Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope, not this year. I'm only doing one day every few weeks in a cafe at the moment, didn't feel it was really worth the effort.

Are you coming back to Aust in the near future, Rob?

mcrae

Likes Bikes
Congrats Iian!!

What coffee did Hazel use? Spewing I missed the live feed...
not sure mate, i didnt watch any of the performances either, id say the live feed will be put into a youtube vid at some stage in the coming weeks...

pretty disappointed with what i got pulled up on in my performance but they were things i did. there were a couple of judges comments that i wasnt very pleased with either but the majority were helpful. my coffee didnt taste quite right either but, tis the nature of the beast. scored just off perfect with my technical though so pretty stoked with that.

if you're going to compete dont cut corners, everything needs to be done right.

place getters were

hazel de los reyes - 1st
paul asquith - 2nd
hugh kelly - 3rd
alex stathis -4th
trisatya dharmawan - 5th
dylan johnson - 6th
iain mcrae -7th

other than that i dont know. considering entering open heats for nationals. pretty happy with placing 7th behind all those guys, every one of them has competed before and placed in the top 3. there are 3 former NSW winners and 1 australian winner in that lot. and i scored 10 points behind what won last year so yeah...

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's awesome mate. Bit of bitch that it didn't all quite fall in place for you, but like you said that's competition!! What kind of comments were they?? I imagine with Saxon running the judging things would have been pretty tight.

You should give nationals a shot! What's the worst that could happen eh?

I heard Richard doublemacchiato did pretty well for himself? Also Frankie Shi?

Have a look at THIS Just started working there. Bikes and coffee... Life is good!!

mcrae

Likes Bikes
That's awesome mate. Bit of bitch that it didn't all quite fall in place for you, but like you said that's competition!! What kind of comments were they?? I imagine with Saxon running the judging things would have been pretty tight.

You should give nationals a shot! What's the worst that could happen eh?

I heard Richard doublemacchiato did pretty well for himself? Also Frankie Shi?

Have a look at THIS Just started working there. Bikes and coffee... Life is good!!
they were just about my table setting, which was fine i had a placemat spoons and a napkin. i used drip trays, that i polished and cleaned, and one of the judges said "oh your drip trays were scratched" i just about blew my top. otherwise my scores were all relatively good.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Until an offer came my way. To stop being a barista and run the cafe.. for less money but something for my resume.

I'm in two minds and this is my last resort for opinions. Combined the three cafes I'm in charge of do 10kg on an average day, is at a national monument, captive audience but very variable trade. Up to 20staff to coordinate and can get very challenging with a 'discerning' crowd.

My two issues are that I'm on a base rate of around 26/h and I'll be taking a big hit in pay and getting taken away from what I love (coffee) but I'll have stable pay, plenty of extra time off, responsibility and something good for my resume.

It's worth noting this is a promotion at the same location I'm at. I know the place inside out and can do this job... I just don't know if I want to.

Anyway I want thoughts from coffee peeps. Anyone a boss? Will it get me a Better look in if I was applying at your cafe, even if I'm only there for a few more months? (Planning on heading snow bound for winter) I've been at the same place for 18 months ands stayed through a liquidation so I've definitely proven my loyalty.

Sorry for the unload but there's plenty of opinions on here.

And just to guarantee it...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Anyone made coldpress?
What ratios and times worked for you?

Unless someone has a better idea soon I'm going to try 1:3 coffee:water sitting for 24hours in a french press using a fine grind.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Anyone made coldpress?
What ratios and times worked for you?

Unless someone has a better idea soon I'm going to try 1:3 coffee:water sitting for 24hours in a french press using a fine grind.
I found ~1:2 worked with what I was using. Not enough balls for including milk and other stuff.
Ground mega coarse and left for 24-48 hours in a regular pitcher then just strained through muslin or a super fine tea strainer (or carefully sipped from the jug)

Play with it until you get your desire d result. Is great having coldbrew ice cubes for those hot January morning rides

mcrae

Likes Bikes
go with the management job, but try to talk up your pay, it doesnt make sense that you'll be paid less to do more. keep working in management til a nice place is looking for a manager or you want to open your own and then you can use whatever coffee you want and make it however you want.

if you go to another cafe you will probably end up making coffee for nth amount of years who knows everything and everyone and is still earning $26 and hour.

making the progression into management gets you a more stable job and a more stable future as far as im concerned. even though making coffee is great, you need a progression of your working life. and if it all goes to shit, you will still be able to make coffee and have a management on your resume.

a very relevant post from james hoffman on the subject: http://www.jimseven.com/2012/08/12/how-to-make-coffee-a-viable-career/

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Cheers McRae, the most helpful of anyone I've talked to just about

Took the job if anyone's interested

mcrae

Likes Bikes
after having a blend of all fully washed and semi pulped coffees we have had a natural put in for 3 days worth of coffee.

its surprising how quickly the flavour gets off putting.

ferment is gross and should be kept in alcohol.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The ferment flavours shouldn't be overly present in the cup! What coffee was it anyway?

Just sitting in the first ever starbucks in Seattle right now. Seeing them make coffee the right way is inspiring. Drinking it is offensive to the palate... sigh.

Also went to the stumptown cafe/roastery today here. Super impressed. Staff are incredibly friendly and kept throwing different coffees my way.

Brought home a jar of this... Haven't tried it yet but I'm expecting great things. It smells amazing!!

http://buy.stumptowncoffee.com/el-salvador-kilimanjaro-kenya-process-1.html

EDIT: It's probably worth mentioning the producer... http://stumptowncoffee.com/producers/aida-batlle/

She's been doing some pretty amazing work withing the coffee community. I'm a little out of the loop of the Australian scene but here in north America she's deveolped a bit of a cult following... Finca Tanzania was probably my favourite coffee of 2012 so I'm expecting some pretty great things!!

Last edited: