Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Because I am a lazy fuck, my Silvia has been running for 8 years with only back flushing and pulling the brass thing and mesh bit out to clean. It's going off for a proper service as it's not pumping as well as it should, went good for a week after the last overdue flush but something is properly fucked now.

I got a Mazzer grinder a year or two ago, it's great, got a hot tip to make sure I clean it more than I have done with the machine ;)
If it's properly fucked (ie the pump and triflow valve are gone) and there's solid rust on it, might be worth trading up to the Lelit Anna PID. Our Anna hasn't missed a beat in 8 years, zero rust and a much bigger catcher tray. Only hiccup is the 57mm portafilter so aftermarket screens and portafilters are harder to get.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Holy fuck, I've really jumped the shark this time.

Just signed up for the kickstarter for this. Youtube video here.
View attachment 399378

Was originally looking to get a DE1 and of course Google puts the much cheaper and more elegant meticulous in my path.
Man I just looked at this and I want one, asking my roasting ex cafe owner buddy what he reckons. It looks like the solved all the problems in a small ultra modern package. Keen for you to get yours and report in.

Oddjob

Going to get a feel for it before doing any mods. I've seen a few neat options, some people say just changing the gicleur (sp?) makes a big difference.
There's a huge following on coffeesnobs for the LMLM, which you are no doubt aware. The pressure profiling mod is done by a service centre in Melbourne. It sounds like it makes the LMLM as good as any Slayer but without the finicky electronics.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
If it's properly fucked (ie the pump and triflow valve are gone) and there's solid rust on it, might be worth trading up to the Lelit Anna PID. Our Anna hasn't missed a beat in 8 years, zero rust and a much bigger catcher tray. Only hiccup is the 57mm portafilter so aftermarket screens and portafilters are harder to get.
Thanks for the tip, I know the servicing contact via a mate will give me an honest assessment so I'll find out soon.

Oddjob

Man I just looked at this and I want one, asking my roasting ex cafe owner buddy what he reckons. It looks like the solved all the problems in a small ultra modern package. Keen for you to get yours and report in.
I am too. The precise control over pressure and heat is amazing. With the right work flow you could pull shots just as quickly as a 3 group commercial machine as well. But it's consistency I'm looking for.

Despite getting proper training and working in a cafe all the way through uni, I just can't nail down consistently good shots these days. Most of my coffees are 75%+ with the odd killer cup, but there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it, even with good premium beans and proper dialling in with a commercial grind on demand grinder.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I am too. The precise control over pressure and heat is amazing. With the right work flow you could pull shots just as quickly as a 3 group commercial machine as well. But it's consistency I'm looking for.

Despite getting proper training and working in a cafe all the way through uni, I just can't nail down consistently good shots these days. Most of my coffees are 75%+ with the odd killer cup, but there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it, even with good premium beans and proper dialling in with a commercial grind on demand grinder.
I am basic and brutal, as long as it was better than instant or plunger I was OK with it but when I get great beans and it all comes together, I still usually fill it with cold milk and stick it in the microwave for 1 min for the laziest flattest of flat whites :D

[hides behind Cafe Bar]

My mate reckons getting the grind right for the extraction equipment is the biggest battle. His beans are always so fresh that they are several notches more coarse than most other coffee I get.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Because I am a lazy fuck, my Silvia has been running for 8 years with only back flushing and pulling the brass thing and mesh bit out to clean. It's going off for a proper service as it's not pumping as well as it should, went good for a week after the last overdue flush but something is properly fucked now.

I got a Mazzer grinder a year or two ago, it's great, got a hot tip to make sure I clean it more than I have done with the machine ;)
My SAB Nobel got its first service in 7 years - hasn't been flushed in that whole time and the only thing it really needed was a grouphead seal - and the only reason I took it in was I couldn't get the screw out to swap it myself. Apparently was nice and clean inside still

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Going to get a feel for it before doing any mods. I've seen a few neat options, some people say just changing the gicleur (sp?) makes a big difference.
0.6mm was always the go on the old Linea, FB70/80 back in the day. Definitely helped. I think I've said it before but having spent a lot of time on a lot of different machines including Slayer, Synesso, KVDW Spirit and Speedster, ModBar, various LMs from Linea Classic and PB to Strada, Black Eagle, manual pressure profiling is basically a crock of shit. You're just introducing an additional variable with unquantifiable (and spurious) benefits that is almost impossible to get consistent anyway.

Go the 0.6mm gicleur to restrict flow a bit so you get a softer ramp up to pressure, but don't waste the money, energy, or coffee on profiling mods.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My SAB Nobel got its first service in 7 years - hasn't been flushed in that whole time and the only thing it really needed was a grouphead seal - and the only reason I took it in was I couldn't get the screw out to swap it myself. Apparently was nice and clean inside still
Quick chat with the coffee machine tech and he thinks it might just be a blockage, but he's got a big machine in pieces so mine will get to him next week.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
manual pressure profiling is basically a crock of shit. You're just introducing an additional variable with unquantifiable (and spurious) benefits that is almost impossible to get consistent anyway.
Many end up trying to replicate a lever profile anyway. Just buy a lever machine and be happy!

(Cabinet heights were pure luck, not good planning)

Oddjob

@Scotty T send a large amount of white vinegar down the system and see if that blows anything out. I've used this trick plenty of times to revive my poorly cared for inexpensive home machine.

Do it @Rorschach . Yolo!
Doesn't that do all sorts of rude things to the copper boiler and brass fittings?