CO2 Cartridge inflators - worth trying?

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also note that they freeze the sealant and kind of ruin it in a tubeless setup. Having said that, I love them and yes the 25g canisters can pop a bead on from scratch.

defy1

Likes Bikes
Co2 are a life saver. Carry two at all times.
Who wants to be pumping like crazy on the side of the road when its cold and rainy and miserable.

scblack

Leucocholic
Hmmm, well I bought 10 canisters and have not had a flat since then. Touch wood. Carry a couple for each ride.

I must think about the canister sleeve, I have just thought I would wrap my gloves around as I don't want frozen fingers.

Beej1

I've wondered about them, but never actually looked into it.

I always thought these were for folk who run tubeless with sealant - but this thread now has one post which mentions it kills the sealant, and several mentioning road bikes.

So is the idea behind them just a quicker way to fill up the replacement tube in both scenarios? (i.e. tubeless MTB tyre and road bike with tubes)

Rossm

Likes Bikes
If you race - great! Time is going to be of concern if your competitive. If not, don't bother. Really - you need to carry a pump anyway (I just don't buy it from those who say they ditched their pump - I've had to lend my pump to people who only had CO2 a few times recently)

Just get a decent pump!! I ride with a backpack & love my Lezyne Micro Floor Drive - only 200g Your CO2 cartidges will run at about 50g each and you will need to carry a few, as well as a small pump, so all up probably more weight than my pump. If racing you might gamble on only carrying 1 cartridge.