Confessions from the fuckwits

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Confession is good for the soul right ?

Finally got some guides for the Foxy and fitting them up I had to bleed the rear . Set everything up remove pads get syringes ready and screw them in and start the bleed . Move fluid from one to the other and then get into it . WTF !!! I all of a sudden have a heap of fluid spraying from the caliper all over the place . Grab worklight , look into caliper and there`s pistons hanging out and I`m like " huh " how did that happen . More to the point where the hell is the bleed block ? Look around on the floor - nothing . Look on the bench and there it is . Despite having done a few Avid bleeds , I FORGOT TO PUT THE BLEED BLOCK IN !

Olbert

Squid
So I was heading down the Luge at Mt Stromlo on my three years old XC bike (the only bike I own). I have been feeling confident of late - so I was taking the berms wide and trying to make all the (sane) jumps. As I got to the fire trail at the end of the Luge I felt something off on my back wheel. I had a quick look to see if it was flat - nope it wasn't - so I kept riding. Up over the bridge on Old Duffy, over the table tops - getting as much air as I could - round the big berm, pedal a few big ones and over the double. I didn't quite make it but the landing wasn't too bad. Kept going, getting a bit of air over the last couple of table tops, then over the fire trail and down round the hill to the big "double black" drop (if anyone has been to Stromlo, all the features are marked as double black no matter how green they are). As I said, I was feeling good, so over I go - at full speed! I land kinda hard, but it's a big drop with a flattish landing - what can you do. I smash down the last few metres to the carpark and turn to wait for my SO.

I get off to check out my back wheel. I better check the spokes, one of them looks kinda bent. So I lean down and pull the bent spoke out of it's hole. Shit!

I check the next spoke. Shiiiit! That one has gone too!

Then a third! FUCK!

A fourth! and a FIFTH!

Phew, that's it. No more - the next is fine. And the next.

Except - FUCK - a SIXTH SPOKE is gone!

Holy shit! I feel like I just broke a record - six spokes gone!

...and I feel like a fuckwit.

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
6!! Epic work mate!

Ok I fucked my brand new Defy roadie. 10 days old and I get a flat. Go to change it and the rim tape is lifting up. Didn't think to much of it and change the tube. The next 3 rides in a row I get a slow leak. So at lunch today go and get some new rim tape and a new tube. Stick it all together while eating noodles. Pump it up and it seems good.

Stick it on the bike and use our work floor pump and just as I get to 100psi pssssssshhhh! Something has cut the tube right open.

Dammit.

Put my spare tube in and start pumping and yep.. 100psi and psssshhhh! Another bloody flat! I think the rim tape I got wasn't wide enough so it's catching on the spoke holes. Taking to the LBS tomorrow to save me.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Just bought a new shifter cable for my Talon, got the shifter off and new cable in then realized I was working on the wrong bike.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Double whammy. Don't need to take the shifter off to change cable, fuckwit!
I believe the true fuckwit method would be to try to change it while on the bike :)

Once the top is off you also need to remove the 3 bottom bolts so top half of the frame can come off. Shit setup, not like the GX or XX1 shifters.

Attachments

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I believe the true fuckwit method would be to try to change it while on the bike :)

Once the top is off you also need to remove the 3 bottom bolts so top half of the frame can come off. Shit setup, not like the GX or XX1 shifters.
Don't you just remove the single bolt on top to remove the cover?

hakka

Likes Dirt
Don't you just remove the single bolt on top to remove the cover?
Yep, but cant access it due to the brake. The cable end can't be removed with the frame in place, in the lowest gear it doesn't sit in the same place as gx/xx1, it's down near the shift levers, and is blocked by the frame.