Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm certainly no connoisseur, have the slightest clue about REAL coffee but I do like it alot.

I just perked up an espresso on the stove top. Using Moccona medium roast. Nothing special but I'm loving it.

K3lvinator

Likes Bikes
I drink Robert Timms instant and whatever looks good like Harris for the coffee machine. Makes me dehydrate if I ride and drink coffee tend to empty the camel pack half through the ride. Try to keep my caffiene intake to human levels :D

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
25 pages on coffee. Love it.

Just back from a month around Europe. Had better coffee in Croatian petrol stations than I get here in Melbourne.

One great day involved (road) riding around Lake Como, Italy, starting & finishing in Bellagio. Climbed the Madonna di Ghisallo, then had a machiatto. Then decended & up a 10km climb. Up top had lunch including a cappucino, ciabatta & apple torte. 20km descent & then ride around the lake back to Bellagio. Finished with an affogato in a cafe in town. About 27 degrees, sunny & no wind that day. Pure cycling heaven.

Matt

Binaural

Eats Squid
Road riding in europe >> road riding in Australia. Especially if you spend a few days on the road at a time, heading from city to city and just living light.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Ah, man; How i'd love to know howto make a good coffee and have the money to buy a decent machine. I spend so much on coffee each week and half of them almost taste worse powdered coffee. On that note, i had a really good late' this morning, about time. Good coffee around my area is a rarity.

Robb

Likes Dirt
Robb; what do you think of the ranicllio grinder?
Is it worth the extra dosh over the competition (i hear they sell for around $400-$500?)
Im happy with it... but I dont really have anything to compared it to except a cheaper $200~ burr grinder which it is obviously better then. It is a bit slow, and sometimes clumps up a little bit. I think we paid $350 or so for it, and the doser model was low $400, but it could have been on special at the time.
From what I have read it is a good domestic grinder, plenty of reviews and comments on coffeesnobs about them

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Im happy with it... but I dont really have anything to compared it to except a cheaper $200~ burr grinder which it is obviously better then. It is a bit slow, and sometimes clumps up a little bit. I think we paid $350 or so for it, and the doser model was low $400, but it could have been on special at the time.
From what I have read it is a good domestic grinder, plenty of reviews and comments on coffeesnobs about them
I have one at work for decaf beans and hate it :p It clogs up, it's slow, it clumps... It'd be a good home machine for sure, because it's nice and consistent, but jesus it takes an age to grind.

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
OK to add to the thread, I always wonder where I get good coffee when I am in a different suburb or town. I didn't think it was worthy of another thread.
But feel free to put great coffee shop locations, where to buy beans as well.

Double Shot in Deakin, Canberra has great coffee not too mention great food.
Olio's in St leonards, Sydney just in the train station great coffee.

Cosmorex - Fyshwick Canb, good equipment, knowledgeable staff and roast their own beans.

7 days until I can get a real coffee, I can't wait!

ahh coffee :) i have/had a pretty serious habit of between 3-7 double-short-blacks / doppio each day. Luckily most of the shops at the uni i work at all serve a reasonably decent shot - but I have an el-cheapo machine (sunbeam, some base model) in my office that with a fair bit of practice, also pulls some decent shots!

I buy the coffee from "Mocopan" on albert st (right near bell st intersection), some of the best coffee I have had, but I admit I haven't shopped around much :)

5 days ago I quit cold turkey... trying to lose some weight, and altho it shouldnt, high caffiene intake seems to slow down my weight loss. Had a day of headaches but seem fine now... temptation with the machine sitting right there is pretty crazy tho ;/

Last edited:

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went to the belaroma cafe/factory at brooky this arvo and had the best affagato ever. yyuummm
Whats the go with that place? I'm always meaning to ask our coffee reps, but never think to at 8 in the morning:rolleyes: Is it a legit cafe attached to the factory or what?

We just got a new Mazzer Super Jolly stepless grinder to replace the ageing POS we had before. The first shot I pulled using the new grinder was better!!
We may even be getting a new 3 group machine to replace the Unic Tri Diva because it keeps haveing boiler problems or something stupid...

jrewing

Eats Squid
yeah legit cafe attatched to the factory serving gourmet rolls, pastries and the like. Might make it ritual stop before Oxy on saturdays now too.

Hugle

Likes Dirt
Whats the go with that place? I'm always meaning to ask our coffee reps, but never think to at 8 in the morning:rolleyes: Is it a legit cafe attached to the factory or what?
Sockman; the cafe there is pretty awesome, they make an excellent coffee and its pleasant sitting outside :)
They also run barista courses (did one there about a year ago now) and sell coffee machines as well as belaroma beens (at pretty reasonable prices!)

Jeremey

Likes Bikes
MMMM... Coffee I am going downstairs to make one now in my little vaccumy thingamabob it is easy and delicious.

BT180

Max Pfaff
As you guys said Belaroma in Manly Vale is the Sydney HQ and it's cafe is pretty good. You should see the price of some of the espresso machines they have for sale. :eek:

http://www.belaroma.com.au/belaroma/coffee-centre-2017.htm

They also sell Gusto products which is the type of coffee my corner cafe (http://www.cafesplat.com.au/home.html) sells. Better than the Belaroma stuff I reckon. John, the owner of Splat is a keen mountain biker too so it's easy to go in, have a chat and support the local business. :)

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They also run barista courses (did one there about a year ago now) and sell coffee machines as well as belaroma beens (at pretty reasonable prices!)
Yeah, I know this much... We serve Belaroma at work...

As you guys said Belaroma in Manly Vale is the Sydney HQ and it's cafe is pretty good. You should see the price of some of the espresso machines they have for sale. :eek:

http://www.belaroma.com.au/belaroma/coffee-centre-2017.htm

They also sell Gusto products which is the type of coffee my corner cafe (http://www.cafesplat.com.au/home.html) sells. Better than the Belaroma stuff I reckon. John, the owner of Splat is a keen mountain biker too so it's easy to go in, have a chat and support the local business. :)
A GOOD commercial machine, even 2nd hand, will cost upwards of 7 or 8k. Much like Mountain biking, really! And Gusto is one of their lesser brands... Belaroma tend not to give two shits what you do with their coffee, as long as it isn't belaroma. If that makes any sense...:confused:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A GOOD commercial machine, even 2nd hand, will cost upwards of 7 or 8k.
A few weeks after I finished school, they bought a 2nd hand machine for the year 12 building, which also doubles as a music performance centre etc. etc.

11k.

Yet they couldn't afford jerseys for the open boys football team which were series winners :rolleyes:

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few weeks after I finished school, they bought a 2nd hand machine for the year 12 building, which also doubles as a music performance centre etc. etc.

11k.

Yet they couldn't afford jerseys for the open boys football team which were series winners :rolleyes:
My respect for your school just skyrocketed. Make them pay for their jerseys.