all the way through.
  • Headset top cap was incorrect item with frame, was one for steel steerers, just had to replace it.
So far have only done a carpark ride, running well though.

What do you guys think?

And I have to credit the following for help along my way: Nicho of Rouler Imports for excellent advice; Bike Shed Mortdale for heaps of queries and advice; Clarence St Cyclery service guys who have been brilliant help for me.

View attachment 204710

View attachment 204712

View attachment 204713

View attachment 204711
looks great.

should have got them to wrap the bar tape a bit nicer. its funny that we both payed the same amount. yet have such different bikes. should have gone red pedals or bar tape or even hoods.....

scblack

Leucocholic
looks great.

should have got them to wrap the bar tape a bit nicer. its funny that we both payed the same amount. yet have such different bikes. should have gone red pedals or bar tape or even hoods.....
I wrapped the bar tape on. Right side was first, so left side looks better. With the bladed bars, its f**cking hard to get smoothly around the corner from the hood to the flat section. I tried to get red bar tape but when I went into the shop there was no red available.

Pedals are ones I already had.

No way would I go for red hoods, black there thanks.:)

scblack

Leucocholic
New parts - even though its only a week old!:)

Pinarello seat clamp - freebie from frame seller because of the small colour error.

Red cassette lock-ring - 'cause I can.

I'll put pics up soon.

'Ross

Eats Squid
How did the painting work? They offer it on the side and you request what colour? I think if they had an option to configure your own paint shceme and own decals 'scblackarello' could have had some exciting results.
The fake paint on the fake frame does make my some part of my brand-equity-loving self cringe along the line........but the biggest thing it raises is my skepticism for purchasing modern carbon (branded) stuff over the internet eg if I was to see something like this on ebay going for $4k how could I even know I was buying the real thing, it casts doubt over a lot of things; bars, stems many carbon things can be replicated to a degree that is almost impossible to tell apart.
Lucky for me I'm not in the market for a modern carbon roadie, I would be too scared to buy anything....I wouldn't mind one of the 90's Colnago C40s though:p

scblack

Leucocholic
How did the painting work? They offer it on the side and you request what colour? I think if they had an option to configure your own paint shceme and own decals 'scblackarello' could have had some exciting results.
The fake paint on the fake frame does make my some part of my brand-equity-loving self cringe along the line........but the biggest thing it raises is my skepticism for purchasing modern carbon (branded) stuff over the internet eg if I was to see something like this on ebay going for $4k how could I even know I was buying the real thing, it casts doubt over a lot of things; bars, stems many carbon things can be replicated to a degree that is almost impossible to tell apart.
Lucky for me I'm not in the market for a modern carbon roadie, I would be too scared to buy anything....I wouldn't mind one of the 90's Colnago C40s though:p
The painting is pre-done, there is no customisation. They have about 8 different colour schemes, you just choose your size and colour scheme.

I do agree on the branding pirating issue here. The reason I did go ahead with this method, is the research I did, many people had bought from this seller, and quality seemed to be pretty damn good. It was far from the cheapest, but to have some element of comfort due to other buyers being satisfied was a good thing. Having said that I did not come across any other sellers with any negative stories either, meaning I did not come across any story of any chinarello or chinese made carbon fibre frames experiencing any major failure.

I did plenty of research before I went ahead with this, and there have been no negative experiences with the chinese frames that I could find. The only failure was by someone who had sanded their carbon steerer tube and that failed, but not due to the manufacturer. There has to be some element of risk buying semi blind over the internet. But the cost is so enticing, and now many people have done the same, with small items being the reported issues.

Ultimately the chinese carbon fibre bike manufacturers are now extremely good at what they do. Almost EVERY manufacturer uses them now. I had good comfort buying from them. And having ridden it for a couple of weeks now, it all seems to be going well.

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
I think I worded my post badly...the reason I would be scared to buy modern carbon stuff over the internet is not about safety but because I wouldn't want to pay top dollar for a branded product that is actually a fake! The parts and frames seem to be built to such a visual standard that you can't tell the difference barely at all.

