COMPUTER HELP MEGATHREAD - ask questions and offer solutions here!!!

Rob rides

Likes Dirt
Serious computer problems.

Okay, so I was on my computer, doing the usual facebook and rotorburn etc. Anyway, I think I accidently knocked a key and all of a sudden it had that icon that comes up next to your mouse when you're trying to move something and it wouldn't leave(that little dotted square thing). Anyway, the problem was that after that I couldn't click anything (when I clicked the mouse the computer wouldn't react) so being an absolute downie at computers I decided that the best thing to do would be to hold down the power button and then restart the computer. All went well with logging in but I still couldn't click anything at all so I did the same thing again, and now when I put in my correct password and username it says my username or password is incorrect! (I tried MULTIPLE times and it still said it). So now basically, I can't log in and whatever I try to click will not work. I think windows may have somehow reset my username and password? Can anyone out there please help because this is a serious problem at the moment. I'm on a laptop with windows seven and I'm using the inbuilt laptop mouse incase anyones wondering.
Thankyou, bye

Edit: It logs in now because i tried with safe mode on and I think I needed a propper administrator username or something (school laptop and network).
But I still can't click anything.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Okay, so I was on my computer, doing the usual facebook and rotorburn etc. Anyway, I think I accidently knocked a key and all of a sudden it had that icon that comes up next to your mouse when you're trying to move something and it wouldn't leave(that little dotted square thing). Anyway, the problem was that after that I couldn't click anything (when I clicked the mouse the computer wouldn't react) so being an absolute downie at computers I decided that the best thing to do would be to hold down the power button and then restart the computer. All went well with logging in but I still couldn't click anything at all so I did the same thing again, and now when I put in my correct password and username it says my username or password is incorrect! (I tried MULTIPLE times and it still said it). So now basically, I can't log in and whatever I try to click will not work. I think windows may have somehow reset my username and password? Can anyone out there please help because this is a serious problem at the moment. I'm on a laptop with windows seven and I'm using the inbuilt laptop mouse incase anyones wondering.
Thankyou, bye

Edit: It logs in now because i tried with safe mode on and I think I needed a propper administrator username or something (school laptop and network).
But I still can't click anything.
Rob,

Windows can not reset your password. You may have deleted important files, your profile may have become corrupt, but there is noway "Windows" can reset/change/do anything to your password.
My advice, take it to your Systems Administrator at school and get them to fix it for you.

Landon

Likes Dirt
Computer Trouble

You're not using one of those Lenovo S10 things are you? They're a terrible example of a computer and another expensive government bungle. I'd hate to be the IT support guy/girl in charge of these things at the local school.

Rob rides

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, i took it to the tech guy at school and he had it fixed within the day..... i just had some important homework and crap to do but thanks guys

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Computer monitor help!

Anyone know wtf's broken with my computer to give it that weird red shit over images? I get it on flash videos too, but worse and sometimes the video doesnt work at all...

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe check your video card drivers and cables to the monitor. I get it when the hdmi cable plug moves on a funny angle.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
I'm going to have to go with your graphics card is overheating, pull everything out of your computer (cable wise), take the side off and blow out the entire case with an air compressor paying close attention to the PCI slots and RAM DIMM's and CPU Fan and PSU Fan.

If that makes no difference it could be something as simple as a Video Card driver that has compatibility issues and you could rollback to a previous version.

If it was a CRT monitor I'd suggest a Degauss but I'm going to have to presume you have an LCD monitor because lets face it who doesn't these day.

Another thing you could do is try different refresh rates, DPI settings and clear type fonts

Some food for thought...

Shredden

Knows his goats
Computer Problems

Hey guys,

I have a school computer - Toshiba Portege M780. It is running windows 7 enterprise. Got it new about 3 months ago.

My problem - The wireless drops out. I have had my computer re - imaged a few weeks ago (to no avail), so I think it could be a hardware problem. Basically it works fine, normal speed etc, and then it just drops out, and says "no networks are available". Restart the computer, and it works again. Seems to do it mostly when I am watching videos. Any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I am a noob, but I do receive updates from the admin like twice a week, always install them and restart etc.

And yes, it happens at my house, and my grandparents (both belkin routers) and it happens occasionally at school.

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
If it is a Wireless N card, I would suggest setting it as Wireless G as routers tend to have problems with mixed unless the router is dual band.

b0ing

Likes Dirt
Does anyone else with the same laptop have issues? If no, it's probably a dodgy wireless card or it might need to be re-seated.

Shredden

Knows his goats
If it's a school computer why don't you just take it to the tech and get them to sort it for you?
Reimage #1 and #2 were meant to fix it, if anything its worse now. Takes sooo much longer to start. I think ill go try and get it sent to toshiba under warranty tomorrow.

0psi

Eats Squid
One for the computer gurus

So the missus was on the laptop the other night and it froze. She hit the power button to turn it off then switched it on again, it did the usual windows start up recovery thing and it was fine for the rest of the night. Tried turning it on yesterday and it went to start up recovery again which didn't work and then checked for disk errors and then nothing.

I checked for memory for errors (one of the options from start up recovery) and no errors were found
I've tried a couple of system restores to previous dates, none of which were sucessful. Does the usual system restore thing and after it finishes I get an error message.

Computer is a Dell something or rather running Windows 7. I'm not exactly a computer wizz (most of you will have figured this out by now) but any help would be appreciated. Rather not have to take it down to the local computer guys as courtesy of my work schedule I won't be able to collect it for another 2 weeks which is a bit of a pain.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the error message? A blue screen with white writing? At what part of the startup process does it fail?

nonch

Likes Bikes
Rather not have to take it down to the local computer guys as courtesy of my work schedule I won't be able to collect it for another 2 weeks which is a bit of a pain.
If you get it back within two weeks consider it a win in itself! Mine was away for three months when I took it into Harvey Norman for repairs under warranty!

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When it first powers on there should be an option to enter a menu (usually F2 or F12, can't remember which, one is boot set up, other is BIOS).
I forget whether its in the BIOS or the boot set up, but run a 'system diagnostic'. That'll tell you if something is fundamentally flawed with the PC.

This is well before Windows even comes into it, i.e. before "startup recovery".

What you have sounds sorta like a hard drive failure, if that's the case then you want to deal with it ASAP to minimise data loss.