Computer wont start

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Any ideas?

I have a laptop, Acer, not bad cost about $1,200 new less than a year ago.

Anyway, today it just won't turn on. Nothing. Nada.

I press the power button, nothing.

I have tried plugging the power supply into different outlets, nothing.

I have taken the battery out and tried just starting it with the power supply only, nothing.

It is never left on for long periods of time, always shut down correctly, still plenty of room on the HDD, all legitimate non pirated software.
It's had an easy life. A bit of itunes, a bit of internetting, maybe several dozen a few word docs created that's about it.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Have you tried taking the battery out *and* having the power brick disconnected? Leave both power sources disconnected for a minute or so, then plug the power brick in. Try that.

And when you try to turn it on, does anything happen? Is there a LED signifying it's got power, or that it's charging?

Failing all that, throw it out the window and go for a ride.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
potentially dead power brick?
if the battery is that drained it wont turn on, and a dead brick aint going to help.

does anything light up/flash on either the brick or the pc itself? (mine will flash the power LED briefly if i try turn it on with almost zero charge, ie. not enough to get it going)

you can get cheap generic power supplies from the likes of dick smith that will work with a variety of laptops just to confirm...

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried turning it on and off again?:wave:

seriously, Are there Hdd lights turning on? can you feel the Hdd start to spin?
Of not, try:
- New wall socket
- Different power cord
- Remove and re-seat the batt.
- Check the power cable with a different power cord.

- If its looks dirty, give it a wash, computers need a good wash every now and then.:brushteeth:

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
how good are you with a multimeter? If you know what you are doing measure the output of the transformer. Should be the same as whats stated on the side. At least then you can eliminate the power pack as a possible problem.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Grab your multimeter and check the power supply is doing what it says on the sticker (ie. 20v or whatever yours is). As above, there's a chance you've just drained the battery dead flat and the PS isn't charging giving you enough/any power. If the PS is doing what its supposed to, and leaving it all disconnected for a few minutes doesn't fix it or your getting no charge light, then I'd say it needs to see a doctor.

Also, try swearing at it louder (I assume you've already taken mooreys advice) or in another language, chances are this laptop wasn't built in an English speaking country so it might not know what your saying!

Sent from my Xperia Go using Tapatalk

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Ring the ACCC and tell them its just not fair dammit
Hahahahahahaa!

It's gotta be battery related. I'd chance calling around to some places that stock common batteries and ask if you may test their battery on your laptop. If it works, bingo! If not, ram raid the joint later and keep their laptop from the counter.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had the same issue with my Dell a while ago, 1 day before a 4 day work trip.

A quick trip to JB Hi FI fixed the problem ($750 and a new Acer).

I did call a computer guy who has done a bit of work on our machines who said most likely it was dead.....

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
If the computer won't start - how did you post this thread?

Huh? Huh?
Work puter.

Well, I pulled the back off the computer, changed the CR2032 battery (the one shaped like a ten cent coin), put the back back on and plugged it in, presto!

Don't know why this would have made any difference, but it works now.
Thanks peeps!

Minlak

custom titis
Work puter.

Well, I pulled the back off the computer, changed the CR2032 battery (the one shaped like a ten cent coin), put the back back on and plugged it in, presto!

Don't know why this would have made any difference, but it works now.
Thanks peeps!
Pure coincidence the motherboard battery won't stop it starting. You had a short somewhere and the opening of it fixed it for now. Back up back up back up while you can.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From your description, You re-set the c-mos. Sounds like a dodgy diver/system setting/bios change could have caused it.

slowmick

38-39"
i had an ACER that did a similar thing - the on/off button was directly connected to the motherboard and it slowly fatigued and broke off.

If you got it started back it up as you may not have too many more starts. a non-working laptop very soon an expensive frisbee :frusty: