Concussion

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I fell off my bike about 4 weeks ago and I gave my head a solid whumping with a resulting concussion - no loss of memory (unfortunately I was aware and felt every damn thing). (I saw a doctor and got a new helmet) I've been having low achy headaches reasonably continually since that time.

When should I go back to mountain biking?

I have been commuting to work each day on a low stress route and cognitively I am fine. I mostly haven't been mountain biking since it has been so hot. I'm not prone to falling off but...

Anyone with experience with concussion? When will the headaches stop!

Freediver

I can go full Karen
They should have stopped. Time to go see a doc. I can think of a few possibilities off the top of my head, none of which your going to fix with an aspirin.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
mine didn't stop for weeks, probly a couple months really. I had a CT a couple days after due to intense headaches, but was ok and ibuprofen helped immensely. IIRC a few weeks after when my head didn't hurt from regular stuff I tried to ride, but landing on anything (and I do mean anything, even going down a curb) hurt like a bitch so I waited longer. I'm not 100% what happened as no one saw it, but my lid wasn't cracked at all so couldn't have been too bad. It sounds like you should talk to your gp tho, for clarity if nothing else.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I would have thought if commuting has been fine, you should be able to start on some very gentle XC, I'd be trying to minimize any rock garden type hammering though, and a duallie will go along way. My back certainly knows when I've been on my hardtail

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Weird question, where are the headaches located and if you massage the area, does it help?

If yes, then it could be the fact that the skin and nerves on the outside of your skulls are still recovering. It could also stem from a strain in your neck, spin, etc from the crash.

But if external stimulation doesn't really help then I would see another doc. 4 weeks is a while for your noggin' to recover from your average concussion and it's better safe than sorry.

In terms of getting back on the bike, if you up for it, go nuts. Though I imagine that the headaches could get worse under the stress of physical excursion.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've had a few concussions, but can't recall ever having headaches for more than a few days. I'd probably drop into the hospital and work the head injury angle pretty hard to avoid having to wait too long or visit multiple doctors with referrals etc.

With most of my concussions I've been back on the bike in a few days at most. The delay is usually more from other injuries.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Symptoms of head injuries can appear days/weeks later. I would go to the hospital/doctor just to be sure. I crashed back at Christmas, no recollection of hitting my head and no new marks on helmet, but later that day I felt nauseous, forgot a couple of simple things, and had headaches and felt really tired, so went to the hospital just in case. Still not sure if I hit my head or not, but better safe than sorry, especially if you're experiencing recurring headaches.

big gags

Likes Bikes
Weird question, where are the headaches located and if you massage the area, does it help?

If yes, then it could be the fact that the skin and nerves on the outside of your skulls are still recovering. It could also stem from a strain in your neck, spin, etc from the crash.

But if external stimulation doesn't really help then I would see another doc. 4 weeks is a while for your noggin' to recover from your average concussion and it's better safe than sorry.

In terms of getting back on the bike, if you up for it, go nuts. Though I imagine that the headaches could get worse under the stress of physical excursion.
I was getting some pretty severe headaches a couple of years ago and vibrations through the handlebars on cross country riding were sending shooting pains through to my left temple and it got to the point that the impact of my feet when walking was sending shooting pains through my head!! I hadn't had a fall and eventually went to the doctor who initially ordered scans to check for a possible brain tumour. I was shittin myself but everything came back negative and he said that it could be related to some tightness in my neck. Long story short - I ended up going to see an Osteo and initially was doing weekly visits and the headaches went away within 3 weeks. I then went out to fortnightly, then monthly, then two monthly, and I now go about once every three months or so for a "tune up" on my neck.

Obviously I have no idea what your situation is and can only recommend that you get back to your doctor for further diagnosis - just sharing my experience and supporting the comment above about a neck problem potentially contributing to your headaches.

Gags

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I had a pretty good sized subdural hematoma quite a few years back. It took maybe 6 months and a few CT scans to sort out the associated, lingering issues; headaches, hearing and eyesight weirdness... All good now.

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
I use my head to break my fall alot - last count of concussions was about 9 that I could remember (ya know, cos of the concussions) over the past 15 years. I have never had headaches continue after the day of the concussion, my main symptoms have just been dizziness, lack of motor skills, etc.

I would say first step should be back to the doc to get your head checked out. If that shows nothing a physio or osteopath might be a good idea, as you'd be surprised what having a tweaked back and/or neck can do to the rest of your body

Hope it all pans out ok in the end

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Sooo...I went back to the doctor (at everyone's behest) and apparently it is reasonable to expect symptoms to last up to 3 months!

I am ok...apparently :) Thanks for all the help

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I can't believe nobody has raised the urgency of which the OP should see a Chiropractor!
I tweaked my neck yesterday at work and couldn't move my head left at all. By lunchtime it hurt to eat and my head was pounding to the point I felt like having a spew.
My bro in law is a Chiro and popped in at home to have a look. A minute of checking it out and 2 adjustments and it released everything and I feel great.
Not saying that's the fix in this scenario but they are not all quacks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I tweaked my neck yesterday at work and couldn't move my head left at all. By lunchtime it hurt to eat and my head was pounding to the point I felt like having a spew.
My bro in law is a Chiro and popped in at home to have a look. A minute of checking it out and 2 adjustments and it released everything and I feel great.
Not saying that's the fix in this scenario but they are not all quacks.
I saw an episode of the three stooges. My opinion is sealed.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Friend landed on his head in a crash, went to see chiropractor, who didn't do X-ray, did a " gentle manipulation" and sent him home. I rang said friend, insisted he go to hospital now, or I'll drive over and get him, so he goes to hospital - C3 and c4 non displaced fractures.

Fucking very lucky that Chiro didn't make him a quadraplegic - professional? Get outta here - if he was a dr, he'd have been struck off with the patients history. Quack is an insult to ducks