Confessions from the fuckwits

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Snapped derailleur hanger mid-way through last CX race a few weeks ago.

Ordered single replacement, wanted to wait until Wheels Manufacturing stock arrived to by further spares.
Waited for it to arrive. Got a chance to put it on last night after work, racing this coming Sunday.

Snapped one of the three attachment screws, leaving remainder of screw inside hanger, evidently 7Nm was too high. Fuckwit.

Going to race on it, there's two other screws....

Went to order another replacement and spares... none in stock. Fuckwits.

DJR

Likes Dirt
So i have this niggling issue with my rear brake. I had to pull the emergency stop to end all emergency stops on the rear SLX brake last weekend. In doing so, not sure if it was loose due to my error or something else, the banjo bolt on the caliper came loose and squirted oil over the place including my rotor and pads. OK, so i got some bush mechanics on it and the lever was spongy for a while but the brakes worked although with nowhere near their normal power, and sounded like i had Avids again.

So what do i do but just try to get away with sanding the pads and rotor. This doesn't really work. Blowtorch the pads, no joy. Got new pads. Put the rotors in the dishwasher for good measure. New pads don't work that well either, there is clearly air in the line.

So i go to bleed them YET AGAIN, and i'm at the point of tightening up the bleed port on the caliper. Oh, i dont remember it being loose? Just tighten it up a bit more... more... more.. It's not tightening (clearly i am stripping the bolt or thread).
Well at least I made a comeback from fuckwittery with the xt brakes.fitted up with old (washed in ct18) rotor and stock ice tech pads, put ice tech pads in front slx caliper, all working sweet after a short bed in down the street. Ordered a spare rotor just in case but didn't need it.

Thank god I got that sorted before Rotorua next week. I still have to shorten the brake hose by 15cm but I'll just leave it for the moment and remember not yo tighten the bleed port so much in future. At least I have a spare hose and lever now

Gripo

Eats Squid
Might be 2 in 1 F'wit moments here depending how you interpret it....

Did a "shall remain nameless" and pulled my Reverb Stealth out to get a weight on it....as I wanted to see how many grams could be dropped by going to another brand if post... :feather

Uninstall/reinstall meant splitting the line and hence got a bit of air in it somewhere as the post would only return when the remote speed adjuster was all the way at + end....

So I thought I'd bleed it today, followed instructions and it sort of went well...but the posts return speed ie. fast or faster at - or + end of the remotes adjuster...hmmmm

So, sent the next hour looking at manual/sram utube vids....only to find the solution in a random british cycling forum, too much oil in the system apparently?

So back to the shed, unscrew the bleed screw on the remote a few threads and gently push the button in a little and pull it back out...couple drops was all it took, Reverbs return speeds are now normal...

Oh, Reverb wasn't as heavy as I thought either....could of weighed it all those months ago and saved myself some time today....next time maybe?

Gripo

Eats Squid
Manufacturers quoted weight might differ by 1 gram to the actual weight of the part which just won't cut it for a weight wiener.

They gotta know for themselves.
Lol....570g is what RS claim....but a few Ti bolts and a cut to length hose make it near 520g...so..

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 2 month old Trek Emonda SL6 road bike fell over. Landed on another bike. Cracked top tube. Fuck.
Had 11spd XTR on order for my Orange 5, had to cancel order, cant afford new group and new road frame. :fish:

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
My 2 month old Trek Emonda SL6 road bike fell over. Landed on another bike. Cracked top tube. Fuck.
Had 11spd XTR on order for my Orange 5, had to cancel order, cant afford new group and new road frame. :fish:
Seriously? It fell over (so, i'm assuming minimal force involved..) and that was enough to crack it? I wouldn't feel comfortable riding a bike that bloody precious.. Do you have to make sure you stand up before you fart while riding just in case the extra downward pressure cracks it around the BB???

Beej1

Got to my riding buddy's place - riding buddy who's always late for everything - and he hasn't removed his pedals like I asked, so he could then put them on my other bike I was lending him for a ride. I know he's only just started looking, but I get the "Can't find the right sized allen key" ... because he's got Crank Bros pieces of annoying shit that are above the lowly depths of being able to be removed by a normal pedal wrench.

In a livid mood at him being late again on a day I'm time poor but still had time to get spare bike set up for him, I calmly walk to my car, get my hydration pack, bring it back, get my bike tool (which I'm sure he has one of, but hadn't thought to use) and remove the non-drive side arm in a jiffy.

Bike tool in this case is the classic wrong tool for the job, but I'm pissed that riding buddy is late again, and just want to get on the trails and be done with it. But those crank teeth on the big ring of his 3 x 10 (really?) look quite menacingly close for the amount of force I'm going to have to apply to get this fucking pedal off. Still ... fuckwittery prevails and I try and undo it anyway, and hand flies off small, badly leveraged bike tool and goes thumb-first into old, worn, extremely sharp crank teeth, good 1cm slice over knuckle then under base of thumbnail, into sub-thumbnail flesh and across and out. Blood everywhere. Pain of an surprisingly high level (now I know why fingernail pulling is used for torture). I swallow about 100ml of blood because for some reason I stick it in my mouth, then walk into his kitchen, wrap it in paper town and head home saying very little for fear of opening 9/10 of a can of whooparse on him ... even though it's my stupid fault for trying something that was destined to be full of fail. Classic fuckwit.

stirk

Burner
Did it fall over a second floor balcony onto another bike??

I'd say that frame was destined to crack next time you rode it so it's warranty job for sure.

stirk

Burner
Got to my riding buddy's place - riding buddy who's always late for everything - and he hasn't removed his pedals like I asked, so he could then put them on my other bike I was lending him for a ride. I know he's only just started looking, but I get the "Can't find the right sized allen key" ... because he's got Crank Bros pieces of annoying shit that are above the lowly depths of being able to be removed by a normal pedal wrench.

In a livid mood at him being late again on a day I'm time poor but still had time to get spare bike set up for him, I calmly walk to my car, get my hydration pack, bring it back, get my bike tool (which I'm sure he has one of, but hadn't thought to use) and remove the non-drive side arm in a jiffy.

Bike tool in this case is the classic wrong tool for the job, but I'm pissed that riding buddy is late again, and just want to get on the trails and be done with it. But those crank teeth on the big ring of his 3 x 10 (really?) look quite menacingly close for the amount of force I'm going to have to apply to get this fucking pedal off. Still ... fuckwittery prevails and I try and undo it anyway, and hand flies off small, badly leveraged bike tool and goes thumb-first into old, worn, extremely sharp crank teeth, good 1cm slice over knuckle then under base of thumbnail, into sub-thumbnail flesh and across and out. Blood everywhere. Pain of an surprisingly high level (now I know why fingernail pulling is used for torture). I swallow about 100ml of blood because for some reason I stick it in my mouth, then walk into his kitchen, wrap it in paper town and head home saying very little for fear of opening 9/10 of a can of whooparse on him ... even though it's my stupid fault for trying something that was destined to be full of fail. Classic fuckwit.
Makes it all the more painful when you know that what you are about to do will most likely result in an injury but you do it anyway! I've done that a few times also.

Seems to happen in slow motion too as if your mind is predetermining the fuck up.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
How the hell do you buy a bike from the clink?
Same way most of us do..... Internet. Wouldn't want them to be inconvenienced in jail by not having the internet.... and pay TV and swimming pools and tennis courts, and all the other things most of us don't have access to....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Agreed.

Fuckwittery #1: You got a road bike.
Fuckwittery #2: You cancelled an XTR order so you could fix the roadie?!!