Confessions from the fuckwits

LPG

likes thicc birds
I've finally started rebuilding a wheel after the rim became too mangled to seal up tubeless. I am a smooth enough rider to not need inserts... Apparently that isn't the case. The old rim was offset and I found that I could keep the spokes by replacing the wheel with a raceface arc heavy duty rim as it had identical erd and near identical offset. The spokes weren't old so this seemed like a good plan. MTB direct had the rim on special when I realised I needed it so I was very happy.

I started changing rims by lining it all up and making sure I had the valve core hole in the gap without the crosses and the spoke holes were lined up (left to left, right to right). I loosenedall the spokes and then one by one I moved the spoke to the new rim and put a new nipple on. It was a good process and worked out well. I got it all laced up and started tightening the spokes. Got it close to tension and put it into my expensive multipurpose "truing stand" (upside down bike on a table. I get the small hop out and get in running within a couple mm. I'll use the last few go rounds to tighten it in the direction it needs to centre to... Three times around and the spokes are about final tension but we are still a ways off centre...

After putting all the effort getting the right rim and offset I put the rim in backwards so the offset was pushing the rim further off centre instead of towards the centre. Now to keep spokes right aim going to probably put them back into the old rim to hold their place then back into this one, unless I can use tape to hold then in the right place well enough to flip the rim around ... I am a fuckwit

PJO

in me vL comy
I've finally started rebuilding a wheel after the rim became too mangled to seal up tubeless. I am a smooth enough rider to not need inserts... Apparently that isn't the case. The old rim was offset and I found that I could keep the spokes by replacing the wheel with a raceface arc heavy duty rim as it had identical erd and near identical offset. The spokes weren't old so this seemed like a good plan. MTB direct had the rim on special when I realised I needed it so I was very happy.

I started changing rims by lining it all up and making sure I had the valve core hole in the gap without the crosses and the spoke holes were lined up (left to left, right to right). I loosenedall the spokes and then one by one I moved the spoke to the new rim and put a new nipple on. It was a good process and worked out well. I got it all laced up and started tightening the spokes. Got it close to tension and put it into my expensive multipurpose "truing stand" (upside down bike on a table. I get the small hop out and get in running within a couple mm. I'll use the last few go rounds to tighten it in the direction it needs to centre to... Three times around and the spokes are about final tension but we are still a ways off centre...

After putting all the effort getting the right rim and offset I put the rim in backwards so the offset was pushing the rim further off centre instead of towards the centre. Now to keep spokes right aim going to probably put them back into the old rim to hold their place then back into this one, unless I can use tape to hold then in the right place well enough to flip the rim around ... I am a fuckwit
You were going so well and then bam, the offset killed you.
Bugger.
Would try it with tape rather than lacing back into the old rim. Gonna be fiddly.

LPG

likes thicc birds
You were going so well and then bam, the offset killed you.
Bugger.
Would try it with tape rather than lacing back into the old rim. Gonna be fiddly.
I know, it was coming together so well. I've never relaced a rim without putting new spokes in and I was really happy with how it was coming together, until I realised the bit I stuffed up on.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
In a similar vein. I serviced my dropper today. Put the thing together backwards. Then fixed that, before installing the saddle backwards the first time as well.
You’re not the one that ordered a pointy Ali Express carbon saddle?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Doing a bit of bike maintenance.

Takes off the back wheel, loosens UDH to regrease the inside to stop a potential creak and inspect carbon swingarm.

Slips UDH back into place and reads the torque settings, 25Nm. Puts 8mm bit in torque wrench, looks at directional arrow and starts tightening.

Tighten, tighten, when's this going to click, then it gets easy, very easy. Its a left hand thread as the UDH moves back on a rock strike.

Fucking torque wrench only torques in the normal tightening direction, not lefty. Threads ripped out of the UDH.

Its still held in place by the thru axle but not ideal.

Just as well they are cheap and readily available from normal bike shops.

cammas

Seamstress
So as per my LTIH post, after having a slow leak yesterday I got home last night and the tyre still holding air so I assume the sealant has done it’s job, um nope wrong answer. Get up in the morning and it’s soft again so a couple pumps of the track pump and it’s sweet again.

Knock off work fingers crossed it’s firm enough to ride ;) Yeah nah, so I try and fix the communal track pump no dice, so I grab my mates Lezyne pump, similar to what I just ordered after a few pumps it’s firm enough to ride, use the bleeder valve and disconnect it and a bit of air comes out, okay, then a lot of air, fuck out comes my valve core, FML
So I put the core back in only tight as my fingers can get it, mmm….. I’m not going back to Curve again that’s just to embarrassing.

Thinking what I could do so I grab the another track pump that’s missing it’s head and just put the hose over the valve, a couple of pumps it works so I jam the hose on harder and pump the shit out of it. It’s now firm enough to ride, so it looks like the sealant has dried up and it’s time for new sealant.

Now to top it off V/Line announced the platform has changed so I go there and nope they fucked up, so now I’m jammed onto a later train that’s packed to rafters, so when I get home I’ll pull out the Salsa and just ride that to work tomorrow because now I can’t be fucked screwing around with sealant etc.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Interested to see how you go after a few more rides. Currently on Supacrush but always interested to try something else.
Well, given my hand relaxing antics with the supracush's I thought I might do the same with these oneup grips since they are ribbed for pleasure.

But had a good hit out on them last night and even though my hands and arms were munted from some very labour intensive work during the day the one ups were excellent.

I was very conscious of the ribs on the first descent but quickly forgot about them and just enjoyed the ride.

EDIT: Just to be very clear. I am talking about the grips :p

teK--

Eats Squid

that's gotta be worse than fitting a tyre on backwards... with cushcore

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Soooo as pretty much the final part of the bathroom rebuild wife thought that the section of floor that was at the end of the new bath could do with a plant. Something like a dracaena. Ikea has some nice dead plastic plants and lo have a suitable dracaena. Throw the pot into a galvanised bucket, top it with crushed marble and it works. Grabbed to odd dried arrangement too so they can supplement the real things in the house. On the way out she picked up a potted orchid, that will go nicely in our ensuite. A week later and the orchid seemed to be losing flowers. Odd. No worries maybe the shower or something isn't suitable for an artificial plant. A few more days and more lost blooms. Hmmmmmm. Put my reading glasses on. Ummm wifey? Yes. It is a fucking real plant and it needs water... From Ikea. Apparently yes.