Therefore if I was in the market for a new set of $800 integrated carbon bar and stem, or for a $6000 carbon frame I would always be wondering 'hmmm what if this is just one of those Chinese copies' I think I'd be too scared to pull the trigger and buy that branded product. I wouldn't be surprised if people start building bikes very similar to yours and then trying to re-sell at really high prices 'Barely used Pinarello' etc.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just finished my chinarello, 005 frame from carbon_bicycle eBay from Hong kong. $500 frame,fork,seatpost,seat,stem, bars, plus Record crankset,rear der,chain,shifters and Chorus brakes and front der from ribble at the 30% off sale. Wheels were my old Fulcrum racing Zeros, pedals old Time ones.

Total spend on new bits about $1500, total weight 7.1 kg.

Two rides so far - very nice !

Will get pics up later

scblack

Leucocholic
Just finished my chinarello, 005 frame from carbon_bicycle eBay from Hong kong. $500 frame,fork,seatpost,seat,stem, bars, plus Record crankset,rear der,chain,shifters and Chorus brakes and front der from ribble at the 30% off sale. Wheels were my old Fulcrum racing Zeros, pedals old Time ones.

Total spend on new bits about $1500, total weight 7.1 kg.

Two rides so far - very nice !

Will get pics up later
Sounds great mate, some good parts there. Like to see the pics. I've done 200km on mine, no issues so far, rides excellent!

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
....photo.JPG
Went together very well, no probs with threads or sizes or anything. I got this because I liked the sizing, the TT length and geometry was good for me.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
I've watched a few of these Chinarello builds with interest and me thinks it's time to jump in and do one myself. So the question to you folks that have done it, where would I get a decent TT frame? I've looked at a couple of sites (Deng fu & Cycling Yong) and can only seem to find rather crappy looking very generic TT frames, nothing nice like a TT Chinarello :( Anyone come across anything nice in their travels?

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've watched a few of these Chinarello builds with interest and me thinks it's time to jump in and do one myself. So the question to you folks that have done it, where would I get a decent TT frame? I've looked at a couple of sites (Deng fu & Cycling Yong) and can only seem to find rather crappy looking very generic TT frames, nothing nice like a TT Chinarello :( Anyone come across anything nice in their travels?
Have a look on Road Bike review, there's a huge thread with some nice TT bikes on there.

scblack

Leucocholic
Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-Ne...00560696835?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item45fad04603

How's that look?.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First big ride today, went very well. Bit noodly at the front which I put down to crappo CF stem, will swap out for a Thompson I have (need some mtb parts on it...) which is nice and stiff.

Cf saddle was suprisingly comfy, although it was only 1:45 on the bike.

HLC

Likes Dirt
First big ride today, went very well. Bit noodly at the front which I put down to crappo CF stem, will swap out for a Thompson I have (need some mtb parts on it...) which is nice and stiff.

Cf saddle was suprisingly comfy, although it was only 1:45 on the bike.
I have the same saddle.. had it on an alloy track bike and now a steel track bike. I find it fine and i often spend many hours in the saddle straight!

Damienp

Likes Dirt
scblack,

What size did you end up with???

Looking at grabbing a frame and building it up over the year after i get over Building my Blur LTc.
I got a medium in the blur but am thinking Road bike = more stretched out.

I am 5'9" and of average proportions so with that in mind I would be looking at either a 52 or 54?? Not overly sure about this and wouldn't mind some advice if possible.

Cheers

Damien

scblack

Leucocholic
scblack,

What size did you end up with???

Looking at grabbing a frame and building it up over the year after i get over Building my Blur LTc.
I got a medium in the blur but am thinking Road bike = more stretched out.

I am 5'9" and of average proportions so with that in mind I would be looking at either a 52 or 54?? Not overly sure about this and wouldn't mind some advice if possible.

Cheers

Damien
I got a 54cm size. Sounds like you'd need that size, not a 52cm. I am 5'7" or 171cm and the 54cm suits me. Using a 90mm stem.

Note though that some measurements are different from different manufacturers.